Dead battery after 2 weeks! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Dead battery after 2 weeks!

Discussion in '360/430' started by spourreza, Apr 8, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. handdoc

handdoc Karting

Apr 3, 2014
    car should have come w/ a battery conditioner, plugs in under right side of passenger dash

in any of my cars that are not being used every day i plug them in, saves headaches

2. Tally Ho

Tally Ho Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2007
    Niceville, FL
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Here's my dilemma. F430 with brand new Optima battery. It started fine two days ago but was not driven. I moved it out of the garage to wash it. This morning I went to drive it and no go. The pump primed when the door opened and the interior lights came on. I got the ok light and pushed the start button. All I got was clicking and all of the dash warning lights. It kept defaulting to CST as well. Any ideas? I had to leave for work so no chance to check anything. My car is all stock. No aftermarket electronic components.

3. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
  4. conscom

conscom Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2008
    Vancouver BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Gary
    +1
    I would not go smaller but rather the largest possible. They have very high cranking amps for first 5 seconds but you also need to larger deep cycle capacity for longevity.

5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bill- Sounds like she went flat. There have been some problems with Optima batteries after Johnson Controls bought them and moved production to Mexico. Ferrari fitted them as OEM on some of the V8 models around 2008, but had so many problems, they went to Braille or Interstate as replacements.

If she deep discharges, a normal battery charger may not work and you will have to take her back to the dealer for charging or replacement. Hopefully you can use the battery disconnect switch, recharge her with a regular battery charger, not a maintainer, and she will be ok.

6. Tally Ho

Tally Ho Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2007
    Niceville, FL
    Full Name:
    Bill
    #31 Tally Ho, Apr 11, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
    Taz - Thanks for the input. It is slowly charging up now. I measured 11.2V. Trying to determine if I have a parasite stealing voltage. Everything is stock except the air horns. Nothing drawing there until you push the horn button. The only other thing I see is the Becker radio flashing red light.

Update: I got her running after the quick relearn. Drove it out on the highway and got it good and warmed up. Drove around for about 10-15 minutes. I parked it and let it sit for 5 minutes. Fired right up. I'm letting it sit overnight to see if it dies again. If it does, I'll have it load tested and replaced if needed.

7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bill- 11.2 volts is very low. Keep an eye on her and make sure she is up around 12.4 volts before starting.

8. Tally Ho

Tally Ho Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2007
    Niceville, FL
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I should have clarified it was 11.2V before I started charging. I'll be checking it again in a few hours to see if it dropped overnight.

9. eyeman1234

eyeman1234 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 25, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    Last night at the Ferrari Club dinner table four different owners were asking:
    "Why only the Ferraris in their collections have trouble lasting 1-2 weeks off of a battery maintainer?"
    The Ferrari mechanic thought it was due to poor quality batteries from Ferrari...
    Anybody want to offer an alternative explanation?

10. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    Seems like that could be proven/disproven once batteries are replaced with better quality ones.

11. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    Maybe too long between being driven? IMHO if you subscribe to Ferrari Fridays it should never go longer than 1 week.

12. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I have a lot of cars and some of my storage areas do not have power, so I have spare battery (I try to use odyssey when possible), for each car. I only use digital trickle chargers and I have a couple of genius portable chargers, as well as a battery charger (one of those big things on wheels like shops have), which I use when I rotate out a battery. One last thing I have this really big portable charger designed to have enough power to jump a few semi's (it is not that small and it is heavy and not cheap) before it drains, and I found out if I turn it on and attach it to the battery in one of my cars for about 10-15 minutes, when I take it off the car starts. Comes in handy when one of the cars that is in a place without power has a discharge issue. I have not tried this with a Ferrari but I have feeling it will work as well as it has on the other cars. It is not just Ferrari's with these issues I have the same problem with my 997, 4C and Evora400, after about 2 weeks the battery is down to 25% or less if not left on a charger.

eyeman1234 likes this.
  13. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    I recently had an incident where my battery (one year old) was completely drained by a faulty battery charger. I replaced the battery tender with a new one and luckily everything went back to normal. I had replaced my battery about a year ago with an Optimum red top. The old battery other than being 7 years old, it was still good. I think it's important to change batteries every 5 years to be on the safe side.

14. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Are there a lot of guys out there that are still running those crappy Fiamms?

15. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Probably, some are die hard original Ferrari parts no matter how crappy they are.

The key is to install very good battery like Interstate battery and use AGM so it won't leak acid inside the car.

Use a very good latest technology battery charger.

And replace batteries preventively every 3 - 4 years.

My 2 cents, based on my own personal experience.

Dan

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

16. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I meant battery maintainer and not just battery charger.

Dan

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

17. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    I have 4 cars on trickle chargers. Aston is worse than F. BMW bad too. Most last two weeks without chargers on. It’s because of all the electronics.

whatheheck likes this.
  18. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    If all these cars were used as daily drivers, the problem would not exist!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app