Daytonas crash | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Daytonas crash

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Zarathustra, Jan 21, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    Gary, you are correct, over 130 the XWX's are squirmy and need more pressure. I like the way the car drives on them better than modern tires although of course the modern rubber could be more sticky and smoother.. Daytonas are not happy on low profile tires, they need a bit of rounded corners to work well. Of course the racers are a different story I suppose. These tires were fitted last year and have a recent build date.
    Malcolm

2. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

i am grinning from ear to ear!!!

3. Vintage V12

Vintage V12 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2004
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230319858325&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&viewitem=

4. billnoon

billnoon Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 22, 2003
    La Jolla, California
    Full Name:
    Bill Noon
    #54 billnoon, Jan 29, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
    There are few hard and fast rules and I can only sight specific purchases and sales that I am involved with or completed myself as well as those by close friends, clients and other dealers that I do business with and speak with on a regular basis.

I am aware of slow or no movement of any Ferrari 275 GTB/4s above the $1M mark and there are at least four being offered for sale at this level.

In the past fourteen days however one of our old and still in nice condition GTB/4s sold at a little over $900K. I would call that the current maximum value in most cases. At least it is a gauge on a real car that actually sold rather than owners offering cars and potential buyers simply stating mythically what they might be willing to pay.

I have to laugh when my clients tell me when Lussos are $250K, let me know and I will buy. The same for 2 and 4 cams at silly low prices.

Prices are always going to be a combination set of what an owner wants and a buyer is willing to pay. If they do not compromise and meet at one number, then no sale has taken place and the market is not set.

The last GTC that I sold was $235K a few months back. I thought the car well bought at the time but think today it would probably be less as there are too many so so cars being offered for less and few of those meeting the buyer demand.

There are quite a few Daytonas being offered for $325K to $395K. We however have sold most of them recently for $275K. I would say that is a more market correct number at the moment and one that has several recent sales examples to support it.

A slew of nice to very nice Lussos traded at $500K to $550K. At least two went off for more. They seem to be all over the place and I can only tell you that I have a very nice one for sale and at the moment a buyer and I have yet to meet at an agreed price.

In my opinion, the owner of the 275GTB on ebay should have said yes to the $700K bid. It was a nice car and it was a fair offer. On the other hand, I am involved in the sale of a very rare alloy 2-cam, long-nose, GTB/6C and the selling price is going to be well over $1M. Again this is not typical of the market but quite outside the normal range and reflects and individual vehicle.

I believe the constant news and information stream about the world markets, currencies, economics etc... have all greatly effected trading prices of these machines but not the interest in them.

I will state that more than half of my own recent sales were as a direct result of the economics that have come into play over the last year. The new buyers seemed to have a common theme. They had the cash, it was liquid, they did not believe its value would remain the same over the next 6 to 18 months and rather than see its buying power diminish, they thought an interesting machine would be a nice purchase. They also seemed very concerned about rampant inflation that would follow what is currently occurring.

These are smart people. Far smarter than me. But that does not mean they are right, only that they believe what they are doing is right.

One last little tid-bit on value based items. We are located in La Jolla, California. It is a very desirable place to be with homes commanding staggering prices that make even the most expensive Ferraris seem cheap. There is a constant stream of buyers for some of the choice waterfront homes. They are finding nothing to buy. On paper the prices of the homes may have come down, but these are the lesser desirable "just off the water" units. The really good pieces of property have completely bucked the system and actually gone up in value.

Thats a hard thing to explain to the guy who bought a condo 10 miles south in downtown San Diego for $750,000 two years ago and today it is only worth $400K!

Enough preaching. The best advise I can give any owner, seller or buyer is be smart, act wisely and independently. There are going to be some very good deals in the months to come but the pendulum will likely swing the other way and with little warning.

The following might sound familiar to a few but not all readers here:

"I remember when Daytona's were $25,000!" 1979

"I remember when Daytona's were $350,000!" 1989

"I remember when Daytona's were $125,000!" 1999

"I remember when Daytona's were $250,000!" 2009

Question: Bill, what is my Daytona going to be worth in 2019?

Answer: Asking me (or my son) in 2020!

Cheers,

Bill

5. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    Whew - strong money for a 2-cam these days - $750K .

6. Zarathustra

Zarathustra Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 7, 2006
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gary Robinson
    Reverend Noon,
    That was most enlightening. Amen!

I find Daytonas particularly interesting to evaluate they have been through ALL the speculator and business cycles.
    I remember when... I was standing over a new Daytona spyder in Chinetti's showroom, grumbling that he wanted $32K.
    It makes me sick.

7. elads

elads Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2004
    israel
    Full Name:
    elad
    hi,
    Can someone please help me, What was the total number of Daytona production (not including comp and other specials)?

rgds
    elad

8. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    circa 1400 units?

9. naparsei

naparsei Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2005
    Land of Enchantment
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Is the "realized" market price on a decent 330GTC really $150K? I would definitely be interested in buying a good example for that price. The most difficult part of playing this market is the delta between "asked" and the final price on cars that get sold. I see most 330GTCs currently FS listed at prices around $215,000 to $275,000 - are the ones getting sold going for $150K?

10. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    www.daytonaregistry.com is a useful source for all things Daytona.

"Ferrari had completed 1284 GTB/4's, 179 of which were right-hand drive. A total of just 121(as well as one prototype Spyder making it a total of 122) Daytona Spyders were manufactured by comparison. Of the 122 Spyders only seven were right hand drive."

11. elads

elads Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2004
    israel
    Full Name:
    elad
    OK thanks.

So im a bit lazy, and I just looked at only two websites on the web, Anamera and ClassicDriver.
    The combined Ferrari Daytona offering is about 50 cars. Considering the large overlap between the listers on the two sites, im haircutting the number to 30 (again im lazy, so I wont go car by car). Adding to the 30 number about twice the number for cars advertised for sale outside these two fine websites, I get 60. Again not scientific but reasonable math - I think.

So, we have about 60 Daytona offered for sale in late January 2009, after the world has entered the worst downturn in 70 years.
    Said differently, we have about 4% to 5% of TOTAL production on offer at this time. Wow.

Doesn’t take a really smart person, to figure out what comes next.

elad

12. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    Ian,
    Thanks for that. Am I reading correctly then that it is 1284 Berlinettas plus 122 Spyders=1406 total units?
    Best,
    Dave

13. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    Your maths are correct, although Gerald Roush (Ferrari Market Letter) has published the definitive numbers but I'm away from my bookshelf at the moment. 148 is the number in my mind for RHD production.

14. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    You can make a polemic argument to reach any conclusion you require. The reality is that Daytona TOTAL production is quite a different thing to say 360 TOTAL production and different again to 275 TOTAL production.

Speculation about market prices is ultimately pointless. If you love fast, classic V12 Ferrari Berlinettas, anytime is a good time to buy a Daytona.

15. Zarathustra

Silver Subscribed

May 7, 2006
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gary Robinson
    That's the question.
    In this market one can find a plethora of wishful Ferrari sellers. I've seen the same cars listed and relisted time and time again. No sale.
    What's interesting to watch on Ebay is the seller's starting bid and what the low-ballers will bid a car up to.
    My preferred source is the Ferrari Market Letter, which has the most interesting cars in the States.
    To me, in this death-defying buyers market, one can immediately discount the cars by about 10% from dealers and 15% from private sales. They may not like it, but there are so few opportunities in this market that everyone should think twice. I'm sure there will be a wide opinion on this issue.

The one thing that everyone agrees upon is that the economy (and Ferrari prices) are going to get a lot worse before they get better.

16. billnoon

billnoon Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 22, 2003
    La Jolla, California
    Full Name:
    Bill Noon
    Hi guys,

The black Stramman Daytona Spyder Conversion that Gary used to start this thread on January 21st was sold this morning to a new client.

We are down to one show Coupe and our single-owner-from-new Factory Spyder. Thats four sold Daytonas out of six in less than four weeks.

I am hoping the red "show" coupe meets the expectations of an interested buyer before the month closes out.

Warm regards,

Bill Noon

17. Zarathustra

Silver Subscribed

May 7, 2006
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gary Robinson
    Good job, Bill!
    It's the pragmatic dealers like you that can sell cars in both good and bad times.

18. billnoon

billnoon Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 22, 2003
    La Jolla, California
    Full Name:
    Bill Noon
    I have a sneaky suspicion that clients secretly like it when dealers loose money to sell them a car.

On the other hand as said before... even on the best days, you never make enough money on the first sale to make it worthwhile. It is the repeat client and favorable referrals that keep your kids in school and the doors open.

Cheers,

Bill

19. Vintage V12

Vintage V12 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2004
    #69 Vintage V12, Jan 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2009
    Why do people shop price and not quality? Do they have any idea how much money and time is involved to take a crap cheap car and make it enjoyable to drive? Good cars are expensive because someone has sunk tons of money and time into restoring it. Most cars for sale are crap and have been sitting around without being driven.In this market you will find people that have had cars for a long time that have not been properly maintained and now trying to cash in. People in the market need to look not only at the price, but WHO has worked on the car. There are only a handfull of people that know how to do proper repairs and restorations.Don't let a nice new paint job fool you. Do your homework first and learn about the whos who in the vintage Ferrari restoration world. I remember when I was new in the vintage Ferrari market. I could not understand why the same model cost 100K more from another dealer. They both looked the same, had the same engine, ect. I went for the cheaper car. After 2 plus years with my car in a restoration shop I now know why the other car cost more. As it turns out it would have been cheaper...... I learned, believe me. These cars are expensive to fix. LEARN AS MUCH AS YOU CAN FIRST!

20. billnoon

billnoon Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 22, 2003
    La Jolla, California
    Full Name:
    Bill Noon
    Well said VV12N!

All four of the Daytonas that were sold this month had multiple PPI and background checks. Some were a little over the top and a bit lengthy, but I can respect a buyer taking some very careful time to do his homework give the market and supply of cars.

The only car that seemed to be bought on the quick was the over-restored Ex-Skeets Dunn car at the Gooding Sale. I know that two of the bidders or potential bidders had pre-checked the car out but do not know if the actual buyer at the sale had done his homework.

On the other hand, all four were sold at a fraction of their cost, restoration and service expenses so in any case the new owners probably felt reasonably assured that they were buying well... or likely would have not done so.

Cheers,

Bill

21. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    From years of experience, I know one thing, when it comes to buying "old cars", the PPI is only 50% of the equation. A PPI will not tell the whole story about a car to the buyer. Beside a PPI, a buyer should always take the time to look at the car in person and also drive it. This will go a long way in a buyer realizing a positive result in their purchase. The buyers that only rely on pictures, description and a PPI by a third party often come away disappointed when the car arrives on their door step. Ones expectations often differ from another's. Some aspects of the prepurchase expectations are very subjective and buyers need to know this.

Gene

22. Zarathustra

Silver Subscribed

May 7, 2006
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gary Robinson
    I agree with all of the above.
    Of course quality is directly related to price. But you guys are the smart, experienced enthusiasts.
    Given the numerous inexperienced buyers out there, low pricing pressure is forced upon dealers to get their cars noticed and to get people in the door to look at them. List the car too high and only the experienced may investigate. List the car low and the ignorant masses take notice.
    The dealers delemma is market driven: bad market, few lookers, even fewer experienced lookers. How long do you want the car sitting in your show room? What if the market drops lower? Do you sit and watch you profit margin evaporate to the negative?
    In a deteriorating market I would expect dealers to want to move cars quickly. Sure, pricing individual cars with respect to their quality, but still pricing aggressively, competitively low to assure quick profit instead of loss.

In good times when vintage cars are appreciating, why not price them with every bit of their quality and let them sit on your show room floor?

If I were a dealer, I would rather take cars on consignment now than buy them outright.

23. billnoon

billnoon Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 22, 2003
    La Jolla, California
    Full Name:
    Bill Noon
    Consignments and brokering can be both good and bad.

We prefer to sell only what we own but remain flexible.

With a consignment, you may find yourself a slave to a previous owner's mistake and in the unfortunate position of having to pass that mistake onto someone else.

As a responsible owner / dealer, you may have the same issue but at least by allowing full unrestricted inspections and testing etc... you and buyer are eventually equalized by a common price. If you do not, then a car will remain unsold.

As mentioned above, price might be a starting point but in the end comfort and a sale is only achieved by aggressive testing, evaluation and independent inspection. This of course being followed by both buyer and seller meeting at an agreed price.

Miss anyone of the steps above and no sale will ever occur.

Now more than ever it is not only good business but the only way to stay in business.

Cheers,

Bill

24. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Agree totally.

25. premieram

premieram Karting

Jun 10, 2004
    All over the place
    Full Name:
    Joseph T. Seminetta
    I purchased a Daytona from Bill at Symbolic, and they accurately detailed its needs (which have all been taken care of) prior to purchase and PPI. I am very happy with the car and hope to enjoy it for a long time. Bill priced the car right and it moved in a reasonable time. Highly recommended.

Joe Seminetta