Database Programs? | FerrariChat

Database Programs?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by SefacHotRodder, Feb 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Ok, i tried using act for this but couldn't figgure it out (if someone wants to, PLEASE fill me in on how to).

Basically i need a program where i can define the fields. I want to open it and a box to pop up with the fields i have defined, i want to enter the info and click ok and the info entered into a registry that i can add to whenever i want.

I hope thats clear

cheers

Chris

2. lesterm

lesterm Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Durham, NC
    Microsoft Access is a pretty simple dbase program that might work for your purposes.

3. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
  4. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    thanks guys, i'll check those out

5. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    ok, i'm using access. do i set it up as a table, form, query or report?

6. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    You want to create a new TABLE, defining the fields in DESIGN mode ("Design" table).

Then, when you want to enter data into the table, you want to open the table up in DATASHEET mode ("Open" table), where you can add records ("rows") as needed. (In this view, your "fields" are the columns).

Note that, in this use, you've basically set up a custom spreadsheet with some nice database features behind it (data integrity, search ("queries"), etc.). This is like a "flat" table or flat database. If this is all you're doing, you may investigate using Microsoft Excel... A bit easier to use for simple rows/columns.

Private Message me if you need more help.

I recommend getting Que Press's "Special Edition Using" Microsoft Access 2000 or 2002--those books are gold.

--Mike

7. Jay

Jay Karting

Nov 13, 2003
    Charlotte
    Full Name:
    Jay
    With Access, the first thing to do is create a table. Add all the fields you want stored with each record. Each field has a type and length. Then create a form. The wizard will walk you through it. As long as all you want is a simple form to display and enter records. It's all automatic.

8. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    K5, PM me your # and a good time to call... i've been working with ACT! for damn near three years...

9. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    ACT! has only a bit of a learning curve, and is good for basic databases. I hear it is not very open though, so moving your data later might prove to be problematic. Access is quite powerful, with a steeper learning curve. You won't go wrong with FileMaker Pro.

In a database, you have to track one-to-many relationships (eg. one owner, many cars). To show these relationships in a spreadsheet table, you will end up repeating data in one column (eg. owner's name if there are multiple cars), or you will need to leave blank cells in that column. You will hit limitations pretty quickly unless you master the pivot tables function. So don't use Excel unless you know you will not progress beyond a simple grid.

You can import Excel tables into spreadsheets at a later point, though, so it can work as a temporary solution until you move up to a database program. But avoid the hassle and go with the full-fledged program you are ultimately going to end up using.

Of those, FileMaker Pro is the best choice for starting out with.