Daytona fuel filler cap | FerrariChat

Daytona fuel filler cap

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Daytonafan, Apr 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    I had a nice run out in the Daytona today except for when I made the inevitable stop for petrol I couldn’t get the fuel filler cap cover open . After lots of cursing and some help from one of the other motorists I managed to get the cover open and fill up. Once home I tried to open it again and again it would not without some help. One open I had a good look at the mechanism and have two questions.

1. The actual mechanism seems to be fine as the hook retracts when the lever in the car is pulled. However at full retraction the end of the hook sticks out slightly. Is this correct or should it pull all the way in, indicating that the cable has stretched slightly?
    2. As you can see in the pictures below the end of the catch seems quite worn and has filled down the hole somewhat. What should this catch look like if it correct?

Thanks for any help provided.

2. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    1. a) It is likely that the release cable needs adjustment/tightening.
    b) Bonnet/Hood, Boot/Trunk Lid & Fuel Door all have (or should have) built-in secondary (i.e. back up) releases built in. In case of Fuel Door and/or its primary release cable malfunctioning, you're to open the Boot/Trunk Lid and manually operate the Fuel Door "hook" mechanism from inside the Boot/Trunk.
    2. Difficult to say from your photo(s), but cause for the apparent wear could be due to several reasons. When closed, is the Fuel Door resting snuggly against its rubber stop bumper or does it bounce loosely during driving ? Is the "hook" mechanism adjusted correctly ? Etc...

Daytonafan likes this.
  3. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Thanks Timo, i guessed there must be another release somewhere, will have a look for it later.

4. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    You're welcome Matthew.
    See owners manual, a.k.a. "operating, maintenance and service handbook", page 27 for illustration #15) of Fuel Door and #14/1 ) of Boot/Trunk Lid emergency/secondary opening details + instructions. Same for Bonnet/Hood can be found on page 25, illustration #12, item #4 (one on each end of the dash).

Daytonafan likes this.
  5. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Daytonafan likes this.
  6. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003