Buy

Daytona Koni Details

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by murphyrg1, Nov 16, 2021.

1. murphyrg1

murphyrg1 Karting

Oct 10, 2012
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Full Name:
    Rory Murphy
    The West coast authorized Koni rebuilder, Performance Shocks, says that their color match of the Koni red used in the period might be a little too orange. Trying to decide if we should take a chance on it or have our painter have a go at matching to the color on the old shock (which might be a bit off now, too). Anyone have any experience with this? Also, I'm not sure that I have ever seen a winged Koni decal on any original Daytona or period picture - did the factory installed shocks have a decal? And if so, about where was it located?

Thanks

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    How confident are you that the suspension has never been touched in the past? For example, do the coils still have the color-codes on them?

Unless the suspension is untouched, matching to what is there may not be what you want.

That said, I agree that "before" photos of old Koni shocks often look a little more "reddish" than the "after" photos.

I've been looking for concrete evidence that my car (1972) should have wings, and not triangles, for over 2 years now, and not had any luck, so Ill be watching this thread with interest... :)

4. murphyrg1

murphyrg1 Karting

Oct 10, 2012
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Full Name:
    Rory Murphy
    There's no guarantee that our suspension hasn't been messed with, but the scruffy springs still have traces of the white/blue and white/yellow ID marks on them. You would think that your '72 would have the wing decal given that decal suppliers like Kilimanjaro claim that the switch to the triangle was '74, but I certainly don't know anything beyond that.

5. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Hi Rory,

Yes, I'm aware of the Kilimanjaro claim, but like you, don't seem to have any additional evidence to back that up.

I've been trying hard to find even *one* picture of a late car that seemed likely to be original with the wings, but have had no luck.

Nice that you still have the color marks on the springs. My car might have them under a general black overspray that someone did to the suspension, but I have not yet tried to pull the coils to see what I might be able to uncover.

Cheers,
    Alex

6. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    BTW, Rory,

Are the marks on the springs "white on one coil, and other color on another coil" (see pic that I posted in the other thread about daytona shocks), or are then "wide white on one coil, with a strip of other color on the same coil" (see video posted in the fastener finishes thread)?

Been wondering for a while whether the two types of markings are somehow tied to vintage...

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. murphyrg1

murphyrg1 Karting

Oct 10, 2012
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Full Name:
    Rory Murphy
    Alex,
    I've seen paint marks adjacent to each other on the same coil on later cars, but both our front and rears had them on different coils.
    Rory
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. colombo2cam

colombo2cam Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ted
  10. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Ted,

You are my hero...:)

Anything "73" would be well past my car, so wings it is.

Once again, these "befores" do look a little more reddish than the modern Koni color that one normally sees...

Thanks!

11. murphyrg1

murphyrg1 Karting

Oct 10, 2012
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Full Name:
    Rory Murphy
    Thanks, Ted. I just used your photo to verify that the color used by the rebuilder is too orange. I will have him return the shocks unpainted and try to find a better color match to use. Doing a quick search online indicates that Koni shock color from the '60's is of some interest in the Shelby community; maybe someone there has figured this out.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    You know, I've been looking a some of the "Koni Classic" shocks, and it sure looks to me like Koni has a sanctioned paint formula that is pretty close to the right "reddish" color:

https://www.koni-na.com/en-US/NorthAmerica/Products/Cars/List/?t=KoniPartSearch&q=1972&m=282&mk=15&mt=1

As Performance Shock is a Koni-sanctioned rebuilder, I would think they could get access to that paint; and indeed, I plan to ask them... :)