Daytona Rebuild | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Daytona Rebuild

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by TimRoper, May 1, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TimRoper

TimRoper Karting

May 24, 2005
    Taunton England
    Full Name:
    Tim Roper
    #51 TimRoper, May 17, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hallelujah, the first good metal goes ON the car. The rebuilding starts, note the lovely shiney metal on the chassis outriggers.

Thanks for the various wishes of goodwill posted on this thread guys.

p.s photo of our lawnmowers attached, 13 lambs from 6 ewes !

Tim
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. toto70_0

toto70_0 F1 Rookie

Sep 14, 2004
    NETHERLANDS
    Bring the car to the Netherlands we have a metalworker who makes a perfect job at a reasonable price.

WWW.CARROZZERIA.NL

3. severtecher

severtecher Karting

May 1, 2004
    Tucson AZ USA
    Full Name:
    Kevin Fox
    Tim, I feel I have got to add to the list of your admirers. The Daytona has been my favorite vehicle since the late '60s. As a kid it was , still is, my dream car. As an "older" gent I appreciate the hard work, worry, and lots of hard currency involved in such a project. As others have intimated, the true beneficiaries are those who come after us and have examples of Enzo Ferraris vision of the automobile to admire. Like Enzo himself, your tenacity benifits the current , as well as the "baby" tifosi. I hope i can do that some day. Looking forward to more pics and progress. Sincerely , Kevin Fox
    *** just a thought- I live in southern Arizona in the USA and we have no rust here, just in case you need a storage facility, my living room is at your disposal.

4. TimRoper

TimRoper Karting

May 24, 2005
    Taunton England
    Full Name:
    Tim Roper
    Kevin

Thank you for your kind words. It has done nothing but rain here in the U.K for the past two weeks and this is supposed to be early summer. It must be great living in a warm sunny state like Arizona, we only dream of weather like that here in miserable, cold, old, England.

Still, I've got the Daytona to take my mind off it !

Kind Regards

Tim

5. severtecher

severtecher Karting

May 1, 2004
    Tucson AZ USA
    Full Name:
    Kevin Fox
    I am waiting to hear from my son who just arrived in London,( Hounslow )yesterday. He is 21 and is on a "walkabout" I guess you could call it through Europe for 3 months. He will appreciate the H2O for a change. We have had basically no rain, just .7", since last September. He has several quart bottles and has instructions to fill them before he returns.

6. fiorano94

fiorano94 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2006
    MW/NW/SE
    awesome car i have been lucky enough to have seen several daytonas and all are amazing godd luck!!

7. TimRoper

TimRoper Karting

May 24, 2005
    Taunton England
    Full Name:
    Tim Roper
    godd luck is probably not far off the mark !

Tim

8. djaffrey

djaffrey Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    DJ
    We have a hosepipe ban in the UK and an offical drought status for teh foirst time in 10 years. God knows why it still rians every day.

Darren.

9. TimRoper

TimRoper Karting

May 24, 2005
    Taunton England
    Full Name:
    Tim Roper
    #59 TimRoper, Jun 22, 2006
    We found evidence of a bump to the front end of the car that was not initially apparent, so have jigged it up and let in a suitable repair ( see photo). Finally repairs to the chassis are now complete and we have shot blasted and Zinc sprayed her, the new front end is in the workshop so we can finally get down to re skinning.

Mike 'the torch' Osgood tells me that the chrome bar addition to the front of the car was a nudge bar that he designed and fabricated for some Daytonas when they were originaly imported into the u.k. This followed discussions with an Ivan Bishop who was at that time Technical director of Maranello Concessionaires and was due to concerns about the vuneralability of the Daytonas long nose whilst parking etc.

Mike also told me that he was resonsible for (under protest) converting a number of plexi nosed cars to pop-up with an assembly supplied by Ferrari along with two photos that he still has.

I will post more pics when the rebodying starts and progresses.

10. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

tim,

this is getting good! albeit costly, it is great to have such great daytona people working on your car...it will be breath-taking!!

have fun with it...i know i am.

best,

pcb

11. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    Keep it coming .

12. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    This whole thing might end up costing a few bucks..............

13. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    Terry, the goop is dinatol on the underside and waxoyl in all the inner cavities. I did the application. Messy.

14. TimRoper

TimRoper Karting

May 24, 2005
    Taunton England
    Full Name:
    Tim Roper
    #64 TimRoper, Jul 14, 2006
    O.K things are starting to rock and roll. We have sourced the complete new scaglietti front end which is on the car along with sills ang engine compartment bulkheads. Have included a photo that shows the fantastic workmanship of the seam welds on this assembly, all gas welding apparently. The bonnet and lights are being trial fitted to set the all important shut gaps. The chassis is now finished and has been shot blasted and had the zinc spray treatment, smashing it looks as well. the jig that is being used to allign the car is also a thing of great wonder. Next I believe is the reskinning of the doors, will keep you all posted. Thanks for all the posts of support.

Tim

15. TimRoper

TimRoper Karting

May 24, 2005
    Taunton England
    Full Name:
    Tim Roper
  16. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Cool!

Thank you for the updates!

Regards,

Art S.

17. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    The engineering simplicity of much of these cars is truely a thing of beauty. Thanks for posting the ongoing pics... keep them coming!

Terry

18. neilmac

neilmac Formula 3

Apr 18, 2005
    Oakville, Ont.
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Nice job, and thank you for keeping us up-to-date. This is fascinating to watch.

Off-topic, but I've just noticed something in the pics. The yellow Dino seems to have an unblocked window aft of the doors, while the silver Dino has the three little openings. What's the difference?

Thanks,

Neil

19. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    Neil the Yellow car is a 246 GT and the Silver car a 246 GTS......the silver car's roof panel lifts out

20. EricB

EricB Rookie

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Indeed thank you for sharing the pics and the latest details.
    Gorgeous to watch.

-e

21. pauls

pauls Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2004
    The old craftsmanship as well as the new is fascinating to see and take form. Thanks for the detailed pictures. Looking great!!

22. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    The silver 246 gts looks good,what is the colour called,any idea of what trim colour to be.

23. f40carlo

f40carlo Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2005
    CANADA
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    My 1972 Daytona has a couple non- oriignal parts. MSD ignition, (OK With that), but more importantly it has a roll bar, and Simpson belts.

I need help.

SEATBELTS- 2 things. Photo of how seat belts anchor & where. and #2 OEM or NOS or used seatbelts, anchors, bolts, anythign and everything to re-install originals.

DOORLOCKS- I have never had any keys. How can I get them? Or is there a set available of new locks (used, etc.) with keys???

Please help me out any way you can..forum, PM's ...anything!!!

Thanks in advance, everyone!

Carlo

24. Turner

Turner Karting

Sep 6, 2004
    EC
    Full Name:
    Turner
    wait... so your car does not have door locks? none at all? who would completely remove their doorlocks? i am curious because i have never heard of this on any daytona before.