Daytona hotrodding! | FerrariChat

Daytona hotrodding!

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Tspringer, Aug 25, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    I just got in a bunch of parts from Roelfs in Holland. Great looking stuff!

My Daytona already has a hotrod engine. Terry Girone rebuilt it in the late 1980s using factory comp. pistons, custom liners, hot cams, porting and polishing of the heads, custom big valves, trick valve guides and seals, balanced out perfectly and racing fasteners. Its always pulled very hard, has about 18K miles on the rebuild so far. I have been running velocity stacks with little bootie air filters and screens.

Now, I will be building a factory style cold airbox. Bill B. provided specs and plans but the really tough part of this piece, the front snorkle, has been provided by Roelfs. They have a VERY high quality piece that really will allow the carbs to pull in air from the very front of the car. I will be building and installing the airbox, replacing plug wires and in general giving the engine a good tuning.

Part of that will involve replacing the center section of the exhaust with straight pipes. The car currently has a factory style exhaust system in stainless steel. Very nice (and expensive) but not loud enough. The car will retain the stainless factory style rear resonators.

Anyone think the carbs may need larger jets to go with the velocity stacks and straight pipes center section?

Bill B. says the cars sound great with the straight pipes like this. Any other opinions? Bill would probably feel the car sounded great with straight pipes out the side and NO resonators, though small children may be permanently scarred by the noise. (cant say I wouldnt agree with him however!)

I am also completely rebuilding the suspension front and rear. All parts will be replated and everything underneith on the car detailed to be as nice as the top side. I got the adjustable springs/shocks units from Roelfs. Amazing quality parts, I am really impressed! These will not only stiffen up the suspension and allow fully adjustable ride height, but the shocks allow full adjustment while on the car so they can be stiffened for the track and loosened up for the street. I also got Roelfs 26mm front anti-roll bar. All of this should seriously tighten up the cars handling and make it more responsive.

I will post pics as the project moves forward.

So, anyone have experience with these suspension mods? Comments on what to expect?

I will be tracking the car this Oct. at Roebling Road with FCA. Cannot wait!

Also... lets hear from the purists! Am I destroying my cars value? (of course all original parts, restored to new, will be maintained...) Is it sacriledge to do such things to a Ferrari?

When done the only thing left that I will want to do is swap out the ring/pinion for Roelfs lower geared unit. This may drop the top speed from 175+ to "only" 150 or so, but acceleration across the gears will improve.

Terry

peterp and -K1- like this.
  2. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers

They (Roelofs, vist http://www.roelofsparts.com/ ) prepare the fastest Daytona Comps. Parts are very well tested.

3. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    Hi, Terry - in my eyes, you are not damaging anything. You are making YOUR CAR the way YOU WANT IT. When finished, you'll have something to be proud of - not preserving a car for the next owner.

There are always comments about what a person should or should not do to/with thier car but the final decision belongs to the owner and nobody else.

Just think how many times the wealthy owner of an old 225 or 250 just wanted something different. The old body was removed - often scrapped - and a new design comissioned. The result? Often stunning, possibly ugly but never wrong since it pleased the one person who has say in the matter - the OWNER.

In a few years, my GTC may become a GTS. Why? Because I want it that way.

ENJOY!!

Bob Z.

In my eyes, the Daytona is the absolute ultimate road car. When you blast past that yellow 330 GTC, be sure and wave to me.

4. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Bob, back in early 2001 I lived for a brief period in Lansdale PA. Once, coming home from work in Philly I got off the turnpike and saw a yellow 330GTC ahead going to the toll booth. I tried to catch up, but didnt make it before the Ferrari was through the toll plaza and gone.

Any chance that was you?

Terry

5. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    Yes, that was me. I still live in the area, in Souderton. I drive the car pretty much as regular transportation.

Where do you live now?

Bob Z.

6. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    You told me it was STOCK!!!!!!! LOL!

Just before you blew past that Boxer512!!!!!!! Only the 333SP passed us, IIRC.......:rolleyes:

Then my name tag blew out the window, and I forgot EVERYTHING. Must have been g forces, acting on my brain......

You going to get all that done by November 3, bro?????

7. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    He lives over there by Zupra!!!!!!

8. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002

LOL!

That was a fun day at the track. Many a surprised 355 driver when the old dog was all over their bumpers and then blowing past! To make it worse, we were clowning around. All that tail out sliding coming out of the 2nd gear corners on the back of the course was NOT the fast way around the track, but it sure was fun!

I will not be making it this year. Too many vacations planned. Vail in Feb. for a week of skiinig won out this year, but I do plan on going back next.

You should try to make the Southeast FCA track event at Roebling road Oct. 28-29.

Bob... I live just north of Atlanta now.

Terry

9. scylla6

scylla6 Rookie

Aug 9, 2005
    ct
    Terry,
    My daytona has the stock centers but straight pipes ( bent of course) at the rear. It sounds great, just the right sound and it seems like more power too. When I come down the front straight at Lime Rock it really howls! Hitting 4th it is screaming.
    The sound itself is not overpowering though in regular driving, just what you'd expect from a daytona. It puts all those v8's to shame. Although I have been black flagged for noise at the track on occasion. When that happens I just have to take it easy down the front straight for awhile. Pity.
    Tom

10. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Most fun I've had in a long time........thanks again Tspringer.

Only got one ride that day....glad that was it!

Chris Parr OWES me one! LOL!

11. bighitter2

bighitter2 Formula Junior

May 7, 2005
    virginia usa
    Full Name:
    chuck coli
    hi terry you let me in on the velocity stack screens for my red spyder we met at concorso 03 where did you get the booties for the screens? chuck coli..

12. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002

A company called Outerwears made them for me. You can find them on the web, they make all sorts of filters and stuff for racing, mostly sprint cars. Ask for their "chief engineer" and give them my name. He has done some additional sets to my specs.

Terry

13. Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo Formula Junior

Jul 22, 2003
    DC Metro/MD
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Terry,

I think it's fantastic that you chose to go this route with your Daytona. I personally feel that not enough owners of vintage F-cars go this route. Don't sweat what others think of your project as it's your car & are obviously free to do with it as you wish. It also sounds like these new mods are completely reversible (aside from any internal engine mods) so ultimately the car can be returned to it's original state if you ever want to. I can't wait to see pics when it's finished (or heck in-progress too!)! :)

-Ben

14. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    I really cannot fathom anyone ever having an issue with the internal engine mods. Ported and polished heads, bigger valves, polished combustion chambers, higher compression pistons, more aggressive cams.... these are all things the factory did themselves to the Daytonas they built for racing.

Bill B. and his gang of horsepower nuts have dyno results from the above techniques showing over 430hp. Carobu has a video on their website showing 425hp with the same basic mods. Getting such power from a Daytona engine is not rocket science, the stock engine left plenty of room to play. Such engines are also great on the street, not all peaky top end or tempermental down low. Carobu guy told me they built a full race engine that dyno'd at over 460hp!

What possible Ferrari fan could have a problem with MORE horsepower??? Any "purist" who were to balk at these type modifications for more power due to some sort of "originality" issues is in my book no Ferrari fan at all! If I were talking about converting to fuel injection or bolting on some supercharger that would poke through the hood, then sure I would be something of an idiot.

Terry

15. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    You're doing the right thing. Keeping stock parts, just not on the car. Meanwhile, you (and the Daytona) are having the time of your life.

16. -K1-

-K1- Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2008
    Northern Italy
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Great thread. How did you find the suspension upgrades?

17. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Terry
    when did you sell the daytona and where is it now?

18. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    From my experience the brakes were always the weak point of the car. I’ve seen where cooling ducts are routed to cool the master cylinders. Many Vintage racers are constantly overheating the brake fluid and experiencing fade, they are heavy cars by anyone’s standards.
    I’m certain that with today’s aftermarket there are some great alternatives

19. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    master cylinders? as I know there is only 1 master cylinder. you mean for sure the brake calipers? the heat start at those, not at the master cylinder

20. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    Most Competition cars were fitted with a dual master set up with a brake bias adjustment

21. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Aug 29, 2005........Holy thread resurrection batman......... :eek:

-K1- and readplays like this.
  22. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    dual master for sure, but dual master cylinder still is 1 cylinder and not severals. but no air duct to this cylinder

23. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    I’ll dig out my period photo

readplays and turbo-joe like this.
  24. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    that would be great david

readplays likes this.
  25. Dogdish

Dogdish Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2005
    Denver
    #25 Dogdish, Sep 18, 2023 at 10:06 PM
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2023 at 10:20 PM
    This is the Roelofs dual master cylinder set up. Each master does the front and rear. Brake lines need to get re-plumbed. The original inline 2 masters did one piston in each caliper.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

-K1- likes this.