Daytona for sale-some TLC required ---------------------- | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Daytona for sale-some TLC required ----------------------

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by tonyh, Nov 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Oh yeah, and at the rate with which Daytonas and other production Ferraris are disappearing, this could be a harsh reality as soon as the year 2355.

2. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    :)

3. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Only 1,284 Daytonas were made, yet they'll be around for at least another hundred years? Just a reminder. There were HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS of passenger pigeons flying in giant flocks across America at one time. The last one died in 1914. Extinct. Gone forever. How long will the supply of 1,284 Daytonas last to fulfill the automotive desires of Ferrari collectors? At this rate, there's gonna be alot of "coffee table book" dreamers out there in Ferrari land throughout the future.

4. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    ROTFLMAO...!!!

Arlie, your bitterness is astounding; i'm completely turned off and have no desire to continue the conversation... At this point - just because you're SO BITTER - i ALMOST don't care about the fact that this car has pop up head lights and would ALMOST be willing to not even come back in this thread just so i don't have to watch you try to pull the world down into your own, depression-laden state of gloom and doom...

...but since i'm here... :)

As you know, there were only 36 250 GTOs made; remarkably, there are :::gasp!::: 36 still left...! & most of them get driven - one even wrecked a few months ago, but i bet it'll be fine by next year's race... There were only two (or was it three) AAC 815s made - there's only one left, but it's still in existence...! Some cars don't make it - it's like people; some die, some live and continue on... & there are a lot of "ultra rich people" with their "ultra expensive cars" - like GTOs, for example - that drive them; get them sideways on the track; take them to the gas station and fillerup, just like any other car... You know, just the other day, i saw a picture of a P4 on the Saw Mill Parkway (hmmm, where'd i see that?)... Your cynicism is as hypocritical as you think we are - if you're so gung ho about one wrecked GTB/4 being the difference between Ferrari happiness and Ferrari extinction, how come YOU'RE not bidding on it...?

5. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    NNO - last time I counted, there were something like 45 GTO's left; with new ones showing up all the time! (Maybe that's why Arlie is so crabby? ;--)

james

6. pauls

pauls Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2004
    If the biddders don't get carried away this piece of beautiful rubbish could part out nicely. The pop-ups are Ok. They started with sn 13293. Anybody want to say what it is worth?

7. pauls

pauls Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2004
    I don't think we have to worry about the Daytona being a lost breed. It's OK to send this one to the parts store. What's important is not to forget where sn 13383's hedge stone lies. Sad.

8. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    There were probably billions of passenger pigeons. All accounts say that they were delicious. They were easy to catch by net and by trap, but extremely slow to reproduce, which led to their quick demise.

By comparison, the reproduction rate of the Daytona is even lower, although they are much more difficult to snare. Most importantly, they don't make for particularly good eating. :)

9. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    LOL...!
    LMAO...!

10. barchetta

barchetta Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Anyone here have any idea how many Daytonas are still whole (i.e., have not been wrecked and subsequently parted out)?

11. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    P4 or GTO with a big engine? It's clearly not worth restoring, you'd do better with something not so badly wrecked.

Art

12. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Note yet another double standard: When somebody posted the photo of piles of nearly intact Ferraris that were used in crash testing, the board reeled in disgust at the thought of these cars been crushed into oblivion. Yet when a far more rarer Daytona could possibly be saved, the vote seems to be "part it out"! Where's the disgust now?
    Also, the fact that a restoration of any particular car should be monetarily "in the black" so to speak, is basically nonsense. Ferraris by their very nature are completely unprofitable, overly expensive, play toys. If anybody was SO concerned about the money factor, they wouldn't be into the cars in the first place.

13. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Exactly. Nobody's arguing that, either... So that renders your insipid bitterness and the rest of your post(s) wholly irrelevant. Thanks for stopping by; come again.

14. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    On the contrary NNO, you yourself in post number 17 were indeed arguing the "profitability" of a restoration of said Daytona:

So therefore, profitability must be foremost in your mind above saving a vintage Ferrari from the hack masters.

15. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    You failed to quote the part where i mentioned how many Daytonas there are and that 13383 is NOT a one-off car that the marque will lose forever if it's scrapped... Seriously, stop it.

16. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Sorry to bust up the on going scrap, but the current bid is £21k and reserve STILL hasn't been met :eek:

17. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    They must have jump started it....runs fine....idles smoothly .......good compression.....

I TOLD you about that Marvel Mystery Oil........I use it in all my stuff......LOL!

18. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Looks like somebody wants it pretty badly. Hopefully they have restoration plans for it. Seriously, I've seen more dignity given to 1939 Chevrolets when it comes to saving them from the crusher than I've seen from the Ferrari guys when it comes to saving one of their Horses. If it takes more than a repaint, the quickest answer seems to be "it's gone; part it out". Pretty disgusting in my opinion. It wouldn't make any difference to me if they made 100,000 Daytonas: it would still be worth saving if you're a dyed-in-the-wool car enthusiast. It's a high performance sports car, obviously of very limited production, so therefore it's well worth saving. Isn't this the "Vintage Ferrari" section and not the "Vintage Ferrari's being hacked into scrap metal" section?
    According to one previous poster, the engine is history because the butterflies were open on the carb. So well...... if the engine is history and the body is crushed and the frame is tweaked, then it's only good for cat food cans according to the F-chat experts. Sorry, but I disagree, and any true blue Ferrari buff would also agree. It MAY INDEED by scrapped out for its usable remaining parts, but it does NOT HAVE TO BE scrapped out. It could well be saved with enough effort.

19. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    DES, where did you find 1,284? My registry actually only counts 1,274.

And if somebody parts this car out, I'll take the turn signals.

20. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That 'expert' you are quoting might not really be 'expert' ya now?????

I agree with Horsefly, only because I know some GOOD frame guys...

It would also depend on where the rebuild parts came from.........if you can find used panels, so much the good...

You keep saving 'em, Horsefly!

Sorry, my car's ready for pick up, gotta go!

21. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    And Tex, speaking of panels, whatever happened to craftsmen who actually repair the original panels by beating them on sandbags or English wheel machines? And of course, a tweeked or mildly bent frame is no big deal at all. The "daily driver" rebuilders who buy wrecks for total rebuild have no problem with unibody wrecks. They rebuild them every day. So a car like a Daytona with a seperate frame would be no big deal. They rebuild old Chevy's every day. A frame machine doesn't know what brand of car is bolted on it. The lazer aligners don't know the difference either.

22. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I think the laser aligners don't like to be called lazy.

23. toto70_0

toto70_0 F1 Rookie

Sep 14, 2004
    NETHERLANDS
    Buy It

Bring it then to Piet Roelofs in the Netherlands, he will strip the car and brings the rest to Hietbrink. Next year you can expect a perfect alloy competition body on the then straightened chassis. Roelofs will pick it up from Hietbrinks and will install then the original engine back in the car, only then it will have much more power then ever before, and Piet will set the car up for your future winning race career.
    So it will take time but if you buy the car now you will beat everybody in 2006. And if you wreck it you will know what to do.

Happy winnings

24. grahamdelooze

grahamdelooze Karting

Mar 7, 2004
    england
    Full Name:
    graham de looze
    nicely said toto

25. PassionIsFerrari

PassionIsFerrari Formula 3

Aug 15, 2004
    My question is...Who in their right mind would let the car get to that point? Its not a Pinto. It would be like me wrecking my Maranello and being like, "well, I just let it sit in the backyard for 20 years and rust out...not a big"