Dealer won't start or allow test drives for an 89 Testarossa in Clearwater, FL | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Dealer won't start or allow test drives for an 89 Testarossa in Clearwater, FL

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by atomsrock, Mar 26, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. atomsrock

atomsrock Rookie

Mar 21, 2004
    Yes, any information would be appreciated!

2. atomsrock

atomsrock Rookie

Mar 21, 2004
    John,

The car has been sitting for years is what I was told.

3. atomsrock

atomsrock Rookie

Mar 21, 2004
    The maintenance records appeared to be faxed copies, plus, there was only one set of maintenance records, not good for a 15 yo car.

4. atomsrock

atomsrock Rookie

Mar 21, 2004
    Hummm.

Well, I purchase Martin Logan speakers and Krell amplifiers without having to listen to the actual item since they have terrific warrantys, however, a 15 year old car.

Do you want to buy some real estate?

5. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG

So they did offer a test drive and you refused.

Whats the big deal if you wanted the car you'd have accepted the test drive had it PPI'd the put in an offer subject to a decent test drive.

6. johnw

johnw Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2002
    toronto
    Full Name:
    john
    hey stupid, do you get off on starting a car and hearing it rev??? if your little peanut brain could comprehend what i wrote you would understand that when you get a test drive the car would have to be started duhhh. is that too great a concept for you to understand??

as far as someone wanting to just start the car, and NOT test drive it, no way. what's the point? you still haven't stated one.

you want to hear it go vrooom vrooom ?

get a life.

7. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    There are plenty of other Testarossas around. I would let this one go. Maybe past test drives have turned something up and that's why they don't want it to go out......

8. johnw

johnw Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2002
    toronto
    Full Name:
    john
    that's not good.

9. atomsrock

atomsrock Rookie

Mar 21, 2004
    Well, we know that you didn't major in english, I didn't ask them to start it, they told me that they wouldn't even start it. I didn't refuse a test drive, I refused a "spin around the parking lot", but then again, that may be what you consider a test drive.

They then offered me a "real" test drive.

Chill out dude, don't get upset, I'm certainly not worth it. And by the way, you couldn't possibly upset me. I've seen thousands of bodies in a mass graves, there's not much that upsets me.

C.

10. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas

Aside from all the obvious engine concerns, you definitely want to check on the tires for "tire rot".... My 512TR sat around for a year at the dealership until my recent purchase and I just spent over $1300 on brand new P-tires to replace the old ones (which were also brand new with less than 2% wear) but they were bad.

11. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco

Ummmm, Atomsrock.........I do believe "JohnW" was talking to "isellpower" those comments were not for you dude. Sorry, had to say it. And before that......those comments by "isellpower" also weren't directed at you, it was for JohnW. They are simply arguing with each other. I see you are new, no worries. Just take a look at the reply format and you will know what I mean. Just thought i'd let you know.

As for the Red Head, I would pass on that car. If it's been sitting for years that means somethings up. The records seem shady, the whole deal seems shady. As everyone else is saying there are tonnes of Tr's around. Thats all I can help you with. Unless you want to buy one from Toronto, I can get you a few here ;-)

All the best my friend.

Vasco.R

12. Eric308gtsiqv

Eric308gtsiqv Formula 3

Nov 26, 2001
    Orange Park, Florida
    Full Name:
    Eric Eiland
    atomsrock...just sent you a couple of e-mails. Won't be able to touch base until tomorrow evening...talk to you then.

13. LP400S

LP400S Formula 3

May 18, 2002
    West Coast
    I know that car. I was interested in buying it about 4 years ago. When I looked at it then the engine had spider webs all over it and they said they could not even start it for me because the cam belts were so old. I then saw it still sitting there about 1 and 1/2 year ago and they still had it sitting there. I guess during that time they had a service done at Shelton. To me it looked like it had more then 11,000 miles. One of the reasons it's been sitting so long is the price of $89,000. The thing that attracted me to it was the white color.

14. johnw

johnw Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2002
    toronto
    Full Name:
    john

lol, those comments were definitely not directed at you. classicferrari is right on.

15. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I 100% agree with Tom. I being a dealer at one time know how difficult this situation can be.

16. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    If this gentleman is telling us this then you mine as well end this thread now. LOL That car is NOT for you! SteveM looked at it 4 years ago? WOW, cob-webs??? wooohooo......f-that

White is kinda cool although I would never buy a white car. If I did buy a white Testa I would be sure to have the white suit/shoes/no socks and the Jan Hammer blarring on the stereo system.............Tubbs you with me bro??

Cheers,

Vasco.R

17. atomsrock

atomsrock Rookie

Mar 21, 2004
    Let's not forget the Raybans too dude!

Four years ago! Spider webs! Tell me more, email mail me privately, please.

Interestingly, white is the most common color for automobiles in America.

18. atomsrock

atomsrock Rookie

Mar 21, 2004
    Well, a week later I arrive for the scheduled test drive. First let me state that I forwarded him the three page check list of how to test drive a Testarossa.

Well, when I walk in the door, the first thing the dealer tells me is that he won't allow a PPI or any mechanic to inspect the vehicle, and that the test drive will only consist of a "ride around the block..... once" and he then added that "we're not going over 40 mph" and "that we're firm at not taking any less than $90,000 for the car"

He then added (and I'm not making this up) that there were only seven (7) white Testarossa made, ever, for the entire production run, and (again, I'm not making this up) this car was used in Miami Vice!

I kind of thought that he was joking, but..... now the fun starts.....

The car wouldn't start..... not even after 35 minutes of trying!

I thanked him for his time and began to leave and he stated (and I'm not making this up) "I'll take $85,000 for the car"

I didn't laugh, I kind of felt pity for him, shook his hand and thanked him again for his time and left.

What a waste of time.

Luckily, I was able to locate a client to go have lunch with.

I think that I'm going to stick to authorized Ferrari dealerships from now on.

19. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Well both Miami Vice TRs were delivered by FNA as Black, then resprayed for the cameras!

Run, do not walk!

20. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    Check out the Testarossa at champion porsche, it is a very good car, I know the car.

21. atomsrock

atomsrock Rookie

Mar 21, 2004
    Is it on their web site? I checked, I saw the 360 and the 550.

22. Eric308gtsiqv

Eric308gtsiqv Formula 3

Nov 26, 2001
    Orange Park, Florida
    Full Name:
    Eric Eiland
  23. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J

Ain't that the truth? TOTAL TOOLBOX !!! You want to sell your car and no one can even START it? Get over yourself dude! If a dealer takes the car on consignment and something goes wrong while the car is in their possession you SHOULD be covered, unless you are dealing with "Big ***** Bompensaro's Used Car Emporium"

24. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    EXACTLY, it's called CUSTOMER SERVICE... a term sorely lacking in today's business climate IMHO

25. garysp7

garysp7 Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2004
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I have to agree with Tom on his postings.
    It helps if the dealer feels he is dealing with a qualified buyer who is seriously shopping.
    I am currently shopping now. Two weeks ago, I first had a very good friend who owns several F cars call the dealer and iniform hiom I would be calling. I then called the sales manager and made an appontment and told him what my goals were, which were to look at two models and if possible dive them.
    When Is hoed up, first I was given a new maserati convertible to drive with the F1 shifter. They are really willing to deal with them to get them on the road. Then I was givevn the keys to a 2003 360 coupe with an F1. The manager went with me on both drives and he did not mind when we went on the highway and wrung them both out. I now have an appointment to cme back over the next two weeks to return to drive an 2001 550 with a 6 spped to compare. I made it clear to him that I am not sure what I want and that I may not even buy the car from him but I do expect him to service what ever I end up with. He also knows I will be looking for a mint used car. He has been very accomodating and has not said no to anything. I have asked for catologes for each model and he has given them to me.
    I am sure he will get it all back on the first service call.
    I would never consider buying from anyone who would not start the car and take it out.
    I have been told by my friend that finding the really right Ferrari can take as long as a year.
    Good luck
    Gary