Daytona Rebuild | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Daytona Rebuild

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by TimRoper, May 1, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    There are places here in the USA that once the car is stripped to the bare shell (unibody), the entire vehicle can be treated multiple tanks, washes, ovens like new cars down the assembly line. Usually goes, cleaning->etch->E-coat->bake.
    Some big dollar muscle car rebuild/restorations take that path.

2. TimRoper

TimRoper Karting

May 24, 2005
    Taunton England
    Full Name:
    Tim Roper
    Don't think I want to know how many man hours went into it, time equals money!

Bob Houghton has put the bodywork out to a body shop he uses and it is being done by a chap who used to be the bodyshop manager at Ferrari uk (Maranello). He is kinda semi retired and works in his own body shop. I get the impression that he only takes on individual jobs, one at a time, and only if he likes the car! He is currently only working on mine and when in the past I have asked for an estimate when it would be ready he tells me that while the car is in his shop and he is working on it it is ''his car'' and pretty much to bugger off until he decides it is finished!

3. TimRoper

TimRoper Karting

May 24, 2005
    Taunton England
    Full Name:
    Tim Roper
    I suppose on reflection that the time to have dipped the car would have been when we had it stripped down to the chassis, even then we would have had to bung up all the open threaded and bushed orifices. The problem would have been that the car has been bolted to a jig as you can see in the photos, from when it was complete before it was stripped down, all the way through the restoration. To have taken it off the jig before it has the 'skin' or body re attached is going to have let it flex out of alignment.

Going to have to research de odourised fish oil!

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Awesome!

I'm sure your paint guy will do this but I mistrust all that primer, having a finish coat of paint flake off, weeks after application on a new door......

Truly amazing thread........carry on!

5. Randy Forbes

Randy Forbes Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2006
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Sports Cars Plus,LLC
    That thin coat of black paint is purely for protection while in storage and transit, I'm sure his bodyman is aware of that. It's true though, I doubt the panel was even wiped clean of (the hydraulic) press oil before applying it.

6. TimRoper

TimRoper Karting

May 24, 2005
    Taunton England
    Full Name:
    Tim Roper
    The black is only temporary protection as is the old rosso paint left on parts of the car. After the body has been fixed, it will be leaded. When the body goes off to the spray shop it will be totally stripped of any paint on the outside, back down to the bare metal before painting.

Still havn't quite made my mind up what colour to go for, but time is running out to make decision.

7. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    What was original??

8. TimRoper

TimRoper Karting

May 24, 2005
    Taunton England
    Full Name:
    Tim Roper
    I am going up to the body shop next week and that will probably be the last time I see the car before it goes off for paining.

If any one has a burning need to see any normally hidden part of a daytona as it is currently all exposed, please let me know exactly which bit you are interested in and I will have a go at photographing it for you and posting it here.

Tim

9. TimRoper

TimRoper Karting

May 24, 2005
    Taunton England
    Full Name:
    Tim Roper
    #135 TimRoper, Dec 1, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. Randy Forbes

Randy Forbes Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2006
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Sports Cars Plus,LLC
    There there, you've just proved that beauty can only be skin deep, but that it doesn't necessarily have to remain that way.

This has been a very educational thread for all that follow it. Thanks for sharing.

11. TimRoper

TimRoper Karting

May 24, 2005
    Taunton England
    Full Name:
    Tim Roper
    #137 TimRoper, Dec 6, 2006
  12. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    Great photos. I am much enjoying this thread

13. TimRoper

TimRoper Karting

May 24, 2005
    Taunton England
    Full Name:
    Tim Roper
    Mr moderator

Can't post any more pictures because my attachments folder is full. How do I empty it?

Tim

14. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    You can only post 5MB without subscribing....sounds like you've hit that wall..

Somebody take up a collection, so we can see the end!!!

15. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    ..once they are posted they cannot be 'emptied"........you can only edit a post for 30 minutes after posting......sorry!

16. pauls

pauls Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2004
    Tim, please send susequent pictures to me at [email protected] and I will be happy to continue to post them on the Daytona Registry. Paul

17. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Tim,

You'll have to pay the moderator a nominal fee $15 US (probobly around £8) to become silver subscribed in order to keep posting. It's worth it.

Regards,

Art S.

PS. I remember when you first started poking around at your car. If I recall, I suggested you were opening pandora's box. I think my comment was an understatement - WOW very impressive and thorough job!

18. TimRoper

TimRoper Karting

May 24, 2005
    Taunton England
    Full Name:
    Tim Roper
    #149 TimRoper, Dec 15, 2006
  19. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Tim,

Alternately, email the pictures to someone who is subscribed to post them for you.

Regards,

Art S.