Daytona Fuel Tanks | FerrariChat

Daytona Fuel Tanks

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by dgunn365, Dec 15, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dgunn365

dgunn365 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    New London, NH
    Full Name:
    David Gunn
    I have not found a thread on cleaning the residue out of a Daytona's fuel tanks.
    Ours look pretty clean except for a light dried residue on the bottoms; they are out of the car.
    I am looking for any recommendations on a product we can use to flush out them out.
    Thanks in advance for any help here.

2. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    I clean motorcycle tanks with hot soapy water via a hose connected to my laundry sink (so I can use a nozzle to get the stubborn creases and seams). Rinse very thoroughly. Then, if it needs to be put back in service quickly or if it steel with a compromised liner, I use a full bottle of 91% rubbing alcohol to swish around…it is hydrophilic and dries very quickly. Aluminum tanks I usually just put in the sun until dry…which is challenging this time of year in the PacNorWet. Today was sunny!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

turbo-joe likes this.
  3. dgunn365

dgunn365 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    New London, NH
    Full Name:
    David Gunn
    Thanks for the response. I hope to start experimenting this week. My tanks are Al and it will be some time before they are reinstalled so drying should be no problem. I have used a reversed vacuum hose in the past for this type of drying situation.

4. dgunn365

dgunn365 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    New London, NH
    Full Name:
    David Gunn
    Update: loaded both tanks with a shot of simple Green; poured in a gallon of hot water; agitated the tank; and found that ten minuets later, on the tank with access, it was easy to rag wipe the layer of softened scum out. Sorry to say there was little you can do with the other tank because the two small 'ports' are baffled and there is no way to get inside to wipe things down. I settled for two SG applications; assuming anything likely to come loose will have dome so.
    We will count on multiple filter changes once we are gassed up.

5. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Be very sure to rinse all the simple green out of the aluminum tanks…then rinse them very well again…then, at least one more time. I wouldn’t have used SG in an aluminum fuel tank, but that is irrelevant at this point. SG greatly accelerates aluminum corrosion…usually a very controllable issue, but I worry about seams and nooks and crannies inside a tank.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. Hocakes

Hocakes Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2010
    FL
  7. dgunn365

dgunn365 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    New London, NH
    Full Name:
    David Gunn