DCT Fluid change | Page 2 | FerrariChat

DCT Fluid change

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by jk356, Mar 31, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Did you look at motul high torque dct fluid ?

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

2. Ferrari Car Guy

Jan 7, 2024
    Full Name:
    Hit Newborn
    I asked my certified Ferrari mechanic for a good substitute for Shell and was told to use Pentosin FFL-3.

https://amzn.to/3ShaVFw

3. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
  4. Giallo27

Giallo27 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    JB
    Whatever oil you pour into your DCT, don’t try to change viscosity as these transmissions have very small tolerances and can be affected by minor changes.

5. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Give the high torque says specifically for Ferrari ..that would be the one I choose

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Challenge likes this.
  6. nguyennhatquang

nguyennhatquang Karting

Feb 13, 2016
    Hanoi
    Challenge likes this.
  7. 458yogi

458yogi Rookie

Aug 28, 2022
    Long Beach CA
    Full Name:
    Sal
    Hello.! Does anybody know how to drain the DCT clutch part of the transmission?
    I referenced the workshop manual, but it makes no mention on how to drain it ( only how to fill it)
    Thank you.!

8. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Section C3.03

9. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Have a quick side question
    When performing the DCT fluids change, does the rear bumper need to come off?
    Or is it as simple as removing the rear diffuser panels and the under tray?

10. 458yogi

458yogi Rookie

Aug 28, 2022
    Long Beach CA
    Full Name:
    Sal
    you only need to remove the under tray and diffuser.
    Also buy this pump, it has an adapter that will make pumping the DCT fluid very easy.
    https://a.co/d/cguwbyP

T
    he whole process is fairly simple, DM me if you’ve got any troubles

11. hgoodwiniii

hgoodwiniii Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2015
    Hi everyone, I want to replace the gearbox oil in my 458. I don't want to buy a bucket of the Shell Spirax S5. I spoke to the parts department at my local dealership today and they said they carry a brand called Mcculloch (sp?). I'm wanting to ask if anyone has heard of and used this brand? Thanks.

12. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I had recommended in the above post Ravenol VSG -

hgoodwiniii likes this.
  13. hgoodwiniii

hgoodwiniii Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2015
    Correction - My local dealership says what they sell and use is Pakelo

14. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Same here with Pakelo. Seems to be a trusted and good product of fluids and oils. I have seen there bottles in use with the Risi Ferrari team at IMSA races.

hgoodwiniii likes this.
  15. hgoodwiniii

hgoodwiniii Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2015
    Yeah, I asked Pekelo for a spec sheet. I don't race my car or anything. I rev it, nail it and run it hard for a few seconds now and then so I may just go with the Pekelo since it's available locally. Thanks.

flash32 likes this.
  16. hgoodwiniii

hgoodwiniii Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2015
    Hi everyone, I'm trying to confirm what to expect when flushing and filling the DCT fluid and gearbox oil in my 458.

Are you all pretty much getting 8L out and 8L in when flushing the DCT fluid and 4L out and in when flushing the gearbox oil or is there some in there that I won't be able go get out? Thanks.

17. hgoodwiniii

hgoodwiniii Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2015
    Hi everyone, for the record, I was only able to get about 3.25L of gear box oil in my gearbox and about 6.5L if DCT fluid in my car after following FSM procedures and a couple of you tube videos for flushing and filling.

18. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    @hgoodwiniii thanks for the follow up. What brand fluids did you end up finding since the Shell fluids are near impossible to find and purchase.

19. sfcarguy

sfcarguy Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 9, 2018
    Earth
    Redline DCTF for the hydraulic side and Redline 75W-90NS for the gears

20. hgoodwiniii

hgoodwiniii Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2015
    You are welcomed. I went ahead and used the Pekelo Gear Oil and DCT fluid since it was readily available here in town. The one thing that caught me off-guard is that the guy at the dealership parts department asked if I were doing the work myself. I told him yes.

Then he said "I can’t remember if you need to actuate any of the valves to properly flush it. DCT fluids have friction modifiers to keep the clutches cool engaging smoothly and reduce failure. You’ll want to make sure you remove any residue to prevent it from clogging anything within the system."

I have seen no mention of actuating the valves when changing the DCT fluid anywhere else. I checked my diagnostic scanner and there is no option to actuate the DCT valves for a 458. I checked with a couple of other folks and they saw nothing that this needs to be done. I would appreciate if anyone here that may know otherwise will kindly chime in so we can all be informed. Thanks.

21. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    #46 mdrums, May 15, 2024
    Last edited: May 15, 2024
    @hgoodwiniii they do a DCT 458 refill on this video and show the process. They are actually fixing a cut transmission line that was leaking so past that the fill process starts around 8.55 on the video

22. hgoodwiniii

hgoodwiniii Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2015
    Yes, I saw this one for sure and a couple others. No mention of actuating any DCT valves when flushing/refilling.

mdrums likes this.
  23. hgoodwiniii

hgoodwiniii Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2015
    Yea, I just wanted to bring it up since the parts guy said it and to see if anyone heard of it. Thanks.