Dave Maraj | FerrariChat

Dave Maraj

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by BartonWorkman, Jul 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
  2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    very sad.

I don't think he got enough credit for legitimizing ALMS back in the early days of the series. Champion was the team that put that series on the world stage.

88porsche944 likes this.
  3. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Very sorry to hear.

I met him many times at his Pompano dealership or at tracks (never actually had a chat though) and he was very welcoming, he did fantastically well with his team and dealership.

I recall being at daytona many years ago when his team was just starting, I was in the Champion hospitality bus late at night during the 24 hours after his car had retired when Brian Redman was giving him pointers about how long it takes for garage mechanics to become racing mechanics etc and he was taking it all in very carefully...to great effect: not many privateers have won Le Mans.

This is the only further news I could find, it does not mention a boat accident but rather a drowning...?

https://wsvn.com/news/local/champion-porsche-owner-among-3-men-dead-in-apparent-drownings/

RIP

4. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    #4 BartonWorkman, Jul 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
    A friend found this on a local news website and passed it along.

Apparently he was docked in Boca told his girlfriend he was going back to the boat, it looks like he
    slipped off the boat hit his head and drowned then all went looking for him, divers found him under the
    boat.

What a shame, such a nice guy. While I didn't work for his teams directly, I did work with Audi so had a lot of interaction with Champion Racing during the R8 days. I was dispatched to Champsion's race shops when they debuted their R8.

Remember most the close finish between Tom K and Allan McNish at Sebring with Tom maintaining
    a very small lead on the last lap came on the radio and said "Do we want a formation finish?" to which Brad Kettler and Dave Maraj told him "No! Maintain speed!".

BHW

5. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Thanks for that Barton, like Schumacher a tiny error with tragic consequences...

6. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    You're welcome Marc.

Always hate to be the bearer of bad news like this but Dave Maraj was a giant in our
    business here in South Florida.

That he won Le Mans overall as a privateer speaks volumes about his passion and
    commitment.

BHW

Nembo1777 likes this.
  7. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  8. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    A memorable Dave Maraj story happened at Sebring.

Can't remember the year exactly but must have been 2004-2005 during a semi-private media
    event. I wasn't on the list but snuck in anyway when I spotted Dave Maraj and another guy
    talking and pointing in my direction.

I was about to say, "Okay okay, I'm leaving..." when Maraj came over asked me my name which
    I provided, thinking I was now in real trouble and security was going to haul me out.

But, it wasn't the case, Maraj was told I had some first hand knowledge about Sebring and
    asked about the track, all the changes, all the crazy stuff out at "The Zoo", etc. that had
    happened there. He was fascinated that the North-South runway was used while planes
    were taking off and landing right alongside the cars at speed before the course was altered.

He was genuinely interested and listened intently as we talked for 15 or 20 minutes.

He was a true enthusiast and student of the sport.

BHW