Dash leather lifting | FerrariChat

Dash leather lifting

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by THE VATICANTS, Sep 5, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. THE VATICANTS

THE VATICANTS Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    VATICANT
    Anyone else have this happening on their Cali T?
    It’s not that big over deal but I’m still wondering why? The car has always been garaged, it’s in Los Angeles and even on hot days it’s not like burning hot in the garage….
    Should I leave the windows down a bit when parked for longer periods? Would that even make any difference?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. mcw

mcw Karting

Aug 10, 2008
    Ferrari interiors frequently use concave surfaces. It has been my experience in Southern California that Ferrari interior leather has a tendency for slow shrinkage which can contribute to separation in concave regions from the underlying surface to which it was adhered. This happens on my 2016 Cali T presently, and has happened on other Ferraris I've had over the years. There also can be bubbling at the top horizontal upholstery central surface between the explosive rollbar elements.

For another observation, my 2015 Porsche had headliner collapse this year. Apparently Porsche is known for this feature and it is a failure in the adhesive after 7 years.

THE VATICANTS likes this.
  3. Joe_CT

Joe_CT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 16, 2007
    CT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #3 Joe_CT, Sep 5, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2022
    My 2014 Cali lived in Newport Beach, CA before I bought it about a month ago. It was very well cared for but having a similar issue and will be something I will have addressed in the future but it is a big job to pull the upper dash out to re-leather it. Unfortunately, no matter how well it is cared for and stored, the glue tends to fail in time allowing the leather to lift.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Bill Phillips

Bill Phillips Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    My 2013 has lifted in exactly that spot. I don’t really notice it so unless it gets much worse I’ll just leave it alone.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    The problem as I understand it, is Ferrari uses only glue on the leather instead of stapling the ends, so heat and time will loosen it eventually. If the repair is stapled as well, it should be one and done.

6. miamiron

miamiron Karting

Sep 3, 2016
    Would applying steady pressure and heat over these areas "reactivate" the adhesive and get the leather to reattach to surface? Possible placing something between the leather an an iron pressed for 30 seconds (so the iron isn't touching the leather directly)

7. Bill Phillips

Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    That’s correct. I found this problem last year while I had the turtle back off to address a different issue. I didn’t think about stapling at the time because the problem only showed up at the edges underneath so I just used a very high quality adhesive.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. SLC4S

SLC4S Karting

Jun 21, 2022
    Full Name:
    Nate
    man thats crazy that this is a consistent issue. I thought this problem was solved a decade ago. I've had porsches, audis, bmws, land rovers, jeeps, all with leather dashes that I street park in the sun and never had leather issues on the dash. Thought it was a thing of the past.

9. mcw

mcw Karting

Aug 10, 2008
    It's my impression that Ferrari uses more concave surfaces than other car makers on interior bits covered in leather. A concave surface stapled at extremities will not hold its concavity against "pulling" by leather shrinkage. "Pulling" in the curves seems as common as sticky buttons on Ferraris. Ferrari uses Poltrona Frau leather, does any other car manufacturer use same? Maybe there are differences in leather performance and adhesives over time. Bubbling in Ferrari leather seems more likely related to adhesives giving up the adhesion, so maybe a combination of adhesive and inner surface of leather finishing method leading to degradation in grip with changing chemistry?

10. Bill Phillips

Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    But I’ve seen it happen just as frequently on convex surfaces.

11. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Are there any good dash repair shops in SoCal?
    Happening on my Vanquish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I have had success with leather lifting by usinf a hot hair dryer on the leather until I can push the leather back down and it resticks no guarantee .. but it worked. For me a couple of times ..
    Cost nothing and took only a few minutes i used a plastic putty knive or trim tool and got it to restick..using a cloth to wrap the tool to avoid scratching ..

Carbon Bits likes this.