Dead Pista Battery | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Dead Pista Battery

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by SoCal to az, Aug 1, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Over the years Ive found brown outs and power outages cause havoc with tenders. My solution was to replace the included tender with the Ctek 7002 because it seemed more robust and wasnt as bothered by such things. But the Pista requires its own Lithium battery tender. So, I purchased a small UPS (the power surge battery for your computer) and I plug the Pista tender into that- this way if theres a power outage, the UPS has enough juice to probably keep the tender going for quite some time- It also has the benefit of smoothing out any spikes in the power etc. Ive gotten these small UPS for my other cars on tenders. Probably belt and suspenders approach but thats where Ive ended up. No issues so far.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

dhlnb, ouzo12, iMrMark and 4 others like this.
  2. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    That’s really smart. You have link to your favorite one?

3. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Thanks, sure here it is:

APC UPS Battery Backup and Surge Protector, 600VA Backup Battery Power Supply, BE600M1 Back-UPS with USB Charger Port https://a.co/d/dLYePri

There might be better ones, this is the one I found. I think the battery is not replaceable. Ive been using these in other applications for small devices protection and after a few years youll hear it beeping- the battery is gone- you need to get a new one..

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

wthensler and Thecadster like this.
  4. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    For us folks in hurricane impact zone the surge/backup unit is a must if you have a Pista. I also bought a supplemental Ctek charger which I now use. Never had confidence with the one which came with the car (after my battery failure).

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  5. watt

watt Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northern Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Giuseppe T Hemingway
    This reminds of the old fragility Ferrari are famous for! I didnt buy a Pista for this kind of hassle. Thank you for this thread - had no idea I needed a roadside app, nor the reset of the charger -- thanks guys.

6. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    this is the first problem I’ve had so I wouldn’t read too Much into it. These cars are fairly bulletproof.

SAFE4NOW and Art138 like this.
  7. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    I have three cars on chargers (458,F8S, STO) and I purchased a UPS and CTEKs for the Ferraris. The Lambo doesn’t seem as ‘frail’ electronically, the F cars I just accept and keep them plugged in.

The 458 does what it wants, no rhyme or reason, so I replace the battery every 2-3 years. Interstate or Bosch, $300 installed.

8. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Thanks! Just ordered it.

Caeruleus11 and Thecadster like this.
  9. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    No issues so far. Once charged up great. I have to take it in to the dealer to get it checked out but just haven’t had the witnesses but it drives just fine.

Thecadster likes this.
  10. cool, good to hear

SoCal to az likes this.
  11. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Same thing just happened to me. Drove last weekend, and been on the tender since. Went to drive it last night, and dead battery. Performed the special reset maneuver on the tender probably around 20-30 times. Took forever, but I finally got the battery to wake up. Two lights are glowing now. If the battery wasn’t $7,000 to replace, I would just trash it and get a new one. Pista batteries suck. You can do everything right, and still end up with a dead battery.

On a side note, I took the 812 out instead last night, and when I can out from dinner, the key fob was dead and wouldn’t unlock the car. I ended up Ubering home for the spare key. Of all the special cars I have owned the last 5 years, it’s really only Ferrari that has let me down.

Viperjoe, Coincid and SoCal to az like this.
  12. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Sad. This really shouldn't happen to a modern car.

13. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I can’t get the damn volume on the Pista to function properly and you guys are surprised by a crappy battery? Lol.

Ferrari=worse tech ever.

Gh21631 and Coincid like this.
  14. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Big reason I passed on the SF90 is that I didn't have confidence in the tech.

15. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Decades later, simple battery issues still exist even on a $7000 one. I find it puzzling that the complexity of the new hybrid technology does not instill trepidation.

Solid State, JTSE30 and Gh21631 like this.
  16. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Stop complaining. At least your brakes work and you do not have sticky buttons.

Cigarzman and Thecadster like this.
  17. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    It does. it does quite a bit.

Viperjoe and Coincid like this.
  18. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I don’t have sticky buttons….yet. I almost certainly will someday though.

19. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    To be clear, I certainly understand the cost of admission on these cars, but $7,000 for a battery is absurd. I don’t mind spending money, but I absolutely loathe wasting money.

Coincid, Gh21631 and SoCal to az like this.
  20. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Its quite stupid.

21. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Shouldn't this be a warranty issue or has that expired?

22. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Late to the party but had the same issue with an older trickle charger- Power interruption- Even brief- caused it to not re-initiate meaning dead battery until reset.

Trick- I got a cheap digital alarm clock and plugged it into same outlet as trickle charger- If the alarm clock is flashing then you know you had a power interruption at some point and need to reset the charger.

Or use one of these- No reset/power interruption issues- Cheers :cool:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

RoadRonin and SoCal to az like this.
  23. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    The warranty expires upon the battery becoming faulty.

24. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #50 Shorn355, Sep 24, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2022
    H6/Group-48 Lithium Car Battery – Antigravity Batteries
    https://antigravitybatteries.com/products/starter-batteries/automotive/ag-h6-rs/

Not sure if that exact one fits a Pista- It does fit 458/488- I have one on order for my 458 since I have a challenge with not being able to keep it on the battery tender when not driving it and tired of taking the portable power unit to storage and charging with the battery tender- Cheers

Disregard ===> Found this posted by another member :(

Feb 17, 2021 · 7 posts · 4 authors
    As I posted in my thread regarding the AntiGravity H6/Group-48 battery -- it is NOT compatible with the 2020 488 Pista due to the LIN bus ...