Dayco / Isoran timing belt? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Dayco / Isoran timing belt?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Stearman22, Nov 10, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Stearman22

Stearman22 Rookie

Aug 12, 2008
    Dana Point, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey D. Campbell
    I am still attempting to get Dayco's side of the story (horses mouth) but, as of today they have not replied!

2. Stearman22

Stearman22 Rookie

Aug 12, 2008
    Dana Point, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey D. Campbell
    I have found that the Dayco has two divisions, one in the US. and one in E.E.C. (Euro.) Belts are made in both places.
    You can tell this by reading your belt.
    Daco tells me, Our standard warranty in the US is 12,000 miles or 12 months.

Dayco US. is helping me find out more about OE and after market but, is still working on the info and will get back to me so, keep checking back for the REAL differance between logo no logo belts.

Jeff

3. Stearman22

Stearman22 Rookie

Aug 12, 2008
    Dana Point, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey D. Campbell
    Okay guys, straight from the horses mouth,

Robert Christy at Dayco Products, LLC is the Director of Marketing at Dayco USA

Here is his response to my questions,

Jeff, I apologize for the delay in responding. The timing belt part
    numbers we use in the United States are 95xxx number and the 94xxx numbers
    are parts distributed in Europe.
    The majority of our timing belts are made in Italy for Europe and US.
    I looked up your 94984 part number and we do
    not have a "95" cross that is sold in the US. I'm sure the distributor you
    purchased this from imported this from Europe. I do know that Dayco
    supplies the majority of the timing belts for Ferrari. These belts do have
    both Ferrari and Dayco logos printed on them. Most of the belts in the US
    have date codes and I'm checking if the European belts do as well. Our
    standard warranty in the US is 12,000 miles or 12 months. If you like,
    please give me a call and we can discuss where your belt came from and how
    to proceed. Thanks

Robert Christy
    Dayco Products, LLC
    Director of Marketing

I did call him and he came up with some more answers as follows,

Jeff, hopefully the following answers all your questions.

The after market belt is the same construction as the OE Ferrari belt.

The production data code 08214196 means: 08 (year 2008), 21 is the 21st
    week of that year and 4 is the 4th day of that week. The 196 number
    represents the belt position inside the production mold.
    The minimum self life is 5 years.

(I think he meant Maximum self life?)

The European Warranty is as follows:
    The warranty on Dayco products shall be effective for two years starting
    from their installation.
    If a manufacturing defect of the product is detected, Dayco shall at its
    sole discretion return the sale price or replace the products within a
    reasonable time limit.
    Dayco shall bear shipping and installation costs for the new replacement
    product, and any indemnification obligation shall be excluded.
    The warranty shall not apply:
    - if the defect results from standard wear and tear caused from using
    the product for its intended use after a mileage corresponding to the
    mileage indicated by the vehicle manufacturer and provided that the
    power transmission components involved in the movement are in standard
    operating conditions; or
    - if other power transmission components of the vehicle caused the
    defect of the product on account of insufficient and incorrect
    maintenance; or
    - if the product was not used for its intended purpose: not applied on
    the model(s) of engine indicated in the catalog, used on competition
    engines, etc.; or
    - if the product was not installed by following the recommendations of
    the vehicle manufacturer for the specific model and/or the instructions
    enclosed with the product by Dayco; or
    - if the product was not stored, transported or handled appropriately; or
    - in case of accident.
    Within two months of detecting the conformity defect, not only shall the
    retailer or fitter send Dayco the defective product or allow its
    technicians to inspect the product, but it shall also provide Dayco with
    the following information in writing:
    - product type/code;
    - product installation date, vehicle’s mileage at the time of
    installation and at the time the defect was detected;
    - vehicle’s data (model, cylinder capacity, engine code, year of
    manufacture);
    - documents giving proof of purchase of the product (invoice or receipt);
    - name and address of the end user;
    - description of the detected defect;
    - irregularity reported by the end customer.
    If the retailer or the fitter fails to send the documents and/or
    information required under the previous paragraph by the above-mentioned
    time limits, the warranty shall not apply and therefore Dayco shall not
    be held howsoever liable for the detected defect.

Robert Christy
    Dayco Products, LLC
    Director of Marketing

I asked if the "FERRARI" belts go through any other inspections or anything that would make the belts a higher quality like being from the middle of the band or barrel?
    He told me that the whole band has to be made with the logo or, without logo so the whole belt, even the ends are "FERRARI" LOGO. Robert also told me the following,

I was told the only difference is the logo and both belts go through the
    same quality inspections.

Robert Christy
    Dayco Products, LLC
    Director of Marketing
    Office:

So, there it is guys, you be the judge! I want the best for my 355 interference engine but I am not a sucker for name brand prices (being the same product). I also don't buy Shell helex, Mobil 1 SM 0-20 or, 0-30 for the hard driving, at less than 7 bucks a quart, I never have a good excuse for NOT changing the oil every 6 months or 3K.
    I will change my belts every 3 to 5 years with the engine out (I will do all the rest while I am there including H2o hoses and throttle bodies). Degreeing the cams are the right thing to do as well. I don't want to buy a Ferrari then live in fear of it exploding when I jump on the gas.

Thanks for reading, any input is welcome.

Poor boy

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Very interesting but does not change my original post. While a do it yourselfer has a low chance of getting a bad part that fails, in the shop our chance is many times higher. We return defective parts every single week before installation and a couple of times a month something fails after being put into service. It represents a large overhead item so we do our best to minimumize it. We do that in two ways. One is to use the best parts we can. Sometimes from Ferrari, sometimes not. The other is when equal parts come from suppliers with different policies we pick the one with a warranty policy that protects us better, particularly when the product cost is similar and the failure cost is high. Timing belts are one of those items. In some months we may install 50 of them. With that many going out the door the Ferrari logo is cheap insurance. We have had failures of parts that caused massive destruction of great cost and I am very well aware what is required to hold Ferrari accountable, I have done it more than once so to me saving a few bucks on a timing belt, an oil filter, a tensioner bearing and a few other things is a false economy.

5. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Very interesting Jeff!! :):)

6. Stearman22

Stearman22 Rookie

Aug 12, 2008
    Dana Point, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey D. Campbell
    Hi Brian,

In your position I might do the same thing. It's not not coming out of your pocket for the OE parts but, it is you paying for the return and time, parts, and a very dissatisfied customer that wants his car back yesterday.

But, if the belts are the same, they are the same. This post is "whats the real difference in belts" and I guess is for the owners more than for the pro shops.

However, if the belts are the same and I won't get or have a written guarantee from FNA or ? My investigation tells me, I may at best get a free belt?

Thank you for your very large knowledge base,
    Poor boy, Jeff

7. DMOORE

DMOORE Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Darrell

I would agree. from a business standpoint, using the Ferrari logo'd part is the only way to go. And as you stated, the DYI'er should be sure to get the new belt ( thanks to the date code info) and be good to go.

Darrell.

8. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    All very interesting. Thanks for the legwork Jeff.

Rifledriver,

I have always taken part quality for granted. These threads will make me think twice. In your experience besides the obvious defect for example a piece of belt missing from shipping damage, what kind of factory defects can be seen with the naked eye or are there some simple steps we can do to a new belt to look for problems like bending it and look for rubber cracks? Or maybe making sure the date code says a new belt is only "X" years from the date of manufacture? Thanks!

9. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Nothing. That is why I deal with a company that will pay for the valve job on your car if the part fails.

10. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Ferrari does have a written guarantee. Not only that so does Dayco. Theirs says you get a new belt just like I said. If the Ferrari part fails to do its job for the purpose for which it is intended on the car they designed and built with the parts that carry their name they are responsible to make you whole again. That is pretty much boiler plate stuff and it IS the way it works.

Been there done that.

Good luck getting Dayco to step up for a motor.

11. dersark_painclinic

dersark_painclinic Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    My belts are always done by ferrari dealer, I asked them to save the old ones, which they did. it says ferrari and dayco isoram on it only, it does not have the ferrari logo. Is that mean the dealer is not using the original ones.

12. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The word "FERRARI" is a logo when the long F is used. That has been discontinued on the belts. If it says Ferrari on the belt it is a Ferrari belt.

13. Fiat4Fun

Fiat4Fun Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2008
    Sunriver OR
    Full Name:
    Bob
    #38 Fiat4Fun, Nov 22, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
    SO,,

This makes sense to me, to use Ferrari belts. My question, if I have the dealer do my belts ( with factory belts) and I ask them to use SKF tension bearings from RA, am I basically taking the risk, as if the bearing were to fail, then I would be on the hook for the repair?

The local dealer offers a one year warranty/12,000 miles on parts and labor, but I would be concerned if I provided parts!

There has been comments regarding factory tension bearings. The ones on the car are from the dealer, and no issues on those yet!!! Installed in 2004!

Thanks in advance for sharing your opinion,

Bob

14. Stearman22

Stearman22 Rookie

Aug 12, 2008
    Dana Point, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey D. Campbell
    Here say,

I was told that the date code is not printed on the "Ferrari" logo belts?
    I don't know, can some one with a F logo belt tell me if you have a number that looks like this, it runs down the width and is white:

The 08 is the year
    the 21 is the week within the year
    the 4196 thru 4200 is the sections of the tube it was cut from.

thanks,
    Jeff

15. spaghetti_jet

spaghetti_jet Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2005
    Europa
    Full Name:
    Bob

Some pics here... http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?p=134913259#post134913259

16. pastmaster

pastmaster Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2006
    Alma, Michigan USA
    #41 pastmaster, Nov 22, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  17. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    Every product is sold with certain warranties. Those include (at minimum) warranty of fitness for a particular purpose and a warranty of merchantability.

So if Dayco makes the belts it is irrelevant whose name is on it if it fails as there is liability associated with the two above-stated warranties.

For certain Dayco does not make a belt more substantial for Ferrari than it does for general distribution.

So, the bottom line is that if Dayco makes a belt for use on Ferrari's, Dayco has considerable liability for a belt's failure independent of Ferrari! So a buyer of a Dayco belt is not w/o recourse against Dayco.

Thus, there are two pockets into which one can reach for damages if there is a product failure.

If only Dayco's name is on the belt, Dayco bears the liability; if Ferrari's name is on the belt liability is shared between those parties.

The bottom line is that a purchaser/user is protected either way!

If one sued for a loss with Ferrari's name were on the belt one would enjoin both of those parties at minimum.

Parts is parts; belts is belts.

Don't be misled.

18. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    You are correct Greg and you are a lawyer. You are giving exellent advice to those that really want to hire a lawyer to resolve a problem. I on the otherhand really like to avoid the use of lawyers and have had outstanding success at having Ferrari step up and accept liability for parts failures and am trying to share that information. They really do take responsibility to a degree that no other auto parts supplier has in my experience. They are very good about it but if no one wants to accept that it's OK with me.

I really am through with the subject though, it's not worth arguing about with people who have zero experience in the matter.

19. Stearman22

Stearman22 Rookie

Aug 12, 2008
    Dana Point, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey D. Campbell
    I have learned a lot from reading my first post.

I hope this post has shed some facts on the Timing belt subject and I throughly appreciate all views and have learned from ALL of them.
    From this post I have seen that there are many views from the trunk of the tree as I call it.

We are all climbing the tree in the same direction but being on a different side of the trunk we have different views.
    Now I can see what you see from the experience side of the tree (thanks to Brian), from the manufactures side (thanks to Robert), from the legal side ( thanks to Greg) and from the all the others, thanks again.

My goal is just to drive my Ferrari, not leave it in the garage for a multitude of excuses, not scrimp on the maint., not drive it at 3 to 5,000 RPM hoping it won't Grenade if I over shoot or have a vapor lock.

I bought a Ferrari because it is in my opinion the ultimate form of mechanical racing art. I love to here it, I love to wax it, I love to run it, I love to have the honor of working on it and buying the parts to make it as it was when new. F-chat has helped make all this a reality.

At your service,
    Poor Boy
    PS. If you guys have not taken the time to read the all inclusive oil article, do so NOW!!!! It's like eating 99% chocolate without the calories :0)

20. Fiat4Fun

Fiat4Fun Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2008
    Sunriver OR
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I also have learned from this thread. It makes me feel better about having a Ferrari dealer or mechanic work on my car. I too bought this car to drive, but I want to maintain it right. I am willing to work on certain things, but I do believe in paying for the experience on things that I don't have experience in!

Brian, can I assume by your post, that if a Ferrari mechanic or dealer installs a Ferrari bearing and it fails, it will be covered?

Thanks again for all the info.

Enjoy your weekend!
    Bob

21. ria

ria Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    ohio
    Full Name:
    phill
    NO one in this world is perfict, and it is OK to edmit wen you wrong if you think you are i have to say god bless you.

22. andy2175m4@yahoo.com

[email protected] Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy Rein
    My 308 came with Dayco Isoran belts with Ferrari ID, so they should be fine.

23. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    Does Ferrari stand even behind the older cars?

24. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Certainly.......waaaaay behind them.

They leave a heavy soot mark on the wall, when you start them up.....

25. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    I'm not so sure how seasoned a lawyer greg is. I'm also a lawyer (and very seasoned) and I live in a very real and practical world, specifically, I'd rather have to plead the case to Ferrari about my belt breaking than Dayco. Good luck finding Dayco and getting them to cover your bent valve job. In contrast, perhaps Ferrari will listen and cover the costs assuming proper documentation and proof along the lines of what Brian C suggests. So, it does, in fact matter if the belt was purchased through an authorized ferrari distributor or not (warranties of fitness and merchantability considered). Joinder shmoinder.

Incidentally, I believe the Dayco belts have a date stamp code on them that can be deciphered to determine if you're about to put a "brand new" 10 year old belt on your 3X8.

I prefer the "thinner" Dayco belts - they're lighter and therefore make my car go faster!