De Tomaso Pantera | FerrariChat

De Tomaso Pantera

Discussion in '308/328' started by Hans, Jun 17, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Hans

Hans F1 Veteran

Feb 17, 2006
    Hilversum, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans Teijgeler
    Anyone have any experience with a Pantera? What's it like, when compared to a 308? How cramped is the interior? How's the handling? What's it like to live with? The US engine and ZF tranny suggest reasonable maintenance costs, or is the rest absolutely horrific? How rust-prone is it?

(I just love the looks of this car)

THanks

Hans

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Check down in Other Italian Section I think there's extensive discussion there on it..

3. pad

pad Formula 3

Sep 30, 2004
    Tequesta, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Delatush
    Completely different cars. The Pantera is brutal - goes straight fast and loud and will get you into trouble, (read: into your neightbor's swimming pool), if you get too agressive on the turns. Look out for structural rust where the rear suspension connects to the frame. I restored a '73 Pantera years ago, it was a blast to drive. Basically, an american hot rod in an italian suit.

4. FLVICE

FLVICE Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2006
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Is that even considered an Italian car?????? If so Why? I had one beat out my 308 in a car show (Best italian in show).... and the announcer questioned it...but nobody knew... LOL

5. Ferrari328GT

Ferrari328GT Karting

Jan 6, 2008
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I have recently owned both a Pantera and a 328 at the same. Someone else gave me a great comparison: "The Ferrari is a ballerina, and the Pantera is a hooker." -Steve

6. edmguru

edmguru Karting

Mar 8, 2008
    N.Carolina
    Full Name:
    Glenn Coggins
    They are different animals. See www.panteraguy.com for my Pantera. The Ferrari is a prize fighter, the Pantera is a street fighter. Both do a good job. I have driven Ferrari and the Pantera, both are fast but in different ways. Oh, yes, the Pantera can handle if driven correctly. Rust is no worse than the Ferrari, provided it is cared for. Mine was stripped for painting and there was no rust after 36 years. I like bothe cars, I also have an NSX which is a delight, again, in it's own way.

7. JTR

JTR Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 26, 2005
    in a house
    Full Name:
    John
    I owned a 1973 for about 12 years and loved it! Sadly, it went with my fisrt divorce.
    All the above pretty well nails it,,, fun, good looking and fast!
    Learn how to drive it, otherwise it just understeers on tight corners.
    The Ford 351 Cleveland engine is about bullet proof, and if you bust it, relitively inexpensive to repair. The ZF tranny is another matter. Be sure the syncros are in good condition. Pantera specific parts can be expensive, but not too hard to find.
    John

8. Hans

Hans F1 Veteran

Feb 17, 2006
    Hilversum, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans Teijgeler
    Thanks guys, for your comments.

What do you think - Would a Pantera make a good daily driver for someone who couldn't care less about comfort? Give me a good seat and enough head- and legroom and I'll take a sporty ride over comfort any day.

How cramped are they anyway, when compare to - say - a 328?

(I'm 6'4" - totally hopeless in a Pantera, or doable?)

Thanks!

Hans
    (The Dino is parked outside on the office's parking lot at the moment - great way to make commuting FUN)

9. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Hans,

Find one and go drive it.

Apart from what others have said, inspect the wiring closely. Too many have burnt due to shorts. If the Pantera doesn't fit your frame, buy a Deauville:) I had one with a Pantera GTS engine, and it was a blast (but did 40ltrs/100km when driven hard)

10. barcheta

barcheta F1 Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Almost everything about it is italian... except the engine and gearbox.

11. FLVICE

FLVICE Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2006
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Well for me thats the heart and soul of the car..... its a mutt then :)

12. b27

b27 F1 World Champ

Oct 11, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Good car Hans, but keep in mind the fuel cost in Europe. These things pass everything except gas stations. :D:D

13. Hans

Hans F1 Veteran

Feb 17, 2006
    Hilversum, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans Teijgeler
    :D

What would be a realistic mpg figure?

My dino is doing 14 mpg. Anything in that range? Of course, it would be fairly easy to convert to engine to EFI and run it closer to 14.7:1....

14. Hans

Hans F1 Veteran

Feb 17, 2006
    Hilversum, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans Teijgeler
    LOL

Bear in mind that US muscle cars are also considered exotic over here. The pantera is just a marriage between a blue collar US bloke and a fine italian lady. Guaranteed to give interesting results... Italian passion combined with the if-it-don't-fit-use-a-bigger-hammer US mentality. Subtle as a Sherman tank :D:D:D

15. barcheta

barcheta F1 Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Jim
    touché... but with an italian accent :)

16. duz185

duz185 Karting

Jul 10, 2007
    Indy

Correct. Kinda like Lotus using Toyota engines and Porsche using VW engines.

17. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    At the same time I would certainly not say no to an Iso Grifo or a Bizzarini 5300. Detroit lump or not, still great cars. Better still, Mangusta is tops.

18. b27

b27 F1 World Champ

Oct 11, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Couldn't quote a figure Hans, but a 5 litre back then has to be down around the 10mpg. My mate has a Jensen Interceptor and some of them get down to 5-6mpg with the foot down. :D

But hey who cares they sound good. :)

19. duz185

duz185 Karting

Jul 10, 2007
    Indy
    Hans, another benefit to owning a Pantera is that you can have fun with it and modify it to make it your own and not be governed by rules that frown on you if you change the color of a screw. There is such diversity and so many flavors that you can find one that has been either modernized, retro look, or original. You are guaranteed lots of attention. Like some others have stated, the biggest thing when buying one is to watch out for rust!

20. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    I wanna a Pantera! :)

21. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

I had a 74 for 15years. Went to a Viper Coupe, 930 TR then F355. The Pantera is a hot rod. Lousy interior. excellent driving visibilty. Stock the car is not very good. Noisy, bad AC, ok handling, and as fast as you want to make it. I spent $40,000 modifing mine and then it was a good car but wish I would have gotten ride of it earlier and gotten one of the cars mentioned before.

22. Hans

Hans F1 Veteran

Feb 17, 2006
    Hilversum, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans Teijgeler
    :D

I'd have thought that with your FChat nickname and the squadron of F-cars that you have, you'd have a Pantera already! Or two, or one of each model ;)

23. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Body and chassis are indeed Italian, interesting insights in this thread, most of the runners I have seen (huge club here in Houston) have been highly sorted for track/race use, as a 308GTB would require as well I'd add.

Leave you with JRV's take on them: "An Italian coachbuilt car with a Ford engine, the WORST of BOTH worlds!" ROTFLMAO!

Actually, as noted above I'd rather scatter a domestic motor rather than one of my cars.....

24. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    Hans, just go get yourself a nice Mini. :)