Dead Pista Battery | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Dead Pista Battery

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by SoCal to az, Aug 1, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    You do not purchase a Ferrari for the tech. You buy an engine and the rest of the car comes as a bonus.

JTSE30 likes this.
  2. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Totally agree which is why I wish they would just get rid of it all. Give me analog gauges and a radio with a knob. Put all that weight, engineering into the engine.

JTSE30, Coincid and Thecadster like this.
  3. But then you'd be stuck with sticky buttons ...

4. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Cadster- Is your 812 the GTS?

5. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    #55 Thecadster, Sep 25, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2022
    No…still running with my 3.5 year old 2019 SF in Grigio Silverstone over Cioccolato Daytona racing seats. My GTS hasn’t been built yet. My SA continues to target fall 2023 delivery. Mine will probably be one of the last ones built. I continue to be nervous about how well I might fit. Another FChatter was kind enough to let me sit in his, but his has comfort seats. Racing seats without the seat adjuster offers a ton more room. It remains to be seen if that extra room will be enough. The 812 SF spoils you with a cavernous cabin area, which is important for my oversized frame. I hope it works out because the GTS is about the perfect car because of how many different hats it can wear.

Coincid likes this.
  6. watt

watt Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northern Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Giuseppe T Hemingway
    Regarding Pista battery - have owners found fewer problems with longer trips charging more fully? Does lotsa sitting, starting, short drives stress the battery? thanks

7. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Not sure. But the whole battery debacle creates a significant amount of distrust in the car. I’ve already been stranded once in my Pista. I do have an update, it appears as though my battery charged back up. I am hoping to get out for a drive this afternoon.

8. Yes, for sure.

Best remedy for battery problems is to use your Pista as a daily driver.

9. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    First thing I do upon start up is to deactivate the Stop/Start function; I was advised that this feature impacts the already sensitive Lithium battery’s ability to keep a strong charge - particularly in heavy stop & go traffic.

Thecadster likes this.
  10. You know what's weird.

My start/stop button doesn't even work. It's always off. I can't even toggle it on even if I wanted to.

Sh!!ty Ferrari electronics, no doubt.

Art138 likes this.
  11. Drewcati

Drewcati Rookie

Jul 9, 2014
    Texas
    WOULD LOVE ANY/ALL OPINIONS: Do you feel this is an issue that every Pista owner will one day have to face?

I’ve been shopping this car and so far the turbo was the only area of concern which seems to be partially addressed with its addition to the power warranty’s coverage.

However, just now learning about this battery issue, which would not be covered under extended warranty.

I had to replace the battery in my 458 and fully expected to do the same in the Pista, just not for 7k or even 3-4k.

12. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    FWIW After being a lithium ION skeptic, I made the switch to Braille and. CTEk in the F8 and 458
    Very pleased

I generally drive in Race mode. The reason I mention this is that some a said something about the alternator charging at a less aggressive level in Race in order to maximize performance

I will say that the 458 alternator charges at a higher level while driving And when trickle charging the 458 tops up an hour sooner than the F8 due to a difference in the state of charge while drivingI

I’ve heard Ferrari sources their Lithium ION battery from Hungary? Anyone know the brand company and how they compare ?

13. lowmpg

lowmpg Rookie

Oct 7, 2022
    Full Name:
    Roger Hart
    #63 lowmpg, Dec 28, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2022
    What is the status of this battery now ?

Posted by Shorn355 - "As I posted in my thread regarding the AntiGravity H6/Group-48 battery -- it is NOT compatible with the 2020 488 Pista due to the LIN bus ."

I may be able to refurbish / replace the insides of the Pista battery while keeping the LIN bus intact.
    If there is anyone with this Pista lithium Battery that is willing to try, pm me.

14. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    did all pista come with the lithium or was it an option on all ferraris?

15. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    #65 MalibuGuy, Dec 28, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2022
    Was not an option on the 458
    Was an option on the F8 when I specced, and so I selected it.

However, Factory had second thoughts. And so for model year 2021, not an option even if desired

After 1 year of DD, the Fiamm box (little box of garbage) died after a 35 min drive when I stopped at the store

Replaced with the Braille

blkdiablo33 likes this.
  16. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    thanks for the info,i just replace mine usually every 2.5 years good or bad

17. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Bought a new one at 7300 dollars!!! And for labor $ 500 !

Ridiculous imo ! Theft !

Get a new one yourself instead of paying the idiot prices, and ask how long the warranty is before ... mostly is (?) 5 years ... I think.

18. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Many of us on this site have been looking for alternatives…..as mentioned in other posts the Pista’s Lithium battery has an extra connector that seems to come from one manufacturer in Europe. Tried several companies in the UK which sell F parts to no avail. If anyone has a work around let us know.