Deal is done. McLaren Renault & Toro Rosso Honda for 2018 | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Deal is done. McLaren Renault & Toro Rosso Honda for 2018

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, Sep 11, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    He is also saying behind the Honda engine is like cube steak rather than fillet mignon.

2. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Honda is like roadkill

3. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    Because Honda isn't that at all. They admitted earlier this year that being stuck in their ways had caused their cars to become even more stale and that they were working to change it.

Then you have Formula 1. They fibbed about power increases. They also fibbed about reliability improvements. They also didn't deliver on upgrades. They admitted more than once that they greatly underestimated this whole undertaking.

When the track suits the McLaren, the McLaren shows it is a chassis that isn't half bad. When the track suits the powerplant, the McLaren fumbles, falters, and DNFs.

Honda should focus on shutting their mouth and actually delivering an engine that isn't an international embarrassment. They have no ground to stand on right now.

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  4. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    When it comes to time lines and schedules and culture, I would take Mclaren over Honda in this current formula. Honda's been outta-da-loop. Honda should conform to Mclaren and not the other way around. I realize Honda pays most of the bills but at what cost; they are an embarrasement right now. Also realizing that Honda came into this formula with nothing......but 3 years already.:rolleyes:

5. Caracciola

Caracciola Karting
    BANNED

I'm sure McLaren is glad to see the back of Honda. Renault may not be on the same level with Ferrari and Mercedes, but Red Bull don't seem to do too bad with it. We will see next year if Woking is able to regain some ground on the opposition and finish with a better ranking.

6. nsxrebel

nsxrebel Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    If anything, Honda will finally have better livery, even if they're not at the front end of the grid. I do hope for their sake, that PU makes more power and has more reliability

Attached Files:

7. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    My guess is Alonso will stay with McLaren but they will cut half of his salary. It's the half Honda was paying for.

I still think this is the dumbest and most short sided move in F1 ever. Renault wants to rebuild its own team. Every time a McLaren finishes ahead of them it's going to be completely embarrassing in France.

McLaren is now paying for the third best engine in the grid. I won't disagree Honda has had reliability problems. But Renault hasn't????

Does McLaren seriously believe their chassis is that much better than RB? If it isn't then they are now competing with Force India instead of Toro Rosso.

Wow. Gee and it only costed them $100 million from Honda who are now their competitor!

8. Caracciola

Caracciola Karting
    BANNED

Renault doesn't expect to become a top team for a few years anyway, so getting beaten by McLaren (if and when it happens) will not be seen as a humiliation.

9. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Pretty sure oil companies have played a major role in this swap of engines. Exxon was with Honda until last year and with Red Bull Toro Rosso from this.
    BP is is already with Mclaren and Renault at the same time.

10. CSM0TION

CSM0TION Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    I can't believe these changes and now having Aston be the sponsor for RBR. They don't have any money! What are they really going to add?