DC Area Road Salt Report? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

DC Area Road Salt Report?

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by lashss, Oct 29, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Smaug

Smaug Karting

May 9, 2011
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Thanks! I know the the brine stripes of which you speak. Happy to say I haven't seen any yet. Have you gotten any precipitation out your way? Nothing here yet - snow, rain, or otherwise.

2. Arjun

Arjun Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2006
    Northwest DC (DuPont, GW, Penn Quarter), I66, and Tysons were covered in a fresh coat of salt this evening.

Forget snow, it hasn't even rained here. WTF!

Cars are not coming out till spring now given the amount of crap on the roads.

3. KJM3SMG

KJM3SMG Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2006
    Loudoun County, VA
    Full Name:
    Karl - KJ
    yeah I'm grounded for a while until we get some good rain to clear the salt from roads... tired of winter already and we haven't really gotten any real snow

4. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Was driving on the DC beltway this afternoon from Greenbelt metro to I-95N to Baltimore. Wow they covered that loop in tons of salt. All the cars in front of us kept kicking it up and it got all over the front end and made quite a bit of noise on the windshield.

I don't think the snow will even hit DC.

5. blown daytona

blown daytona Formula 3

Feb 6, 2008
    maryland
    They are just plain f...ed up around here. Rains, close school early. Stops raining...put lots of salt on the road....AM roads were dry......Salt trucks both state and contract sitting on the side of the road on standby. Everyone gets more & more paranoid every year. The roads got a real good washing with the rain we had for four strait days. It is a shame, I was going to take one of the cars out this weekend, but I will have to wait for the next real good rain to wash it off.

6. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    Predictions for tomorrow? I say wet flakes and wet roads...then change to rain.

Lots of salt though...hopefully the rain at the end will take care of that.

LS

7. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    All will be washed away by Friday night and dry for Saturday Cars and Coffee at Katy's. :)
    Finally get to use the "new" AT Tires installed on the Jeep at the end of Snowmegedon.

8. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    Thurs-Fri rain would be ideal.

In downtown DC, we're seeing tiny flakes and a lot of rain mixed. Building management just dumped what looked like 50 lbs of salt outside my office window 15 minutes ago.

The rain has almost completely washed it away already.

LS

9. Zinger

Zinger Formula 3

Apr 11, 2009
    Leesburg, Va
    Full Name:
    Ryan M
    Dodged a bullet on this storm, they said 8-12" of snow expected in Leesburg, we got about 4" at my house and it is melting fast :). The temperature was too high, the snow had trouble sticking to the roads, we got maybe an inch or 2 on the roads.. I just came back from running some errands, roads are clear of snow now. Supposed to be mid 50's this weekend, spring is near!

10. VGM911

VGM911 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    The great thing about snowfalls in March is that they tend to melt fairly quickly. No worrying or fretting allowed! :)

11. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    They called for a foot of snow here and nothing actually stuck to the roads. Part of me would have liked to have seen a big snow storm, but most of me is ready for spring.

12. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    Baltimore beltway was treated chemically. We got enough rain to wash it off. I'll check in person tomorrow the eastern side of beltway to south and inside to city. Zero snow.

13. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    Was my forecast more accurate than the meteorologists? I don't even have windows at my office!

14. Pantera1889

Pantera1889 Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2006
    Maryland

I wish! There is snow/salt everywhere up here!!!
    It sucks!

Ron

15. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    90 percent clear of salt/chemical, but there are odd piles of salted areas on some side streets.

16. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    Southern MoCo in good shape, Beach drive has patches of salt from wet areas but downtown DC looks good.

Beltway and up north must be a different story.

LS

17. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    Ron, the road sign at the end of your neighborhood says it all..."Toronto 92 miles".

18. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    100 mile lunch run and no white on wheels or wheel wells. I'm deciding roads good for great weather weekend.

19. Arjun

Arjun Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2006
    There's still salt left over on the 66/495/GW and on local roads. Hope it rains soon.

20. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    Still quite a bit of salt out in the burbs...Silver Spring, Rockville, etc.

Not time to bring out the old hardware just yet.

LS

21. g4titan

g4titan Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 6, 2010
    Around
    Full Name:
    Nico
    I've been driving around! Oh well, otherwise it will never be a perfect day :)

22. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    Old cars staying in for a while longer...we will live through your experiences!!

Perfect day indeed...

GW Pkwy north of 123 looks like the Bonneville Salt Flats!!!

UGH

LS

23. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    YES!!!!

MORE RAIN!!!!!

PLEASE!!!!

Race fuel jugs are coming out so I can take a wiff...a simple tease of CAM2 as I watch the salt getting washed away.

Can you guys smell it???

LS

24. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    You wanted rain... We got floods. I just came across whites ferry, and I was shocked that the roads were opened.

There were several areas with 6" of moving water crossing the road.

25. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    Hopefully no damage from the flooding but it is good to hear!

Penn Quarter roads are pristine now...

Can't wait to hear what the burbs up north are like.

I am getting dizzy from smelling the CAM2 but I can still see the PC monitor...for now.

LS