daytona seats in a 2011 Ferrari 458 - thoughts | FerrariChat

daytona seats in a 2011 Ferrari 458 - thoughts

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by RobertM, May 14, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RobertM

RobertM Formula 3

Apr 17, 2005
    Weston, Florida
    Full Name:
    Robert M
    I am looking at a 2011 Ferrari 458 with Daytona seats. I am curious from those that have them in their cars....

thoughts please ...

1. are they comfortable and
    2. how are they on a race track vs. racing seats ???
    3. do the sides inflate ???

2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    1) honestly they are slightly less comfortable only because of the indented "slats". But most don't mind. I liked them as they do look very nice.

2) race seats are completely different. No power movement at all, thinner padding, lighter weight, a little tighter to sit in. IMO, the racing seats are remarkably comfortable but they are little narrower. I don't think tracking would make any difference at all with either. People track both.

3) NO! And no fans in the seats or other such gimmicks. You can find them with "full power seats" which are very rare. I believe these have lumbar adjustment but very difficult to find as most wouldn't pay for the extra $3 grand or so for it.

A Daytona seat is just the regular seat (powered or unpowered) with the added design element of the slats. You order it exactly the same and add the power features you want or don't want.

Racing seats have been one style only but now I believe the 488 allows you to order a racing seat in Daytona trim.

3. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I have the Daytona seats and love them. I also had them in my 430 spider. My buddy has the standard seats and I thought they were very uncomfortable. I've not had the racing seats. I also like the fact that my seats are electric. I was only interested in the daytona seats ( electric ) when I was hunting for my 458 spider. Fwiw I'm 5'10 190 lbs. Good luck bro and post pics.

4. F. Yu

F. Yu Rookie

Jun 17, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    I've sat in all three types of seats, back-to-back. I think in terms of comfort, I rate them Daytona > racing > standard. The main problem for me with the standard seats is they seems to pinch my hips, even though I am a thin person. It must be the way the bolsters are shaped. None of the seats "inflate".

The Daytona seats are better padded than the racing, but I suppose for tracking maybe the racing seats would be better in terms of road feel. Also, the racing seats are much lower than the Daytona because they are thinner and sit lower as there isn't any electronics below them. If you are tall and need the room for a helmet, the racing seats are the way to go if you plan on a lot of tracking.

5. Gated

Gated Formula 3

Dec 21, 2009
    Interesting as the Daytonas are the standard seats with a different pattern / centre insert.

6. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    The full power seats have inflatable lumbar and side bolster supports. You can tell them apart from lesser power seats by looking at the adjustment panel on the side of the seat bottom. It will have more adjustments and 3 buttons for the seat memory. Even if you are ordinarily the only driver, the memory function is useful to restore your ideal settings if driven by service personnel. The Daytona inserts can be ordered with any of the power seats.

7. 2006m5

2006m5 Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2008
    huntingdon valley PA
    I'm looking to get a 458 ..but when I drive a car with Daytona seats I have to lean the seat
    Back because my head is almost within the ceiling.
    So I need to get racing seats...which feel comfy plus I have more headroom.
    Don't have to lean the seat back.

8. Hamishmoon

Hamishmoon Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2014
    Blairgowrie,Scotland
    Full Name:
    Hamish
    Had the Daytona's in my 458 and the Racing seats in my F12 both myself and my wife find the racing seats more comfortable both of us are in our 50's my wife is small to medium build and im large and fit better in the racing seats. 😀😀😀

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. Randyslovis

Randyslovis Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    I had the full power daytona trim seats in my 2010 Italia and have the race seats in my '13 spider.
    The standard seat - which is EXACTLY the same seat as the the daytona/diamond stitch is great for ease of entry/exit vs the higher bolster of the race seat. BUT, the seat is mounted higher than the race seat so even at 5'7" 140lbs. I found the seat too high. Guys taller than me have even more complaints about head clearance and leg room. Never mind the actual driving position. More importantly is that even with the fully inflatable bolsters, I never had the lateral support I thought should have been there. The inflatable bladders seemed to be pushing into my lateral back areas, not enveloping me as a side bolster should. A larger person would probably find it even less helpful as they are farther to the side in the seat.
    The race seat is be far my favorite. Even though I could have easily ordered the better fitting size medium seat for my frame, I get fantastic support in the large race seat. I have no issue getting in or out by placing my hand on the sill and rising up out of, or lowering myself into the seat. I do this maneuver in regular or race seat and did so in 360 and 430s to protect the side bolster from premature wear. The lack of adjustability of the race seat height is its biggest drawback. Some later cars had a further 2K option of a manual height adjuster.
    Lastly, when I drove a 488 w/standard seat, it was obvious that it goes much lower than the 458 seat. Ferrari may have finally realized this issue as well.
    Most importantly, this is a very personal choice. Everyone's physical proportions/likes/dislikes seem to play a major role in which seat is best for them. I am only sharing how I sit in each seat.
    Best

10. 2006m5

2006m5 Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2008
    huntingdon valley PA
    Very good input.

11. RobertM

RobertM Formula 3

Apr 17, 2005
    Weston, Florida
    Full Name:
    Robert M
    Thank you all for your comments .....

12. stretchgeneral

stretchgeneral Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 9, 2014
    MA/TX
    Full Name:
    McK
    I have daytona seats and have no complaints. I am 6'-1" and have no head room problems.

13. Matt_337

Matt_337 Karting

Dec 24, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I have Daytona seats. And at the race track, they blow. I'm fighting to stay in the seat. And I'll echo what others have said. With my helmet, I'm touching the ceiling. And I'm only 5'9" (long torso)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. RossoNero

RossoNero Karting

Sep 7, 2012
    JHB, South Africa
    Full Name:
    Henry
    I'm 6"2 and I CANNOT fit into a 458 with standard seats when wearing a helmet. Thank god I bought a Spider, hence the roof always came off on track days. In an Italia, I would have been stumped!

15. DavidJames1

DavidJames1 Formula 3

Mar 6, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Randy agree with your take. Love the race seats and wouldn't have anything else. Don't fully understand the need for adjustment but then I'm the one that mostly/only drives my F cars. Maybe with multiple drivers the standard/Daytona seats would be a consideration although not as comfortable.