Daytona rear shelf removal | FerrariChat

Daytona rear shelf removal

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by thecarnut, Nov 7, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    A prior owner installed a couple of speakers on the rear shelf of a 1971 Daytona. I removed the speakers and now want to recover that area with new vinyl.

How is the rear shelf removed? There is a trim piece (just above the straps) in the front that appears to be holding it. Suggestions from people that have done this would be appreciated.

Ivan

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
  3. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    :rolleyes:

Yes, that "trim piece" needs to be removed. It is held in place with nuts on 3 studs (welded to "trim piece"), 1 (center) accessible through trunk and 1 on each side accessible through rear wheel openings, near the upper mounting of rear shocks. I've seen some cars with wood screws going upward to plywood board (i.e. "rear shelf") from the trunk, but not sure if original and/or something to do with production timeline.

readplays likes this.
  4. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Thanks Timo ! It's the old "let's put a a couple of small nuts in the rear wheel openings so that some poor sole has to figure out where they are hidden, and then figure out how to remove them without breaking the studs" :)
    Luckily the studs were not rusty and the nuts came out easily.

Now that the rear shelf is out ... is there a source in the USA for this black vinyl? Also, there are a couple of plastic chrome plated vent rings that I should replace while I'm working in this area. Is someone making reproductions, perhaps in polished aluminum?

Ivan

Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    I don't know any U.S. suppliers, but HvL in Holland has it.
    I'm in the middle of finishing an interior in one and might have enough extra for the shelf and piping, but not much more. I'll PM you if I can help.

It might be smart to fabricate & replace the plywood board also while you're at it.

I've reproduced these trim rings, but have to check if I have any in-stock. If not, it might take few weeks to have more available.
    PM me if interested.

6. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    I am interested, PM sent

Ivan

7. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    I should've been more clear with my earlier reply.
    HvL supplied vinyl will be very close, if not exactly correct replacement for OEM, but if the interior has been re-trimmed with some other type (black) vinyl sometime in past 45+ year, it may not have matching appearance (i.e. color/sheen, grain/texture, etc).
    And another thing to keep in mind is that if all the other panels still feature OEM trimming, the new replacement vinyl, even if from HvL, may look unmatched due to aging of OEM vinyl.