Daytona Electric Power Steering | FerrariChat

Daytona Electric Power Steering

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by jenmara, Jun 4, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jenmara

jenmara Rookie

Jun 19, 2005
    Just installed electric power steering in my Daytona and WOW! Speed sensitive and changes the car into a total joy to drive. Will change the car into the one you pick to drive when you head to the garage.

2. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #2 TTR, Jun 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
    Having enjoyed multiple opportunities to drive several Daytonas extensively, never felt any "needed" or could even benefit from power steering, though some might've had less than ideally maintaned or set-up suspension.

3. simonc

simonc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Herfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Campbell
    May I ask which type of electric power steering you fitted, as in which brand?

4. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    That's unfortunate.

While I'm sure the steering effort is reduced, I've yet to feel any electric power steering that had honest road feel. Even in the best OE systems the "feel" is synthesized, There is no better system than manual steering, and yes it is more difficult to park and at speeds below walking speed, but once moving, manual steering is fine and actually at speed on the highway, the steering forces at speed are generally lower than any power steering system.

5. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    OTOH, if any modification allows the owner to enjoy their vintage car more extensively, good for them.

Personally, I just prefer the period feel and handling of vintage cars.
    I even dislike the use of things like disc brakes, electronic ignition or modern gear reduction starters in cars that weren't designed for them, latter two often installed just as a "easy fix" to compensate for some other, underlying problem that still remain and can cause bigger issues in the future.

I do understand that most vintage cars today are not enjoyed quite the way they were originally intended to, especially GT cars designed for high speed, long distance leisure travel, but now as "collectibles" or "investments" their use is often reduced to brief trips to Sat/Sun a.m. coffee shop gatherings or concourses/shows, some times even transported to-&-from these within confines of an enclosed carrier/trailer.

Also, it seems many todays owners of vintage cars are perhaps too(?) accustomed to the "completely effortless" and ease of driving included in all modern day vehicles and often expect/want same from "classics", evident by ever growing line-up of SEMA "endorsed" aftermarket vendors, designing, producing and mass-marketing their "latest and greatest" wares to accommodate such desires.

I'm even fairly sure as soon as "self-driving" cars become norm, there will be gizmos available for vintage cars to do same.

6. jenmara

jenmara Rookie

Jun 19, 2005
    EZ electric power steering from the Netherlands. I am curious as to how many of the negative comments come from Daytona owners. I have a varied collection of vintage cars and find the Daytona's driveability at standstill hinders the overall enjoyment of the driving experience.

7. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    This system is designed to provide power steering assist at lower speeds (i.e. up to about 35mph). After that, the steering returns to normal/natural non-assist, etc.

8. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    I fail to understand: " the Daytona's driveability at standstill"...

I knew a 5' tall girl in the Uk that drove a Daytona like a dream, and she was rather thin, not to mention quite good looking...she never complained :)

Regards, Alberto

9. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    Try parallel parking one . . .

10. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Did the later Daytonas have a smaller diameter steering wheel? That can make a big difference at low speeds.

11. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #11 TTR, Jun 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
    Well, I have, on more than few occasions.
    While I admit Daytona takes a bit more effort than most cars I've driven/maneuvered at slow (walking?) speeds, they're still considerably easier than some "larger" pre-war cars I've done same with in past 35+ years.

My earlier reference to potentially underlying "problems" was not directed at OPs case, but merely to suggest that any/all such potentials should be considered, investigated and, if found, eliminated prior to adding new component as a cure.

For example, just a couple of years ago I received a request from a (new) client to retro-engineer/-fit one of these "EZ" units to a '30 Cord L-29 Sedan (think: very heavy/large/stiff, straight 8 w/FWD, etc.).
    Instead of just performing requested task, I insisted on inspecting everything in the front suspension/steering first. While the car was previously "fully restored" and drivable/operable, I discovered numerous ill- or non-performed maintenance/service/repair issues, including horrifying previously performed "repairs" (read: butchering) inside the steering box, which to correct required having to have new sector gear, worm gear & steering shaft made for it. The heart-stopping shock during this discovery was the realization I had just few weeks earlier test-driven this car at speeds exceeding 50 mph !!
    Bottom line: After performing all corrective repairs, including aforementioned, handling/steering improved enough that the owner was able/willing to live with it without the power assistance. Of course the unexpected time and money spent discovering and correcting all underlying issues might've been enough too, but I can only imagine (with horror) how things could've gotten worse quickly if the add-on assistance was installed without them sorted.

12. BIRA

BIRA Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2007
    Agree with you, very easy to switch off when driving to keep the normal feeling at speed and switch in on when maneuvering , which in period rarer,,as every Daytona driver could afford valet parking...no need to be masochist to enjoy classic cars,,,I am in favor of originality and vintage experience but not necessarily to have cross plies tires if same size can be found with radial. I was in MM the only one with correct size tires among 23 Gullwing and putting XWX is both stupid, dangerous, and visually challenging.
    But helping when parking or moving car slowly, don't share the view it is bad!!

13. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    If the system can be manually turned off or automatically turned off above a preset speed I don't see what the problem can be. What ever makes your driving more fun is what these cars should be about.

14. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Piece of cake :)

Regards, Alberto

15. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    When I talked to the EZ guy, I was more concerned that he said, that he had to drill a 10-12mm hole in the car to fit it!

16. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    I'll check with Vince but I'm reasonably sure when he installed the EZ system in Dad's Spyder conv it was direct replacement in parts terms and no cutting was required. Did require a little playing around with tyre pressures and camber etc to eliminate a big dead spot in steering on straight ahead though.