Dealers: How do you see them? | FerrariChat

Dealers: How do you see them?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by steved033, Jun 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    So today I was in an un-named dealer, as a visitor. As a clue, this dealer is nearly as far away as you can get in the 48 states from my home dealer. Anyway, there are two women in there, and they're talking about whatever with the salesman. There are two pre-teen boys and an early teen girl using the place basically as a playground.

The girl asks an actual legit question at one point (the boys are still running around). "What is a gas guzzler tax?" and literally the salesman didn't know.

Then it was back to running around and opening pretty much every car and sitting in it, etc with the boys.

So I ask... Should dealers be places of refuge (like a library, or a gallery)? or should they be like any other dealer?

sjd
    ...oh, and 488 spider (factory?) alarms are REALLY REALLY REALLY loud, especially indoors.

2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I have loved motorcycles since I was 14 years old. About 20 years ago, I had an opportunity to open a BMW dealership. When I talked to a guy who owned a dealership, he said, "Why would you want to ruin a good hobby." Being a dealer is a PIA.

3. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    I feel ya.

I guess it's not being upset with the dealer...it's being upset with parenting. (my mom would have killed me when I got home if I'd acted that way.)

sjd

4. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Parenting is a lost art nowadays...

5. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    You were lucky. My mom had three stages - dirty look, verbal reprimand, and someone is getting a whuppin'!!
    T

Dolcevita and steved033 like this.
  6. davidoloan

davidoloan Formula Junior

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David

This happened to me for real. I filled in and posted a 911 brochure request from a newspaper ad. On a Saturday morning a salesman phoned me from the local Porsche dealer. I explained I was 13 and not really in a position to buy a Porsche at the present, and he said that was no problem at all, said that he would be happy to sell me one in about twenty years and he sent me some hardback brochures and a business card.

I think its smart to treat kids who show an interest well, though different times from a safety point of view. If they are noisy so be it.

7. davidoloan

davidoloan Formula Junior

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
  8. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    I agree, and I'll cite the "do you let kids sit in your car" thread, and perhaps I was a bit tired from being in the sun and car all day, and was looking forward to more of a gallery experience.

If you don't cultivate young people's interest, who will buy your collector vehicles when you're old?

sjd

9. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    In my view dealers should treat everybody the same. You never know who or when somebody will buy a car.

For me memories are long.

I for one will never ever buy a Mercedes or Audi ever again after the way I have been treated by dealers in the past. And I don’t think I’m shooting myself in the foot as there is more than enough really good competition out there, Volvo, bmw, jaguar etc etc.

As to the poorly behaving kids; they need a “clip around the back of the head”. Poor parenting seems to be a fairly common issue these days. I have no hesitation in telling kids off if the parents don’t and it’s something “obvious”.

tifoso2728 and Texas Forever like this.
  10. GameMaker

GameMaker Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2014
    WA State
    I kinda love the guys at my dealer. Also I don't dress up, typically wear shorts + t-shirt.

11. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I got stuck on ferrari due to a shop next door to my dad's office when I was a kid. The owner..who I still to this day keep in touch with, allowed me to crawl around inside brand new testarossa's and 328's and the odd Countach.

That set me on the path doing what I do today.

12. pizzadude

pizzadude Formula 3

Feb 20, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    Man thats good stuff !
    That’s the way it should be.

13. pizzadude

pizzadude Formula 3

Feb 20, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    I feel like I recognize the voice in the Porsche commercial....anyone??
    I think it just sounds a bit like Martin Sheen but don’t think it’s him.

14. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Seen the Porsche ad many times before (a fave), but never the Jaguar one. Very cool...T

15. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Or just the opposite. I remember when Chicago Bears RW McQuarters had just signed a big contract in the early 2000's. He and a "friend" walked into Ferrari dealer Lake Forest Sportscars and demanded to test drive a 360 Modena. He was quite loud and arrogant. The owner asked him to leave.

Loved it.

16. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Well parenting has changed. So much but the ship has sailed.

Kids at dealers -I can say that the owner at Ferrari CF always greets my boys and offers the a soda or water. Whether it’s at the show room or an event. For us it is a family affair and they are an important part of the passion and the future. And every salesperson at FCF that I have seen greats the adults and the children by name of their customers. My boys behave because they are part of the dialogue and experience. Important life lessons.

A348W likes this.
  17. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    There are good and bad dealerships, and I feel fortunate to have a good one nearby with a couple of very excellent techs.

As far as the kids, I encourage the curious ones who are polite, but any grab ass around my car and I explain to them that the car is worth more than they are.

steved033 likes this.
  18. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Ohhh, I agree, if the punters are going to be rude, then they should be shown the door. What I meant is whether the dealer thinks you can afford it or not, he should treat you with respect, because although you might not buy one today, you might tomorrow!

Oh boy has it ever. Sat in a nice pub garden yesterday evening and the kids were ferule, which is fine to a point, but I did tell three of them off for ripping up flowers out of the beds and pulling tree branches off! Who knows where there parents are!!! We left early as we had enough of them.

19. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    Wow....just....wow. Hopefully the proprietor had some words for the parents, as he's lost revenue with you leaving early.

Seems that this thread made the July f-chat newsletter. Reading more replies, it seems that the dealer personnel working on a Saturday might be just as guilty of the bad behavior by not speaking up and putting a stop to it.

"My boys behave because they are part of the dialogue and experience." EXACTLY. Everyone should bring their children along to have experiences. Every experience is a chance to learn and grow and gain respect and integrity.

sjd

20. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

21. tertius33

tertius33 Rookie

May 2, 2008
    Yes,

I was fortunate to have a dad who worked in Manhattan and was in sales. My requests got me a 250 GT California Spyder brochure for Chinetti, as well as a BMW 507 (and 503!) brochure from Max Hoffman along with a personal letter hoping I would some day be a customer. The closet I got was a BMW 700, and a scale model of the 250.

tifoso2728 likes this.
  22. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2005
    Clifton, NJ
    Full Name:
    Oliver
    a dealership is not an art gallery and these are not rare irreplaceable possessions. If the kids were damaging the vehicles, fine, not acceptable. sitting in it and running around? who cares? I agree that parenting is a dying art, but to some extent, we have to let kids be kids.

23. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Remember the Dennis The Menace carton where the dad is shoving him out the door of the car dealership?

As he gets booted out he says over his shoulder “Fine! I’ll wait outside. But don’t blame me if you buy one with a horn that doesn’t work!”

davidoloan likes this.
  24. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    While not a ferrari dealership, I have seen a salesman at a toyato dealership, slam a notebook of aftermarket accessories onto the trunk of a car and slide it aeound as he fumbled through the pages. Mind you, the paint was covered in silica dust from the road construction going on out front.....road planing. You could hear the scratches being made in the new cars paint..... i just walked out shaking my head. I bet he had no idea why I left in the middle of our conversation.

When having my own new cars wheels recieve wheel locks, the flunky tech kneeled on my cenetrr cap and slid a nice gouge in it across the shop floor as he installed locks.

I do my own work, as far as I can these days.

25. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    Some dealers are good and some are bad. Doesn’t matter if they deal in a BMW or a Ferrari.

With that said, generally it’s the service branch where you can find the true colors of the dealer. That’s where the immoral ones will attempt to do something funny.