430 - Dash repair with windshield removal? | FerrariChat

430 Dash repair with windshield removal?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Snapshift, May 3, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Snapshift

Snapshift Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2020
    Centralia IL
    Full Name:
    Lyle D. Pahnke
    I've got the dreaded leather shrinkage around both the defroster vents that show about 3/8 in yellow foam exposed when looking in through the windshield at the vents. The rest of the dash is neat, no wrinkles etc., just around the defroster vents.

I recently had my "dropped leather" headliner replaced by an upholstery shop and asked him about a possible repair for the vent shrinkage. He didn't feel that he was experienced enough to remove the dash and recover it but thought he might be able to effectively repair the vent shrinkage by re-stretching it around the vents if the windshield were removed.

Would this be possible? It probably would be a lot cheaper to remove a windshield than the dash. Or is this a crazy idea? Thanks for any advice.

2. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    The dash comes out a lot easier than the windshield and it's very unlikely to be broken during the process as it's made of metal. The windshield is highly likely to crack or break if it's removed so unless you are planning on a new windshield, I'd leave it alone.

Besides, to do a proper job, the dash appears to have to be removed.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  3. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    When I bought my 430 it had the same issue as your car. The dealer was putting in a new windshield because it was scratched. I asked them to re-stretch the dash leather and glue it into the vent openings. They tried, but it came out like crap.
    A few months later I ordered the metal vents from Rizzo on this site and had the dash removed from the car and recovered. This is the only way it will look good.
    The first upholsterer screwed up the stitches per inch on the new leather, so I tore it off and got a full refund. I then took the whole dash to an upholsterer in Carson, CA, who works out of his garage. It came out perfect.

Don’t try to reuse, or use the OEM plastic vents, they will pop loose and the dash leather will shrink again. The metal vents attach from the bottom side with nuts so the metal vents will stop the leather from pulling loose.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

unreelviper and SAFE4NOW like this.
  4. Snapshift

Snapshift Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2020
    Centralia IL
    Full Name:
    Lyle D. Pahnke
    Does Rizzo make metal vents for the 430? The beautiful ones I see are totally different that I see on that thread, but I guess they are for the 360. I'll PM him. Thanks for the advice. It is just as I thought. Are there any diy instructions for 430 dash removals?

5. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Yes Rizzo makes the metal vents for the F430, that’s where I got mine from. He’s in Australia so they take a while to ship to the U.S.

I haven’t seen any instruction on how to remove/replace the dash on the 430. I got lucky and found a guy that knew what he was doing. He charged me $400 to remove it and $400 to replace it.
    I couldn’t pay him quick enough.

The dash recovering was $1300 in materials and labor, and took about a week.

If you are anywhere near Santa Clarita, CA, I know he would do yours too.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Snapshift likes this.
  6. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    If the leather has pulled around the vents, it will not be long before the top of the dash wrinkles as well. If you pull the dash now, you might be able to restretch the leather and hold it in place with Rizzo's metal vents. Several of us have done that successfully. Dash must be pulled and removing the windshield will not make that any easier.

unreelviper and Snapshift like this.
  7. Jb-Slow

Jb-Slow Karting

May 11, 2020
  8. DrivnXcitment

DrivnXcitment Karting

Apr 29, 2006
    St. Augustine, FL
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    How many small plastic tabs were broken in the process? lol. Invariably there are always snap fittings, plastic tabs, etc that break any time I remove pretty much anything car related.
    Do we have a DIY for dash removal? I haven't seen one yet.

9. Jb-Slow

Jb-Slow Karting

May 11, 2020
    Zero, everything is bolted together. There's a good how-to on youtube.

DrivnXcitment likes this.
  10. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    This is one of the most endearing qualities of a Ferrari: The lack of use-em-once tabs and plastic fasteners. These cars were made to be taken apart and oddly, put back together again. Take the 360 instrument cluster for instance. The bolts holding it in are actually visible. Remove the bolts and the instrument panel comes out. What other car manufactured after 1970 can claim that?

The only use-em-once parts I've found on my 360 are the ear clamps scattered around the car. I actually don't mind these as they are easy to use, very secure and look much better than the standard hose clamp.