Daytona oil | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Daytona oil

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by bighitter2, Oct 17, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Timo: My pleasure.

TTR likes this.
  2. bighitter2

bighitter2 Formula Junior

May 7, 2005
    virginia usa
    Full Name:
    chuck coli
    Timo, thanks for the tip about quantity of oil to buy, however my car does not have a drain plug in the pan…have you ever seen that before? Chuck

3. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    I haven't seen that, but there appear to be couple of different design/part numbers for the pan, so perhaps earlier ones don't have a drain plug ?
    OTOH, to drain the engine sump, maybe you could just unbolt the entire pan, clean sump screens, etc while it's off and re-install the pan with new gasket. Easy peasy.

4. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    According to parts manual references, looks like some "early" production (Daytona) sump pans might've been made without drain plug.

5. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    If your sump has no drain plug. as long as you drain the tank as quickly as you can after you shut off the engine, you will be fine. Most of the dry sump Ferrari comp cars have no sump drain plugs. We get the oil hot, shut off engine, loosen the tank plug (removing the safety wire, etc.), refire engine to evacuate the engine sump, shut off, and immediately drain the tank.

TTR likes this.
  6. bighitter2

bighitter2 Formula Junior

May 7, 2005
    virginia usa
    Full Name:
    chuck coli
    Thank you DWR46 a good idea, i’ll try it..Chuck

7. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    You don’t initially drain the (hot) oil already in the tank before refiring to prevent any it getting sucked back to sump during (the brief ?) “evacuation” process ?
    Just curious.

8. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Timo: I did not say that. I said "loosen" (not remove) the tank plug. I cannot count all the times I have fought a too tight drain plug and all the while the oil in the engine is setting there getting cooler waiting to drain out. We always make sure the drain plug is quickly removable before we refire the engine to get as much oil into the tank as possible before draining it.

9. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    My apologies Dyke, I didn’t mean to suggest you having said or stated something.
    I was merely asking a question, but failed to make it clear and it wasn’t that important anyway.