Daytona Tan Interior and Dye | FerrariChat

Daytona Tan Interior and Dye

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Tspringer, May 5, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    My Daytona originally came with tan/black interior. I recently had the seats re-done using some NOS seat covers that came with the car. Because they had been stored poorly for 30+ years, they needed to be re-dyed.

The guy who did the dye job also did the door panels and center console just so they would match perfectly. The door panels and console came out looking great, but he did a terrible job on the seats. He clearly did not prep the seats properly, specifically he did not remove all of the old original dye before applying the new dye. Result: the dye is peeling up all over the seats.

So, I am going to re-dye the seats again myself using the full leatherique treatment. I have some experience with this system and product. If done correctly, the results are permanent and fantastic..... truely like brand new. It is however a very time consuming process requiring several steps and the removing of all prior dye so you are working with the base leather.

Given that the original color on my car was tan/black and currently its all black.... Im thinking that if I am going to go to the trouble of doing the entire leatherique re-dye process perhaps I should go back to the original colors. This would of coarse mean doing a complete re-dye on the door panels and center console as well.... which is a ton of work.

Couple of questions though. Does anyone have some really good interior shots of a Daytona with tan/black interior. I "think" the rear cockpit panels remain solid black as does the carpet? I would expect to only need to dye the seats, center console and door panels. My headliner is perfect and the original item so its already tan.

NExt..... what color tan should I use? Anyone have a color code or other good means of deciding on the correct tan to use? Leatherique can custom match or mix any color I need, but I want it to be correct.

Thanks!

Terry

2. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Terry,
    Go w/ what you like best.

3. jhjvdm

jhjvdm Formula Junior

May 28, 2003
    Tspringer,

Find attached a couple of interior pictures of Daytona's with tan/black

interiors. As you can see the floor's colours can differ.

Hope they might be of any help.

Regards,

Joop van der Meer

4. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    Terry, mine is tan/black and I will take photos if you need any.My carpets and back area are black but I think anything goes. Fuscia was popular....

5. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Post away malcomb.... the more pics the merrier!

I really want it to be tan/black. Thats what was original to the car and I like the look of tan better anyhow. Only downside is it will be TONS more work! Oh well.... my 911S hotrod project is almost done, I'll probably tackle the dye job when its complete. I figure it will take a week each for the seats, a week for the console and a week for both door panels.

The leatherique guys are pretty adamant about strictly adhering to their process. Here is a simplification: First you use laquer thinner on paper towels to remove as much of the dye as possible. This step apparently takes tons of wiping and gets pretty nasty. Then you use their "pristine clean" solution in conjuction with 400 or 600 grit sandpaper to remove any remaining original dye. You want base leather.... but you have to take care not to suede the leather. Then you treat the leather for several days with their conditioning oil. When thats done and the leather has the supple texture of new, you use the cleaner again and afterward let the leather sit in the sunshine for a full day to let it fully evaporate off. Now..... your ready to apply the dye. Mist on light coats, and use as many coats as it takes for full coverage.

I have seen the results others have gotten with their products and process, but its definitely TONS of work!

Im going to talk to the guys at FOA and see if they have a color code for "tan" leather in 1969.....

Terry

6. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    The top photo is a very nice combo. The tan seats are set off nicely by the red/brown carpet. Don't really car for the tan w/ brown carpet(especially don't care for the tan carpet edging-too busy).

7. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Would like to see many more pics of the blue/tan Saytona. Is the # in the lower right hand corner of the pics the sn of the car?

8. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    I agree, more pictures of the blue/tan Daytona please! Is that car built May 1973 production? It is a USA market Ferrari. The Daytona built ahead of it was a Spyder... Thanks.
    CH

9. jhjvdm

jhjvdm Formula Junior

May 28, 2003
    Some more pictures of Daytona 16989

Enjoy!

Joop van der Meer

10. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    What is the official Ferrari color name and code for that blue?
    Is there such a color as "celeste"(sp?) blue?

11. jhjvdm

jhjvdm Formula Junior

May 28, 2003
    From my information it is Blue NART Metallic

Joop van der Meer

12. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Thanks for more pictures of 16989 the color is stunning. Very nice contrast with the light color interior. One of the late Daytona Spyder models has a much darker so called tan interior. There seems to be a range of shades in this "tan" color.
    CH