DB9 vs 612---------------------- | FerrariChat

DB9 vs 612----------------------

Discussion in '612/599' started by tonyh, Mar 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
  2. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Great article. Thanks for posting Tony!

3. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I sat in both at the Detroit car show, but they wouldn't let me test em. Said something about insurance or whatever. My seat of the pants impression (sorry) was that the 612 is the better car, but it is not $100k better than the DB9. That said, the 612 has more rear seat room if this is important. And, of course, the real key is how they drive, which will have to wait.

DrTax

4. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    I posted this in the UK section first but I'm also interested in how our US friends see it .....

"I'm a bit confused here....happens alot.....but I thought the DB9 was a replacement for the DB7 and so from price and performance would be in the same class as the 360M or the 996TT.

So a DB9/612 comparison seems a bit odd. Is it to replace the Vanquish? (the car more suited to a 575/612 comparison, depending how many seats you order)

I thought the vanquish was continuing and I've even heard of someone in Italy running a twin supercharged version of the Vanquish (Vanquish Vantage of the future?) with full factory support as a mule/test car.

The AMV8 on the other hand was placed more around Maserati GT and Porsche Carrera area of the market.

Correct me if I'm wrong, as it wouldn't be the first time

Cheers
    Simon"

5. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
  6. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Actually, the comparison is right on the mark, Simon, when you think about the way AM is positioning it's line-up:

The AMV8 is positioned to be the "baby" Aston, that's what the company is putting head-to-head with the 360 (although price points will differ quite a bit, as the AMV8 is expected to be priced around $75K, in line with Porsche, the last I heard);

The DB9 will replace the DB7 as you rightly note, and to this end, it will be AM's "mid tier" car. As such, it makes sense to compare it to Ferrari's "mid tier" car, the 612S. Again, the pricing differs somewhat between the two marques, with the DB9 less expensive, but AM will be gunning for the 612 from a positioning standpoint;

Finally, the Vanquish represents the AM's attempt on creating a 575M rival, and is priced accordingly too.

360M = AMV8
    612S = DB9
    575M = Vanquish

Two rivals. Three cars. Head to head. Bring it on!! :D

HTH.

7. Bill Sawyer

Bill Sawyer Formula 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Georgia
    As I stated on the other thread, I see the DB 9 as a viable competitor for the 575 or at least a used 550. Forget the back seats, they are a poorly disguised package shelf and I think AM gives the option of eliminating them all together. It's not a true 4-seater like the 612.

Most 550/575s aren't tracked anyway. The AM is less powerful than the 575, but it is much cheaper and it offers the buyer a V-12 powered drop top, something Ferrari foolishly does not have in it's line up.

Get a convertible and save 100K? Why not?

8. Cavallini

Cavallini Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Is it not interesting how everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, targets Ferrari? I've been following the Brit magazone coverage of the DB9 for a few months and it's absolutely hysterical how desperate they are for something that compares to Ferrari. This tabloid article is even funnier. Aston and Ferrari, the two most desired names in automotive history? Pardon me? Before the Vanquish, what Aston ever compared to a Porsche or a Lotus?

As for the DB9 itself, it seems to strike an interesting not between the 360 and the Bentley GT. In terms of speed and quickness, early reports are that it's in the range of the 996 and Maser GT, with a greater GT feel, presumably because of the 12-cyls. I don't see anything that points to 360 performance and charisma but it seems to have a distinct appeal of its own.

In fact, I don't think they're rivals at all. The DB9 isn't fast enough for a 360, let alone a 612. But there is something to be said if you don't want a 360 or a Gallardo or a P-Turbo. There's enough room in this market segment for this gorgeous specimen.

9. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Looks like Bill Ford is once again avenging Henry's failure to buy Ferrari by attempting to compete with Ferrari. Ford's first attempts were the GT40 & Cobras of course , Fords 2nd attempt was the Pantera which sort of fizzled out. I think Ford got it right, again, in its 3rd attempt at beating Ferrari.

I'd take a DB9 over a 612 any day of the week

Vanquish Vs 575, That would take some thought

Good job Ford & AM

10. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    of course I shouldnt forget the new Ford GT, Yum :)

11. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    That is the funniest thing I've read or heard all day! Hahaha!

No offense intended. The 612 like most GT Ferrari's, is made for 2 not 4. To dinner is one thing, but driven and used like a real car, no, its not a 4 seater unless you hang around lots of little people.

I agree with the rest of your comments though. Aston has the better value and arguably the better styling (for GT cars!).

Sunny

12. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    There's this little race called Le Mans, see? Its held in Europe, see? If you were anybody in the sports car world, you went to compete here, see?

If you choose 1 race to compete in, this was it. A win at Le Mans meant you secured a "place" in the top of the most desirable car list.

Aston competed very well in its day. In the end, though, Aston was an underfunded sports car company overcome by volume manufacturers with more economic muscle and expertise. Aston has lots of heritage, but when I see an Aston, I yell "Show me the money!" because the performance doesn't back the looks, the heritage, or the price tag.

They competed once before, will compete again, and everyone including Ferrari will get beat by a Ford.

Sunny

13. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Dont forget Audi, MB, & Porsche, They could give FORD a bad hair day :)

14. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    In my eyes, the AMV8 (an awesome car, btw) rivals the maserati directly, not the ferrari. The Vanquish clearly is the nemesis of the 612/575, and the DB9 doesn't really have a direct competitor, more something like the Bentley GT. All these cars are awesome! Is anyone here ever going to get one?