De-Yellowing My 612 | FerrariChat

De-Yellowing My 612

Discussion in '612/599' started by southnc, Oct 31, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    #1 southnc, Oct 31, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have an 07 612 HGTS; Grigio Sillverstone with Aluminum painted Calipers. It also came with the Yellow SF badges. And, being a US-Spec vehicle, you know about the lights.

After careful consideration, I decided to make 3 minor exterior changes to the car to make it look more consistent and what I believe to be a proper Ferrari:
    1) Replaced side and rear lights with Dark Lights
    2) Replace Yellow Wheel Center Caps with Ferrari factory carbon ones
    3) Replace Yellow SF Shields with carbon ones

My reason for changes:
    1) Tone down all the required US Spec lights - especially the front yellowish side lights
    2) Yellow caps drown-out the aluminum calipers - carbon is better, albeit more expensive
    3) Enough of the bright yellow SF Shields! They distract from the rest of the car and, IMO, are not appropriate; they are supposed to be on factory race cars - not production cars. I also feel those shields look ridiculous on GT cars. However, cars with factory shields have an indentation in the body; so, you cannot eliminate them - you have to replace them. The carbon shields seemed like the right compromise and go well with the body color.

My two previous Ferraris were a 328 GTS and 512 BBi Boxer - neither had shields.

I've attached before & after pics. Some of you may not agree, but I like the new look. I especially like the way the aluminum calipers now pop into view. The shop told me comments from other customers were positive.

Let me know your thoughts...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Laci, F3RN4ND0 and lee-o like this.
  2. PinkyT

PinkyT Rookie

Sep 24, 2014
    Canada
    I think it looks amazing. Well done.

lee-o likes this.
  3. PinkyT

PinkyT Rookie

Sep 24, 2014
    Canada
    Adam. Did you paint the calipers or they stock? Same ? with the wheels?

4. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Good questions: Calipers are Stock, according to the build sheet. Not sure about the wheels; that is how I got the car used.

5. PinkyT

PinkyT Rookie

Sep 24, 2014
    Canada
    I think it looks amazing. Well done.

6. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I wouldn't do that on my color car, but it does look great on yours. Two thumbs up!

7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Those are the wheels that come with the HGTS package.

"HGTS Package includes: Sports Exhausts, Modular Wheel Rims 19″ with Sport Tires, Colored Brake Calipers, Specific Suspension Control ECU, Revised F1 Gearbox Software with Shorter Gear Shift times."

Somebody just undid all the blacked out lights on a tan (forget the exact color) 612. Could have gotten a really good deal on those.

8. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    LOL - That IS the person I got those dark lights from, BTW. I contacted him, after he purchased regular lights for his.

Good memory on your part.

Yes, those are the factory HGTS wheels; I'm just not sure if they came originally painted matte black or not.

9. devil boy

devil boy Karting

Apr 21, 2014
    Bath, UK
    #9 devil boy, Nov 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I am considering a similar exercise on my wing shields and wheel centres. What was your source for these parts and are the shield changes an easy job able to be done at home?

10. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Muuch better.

11. omd78

omd78 F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2005
    Breda, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Novitec rear lights?

Gr. Martin

12. devil boy

devil boy Karting

Apr 21, 2014
    Bath, UK
    Yes novitec.

13. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Very nice 612.

The carbon centers are from Ferrari and can be had at most Ferrari dealers. They are also sold via eBay as well. They are twice as expensive as the other centers that Ferrari offers in various colors. I believe they retail around $400-450 USD.

Ferrari also makes those dark shields; but, they are extremely difficult to find and are expensive. I spoke with a 599 owner at a recent Euro show at the BMW factory, who managed to find them and install on his car. Thankfully, there is a gentleman who makes an even nicer version of the shields at a much lower price point. Those are the ones I acquired; as have others. Here is the link in FChat:
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/ferrari-parts-collectibles/455497-ferrari-scuderia-fender-shields-badges-enamel-carbon-fiber.html

Cheers!

14. HogPilot

HogPilot Karting
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 9, 2014
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Todd Williams
    I think your car looks very nice with the changes you've made. I like a blacked out car myself and I'm a huge fan of the charcoal grey color in general.

15. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    When reading your original post I thought .... NOT
    But your after pictures look awesome, very tasteful I like the look a lot.
    Good Job, goes really good with that color of car.

16. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    +1.

I don't like shields, particularly on the 4 seaters. Car looks muuuuch better de-yellowed.
    I might even look for carbon shields w a black horsey too.

Unfortunate that the fenders are stamped for the shields...no easy fix. Nobody's putting bondo on their Ferrari and new fenders just too costly and a PITA. IMO, shields ruin the lines of the car...esp on 599, 612, F12 and FF...but they're a quick 2K for the factory so...

17. M-individual

M-individual F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2007
    GTO, 458C, GT3RS
    … a change for the better. Well done.

18. Lfpontes

Lfpontes Karting

Nov 1, 2010
    São Paulo
    Full Name:
    Luiz.
    Personal preference, But I prefer the color touch on the 1st pic. Silverstone grey is subtle, so it deserves a bit of a color

19. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Adam- Black paint was not an option on those wheels. Silver paint (HGTS) and ball polished (HGTC) were the two color options.

20. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Thanks, Terry.

I guess the previous owner had them painted, and I kind of like the matte black with that body color; so, no complaints from me. Of course, they are susceptible to scratches from rocks (etc), and need the occasional touch-ups.

I'm trying to warm up to the Challenge wheels, but I just can't imagine a Ferrari without a 5-point star-design type wheel. I may go to larger wheels / tires some day, but I'll probably pick a traditional 5-point star design used on other cars, such as the 458.

21. Seaninhongkong

Seaninhongkong Karting

Sep 8, 2014
    Chicago USA
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I had no idea what you were talking about... De yellow... But the photos showed it clearly. Love the dark lights. Really nice!

22. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    Very nice. I completely agree with you on not having shields on these cars. Only think for me is the black wheels. I think it takes away from the elegance of the car. Silver Challenge wheels would look beautiful on that car.

23. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I love the shields, the car looks naked without them. :)

FERR430dxb likes this.
  24. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam

Silver wheels are nice. However, I'm having a tough time with Challenge wheels. To me, a Ferrari without a 5-point star wheel just too much for me.

25. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    It didn't look bad before, but I like the subtle changes. Bravo.