Dean on Saddam capture: "America is no safer" | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Dean on Saddam capture: "America is no safer"

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by ryalex, Dec 16, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

2. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    I don't understand these sentiments. First, you fault the U.S. for supporting him in the past (for which they deserve to be blamed.) Now that they've finally gotten it right, you fault them for that too: it is a "bid to tell the rest of the world how to live." Basically, in your eyes the U.S. can't do right regardless of the actions they take! I love these people who are critical no matter what. If we get involved, then we are being the world's police force. If we don't get involved then we are being insular and not using our wealth to do good in the world. Endless criticism has no authority when you never praise good actions, such as ousting a leader that you criticise us for supporting in the 80s - make up your mind! Not to mention the ridiculous suggestion in your phrase, "bid to tell the rest of the world how to live," which suggest, "Who are we to say that Saddam's regime is no good?" Clearly it was no good.

3. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

If GWB announced that the US had created a 100% guaranteed cure for cancer the worldwide left wing and the Democratic party would start complaining about the soon to be unemployed laboratory rats.

------------------

The Germans were our enemy....then our allies.....same for the Russians and the Japanese....all in the course of less than the 10 years it took between Saddam's relationship with the US to go from allie to enemy. The French were our allies at one time, now IMHO they are our enemy.

Geopolitical times change.

4. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Seems to me that Saddam was being held by some1. I think he became a has been as soon as Baghdad fell. He lost all his credibility & the US wiped out his top people. He is a Tiger that has been defanged & declawed. He was found in very pathetic circumstances, he looked like Howard Hughes near the end. I would have to agree that digging this pathectic has been out of a ditch doenst make me feel any safer.

Especially when Al Quaida troops are entering Iraq so they can kill US soldiers. I never saw the logic of war against Iraq when we had NK rattling the sabre & AQ has already killed 1,000s of US & foreigners. AQ was & is the much bigger threat.

Maybe SH really had WMD, I have no clue but I know that NK does posses them & AQ has killed Americans whereas SH hasnt killed Americans since the 1991 war & no firm facts on WMD

5. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    I think I made it quite clear that the United States has no business putting it's nose in any other countries business period. We create nothing but enemies as we currently occupy over 120 countries world wide with many more to come.

This insane interventionist foreign policy is supposed to be making us any friends? Think again.

We create one mess and then spend half a century cleaning it up at a cost of trillions of dollars and millions of innocent lives.

BHW

6. randall

randall Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Portsmouth, VA
    Full Name:
    Randall
    "The only difference between you, Mike, and I is we wear suits to work and you wear a uniform and you are duty bound to keep your mouth shut when voicing your opinion against, with or without distain, your superiors in such a public manner.

Until you prove what you are doing or have done to make a difference, how about leading the way and volunteer for a tour over there instead of suggesting how other people should act?"

First, we are only duty bound to not voice opinions while in uniform, or giving an official statement (like signing or saying " I am ETC Smith of the US Navy and I feel what is being done is wrong"). Second, I signed on in the field I'm in for two reasons, one is that it is the most intellectually challenging field I could find and the other is I wanted to be assigned to subs. I have been over in the gulf for 4 months and recieved imminent danger pay. I've spent a total of 18 months deployed. I've spent a total of 35 months at sea for training and missions. I have no complaints about that, my complaints are directed toward the people that want war, but won't serve and are able to. You people act like the only people that are involved are the ground troops. In one battle group you have almost 10,000 people. How about all the pilots that support? Many people on the ground would have gone into a more technical field if they could, but they couldn't so they just do what they can.

What you people remind me of is the guy at a football game that says "Somebody should go streaking across the field at halftime!". You don't want to do it, but you're willing to support that guy that will. You'll encourage him to go, and talk about how great it will be when he does it. But there's no way in hell that you'll do it yourself. You have too much to risk, so it's better for someone else to do.

7. ART360

ART360 Guest

I never could speel, and Rob won't give up a speel check.

Art

8. Dave Radu

Dave Radu Karting

Nov 20, 2003
    San Jose, Ca
    Full Name:
    Dave Radu

You are wrong about"none". Those of us that served and have been shot at as well as shooting back, usually do not talk about it. War is a ugly thing. We don't wear it as a badge of honor on our chest. So will your next post be: Served, shot at and killied in action?

I don;t mean any disrespect toword you. Just don't assume all the reading you do on this thread is from non-military uninformed people.
    Some of us have "been there done that"

Dave

9. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    All of you idiots who support the invasion of Iraq are operating under the assumption that Iraq actually posed a threat. This was NEVER the case and I am amazed that most Americans are dumb enough to swallow this SPIN.

Then there's the even more absurd SPIN that somehow Iraq was behind the September 11th attacks. Saddam never tolerated religious extremists. And he distanced himself from all terrorists. He did support the Palestinian cause like most Islamic states, but that's about it.

I bet you all think that killing 10,000+ innocent citizens is somehow a huge favour. Iraq never threatened the safety of the US before. Not once. Now you have stirred up a hornet's nest there and created at least 50,000 people more people who want to avenge their losses. Plus the original hornet's nest, Al Qaeda, it seems, is regrouping. You honestly think you are safer?

It's only a matter of time. Apart from the lucky or unpredictable or ingenious or resourceful or persistent Al Qaeda attacks you have to watch out for, now there are quite a few Iraqis who want to spill American blood. And you only have to blame yourselves, or this moronic, fear-mongering president of yours whom you seem to love rallying behind. Be sure to vote for him again.

You might also want to ask yourselves if you and your president are being manipulated by some other middle-Eastern country that claims to be an ally, but only has its own interests at heart, and needs its strongest enemies eliminated.

10. ART360

ART360 Guest

Dave:

I was close: you're the only one who responded yes to both questions.

Art

11. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    There's no room for an anti-semite on FChat, so take your anti-Israel bull and get lost.

12. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    As Dave said, not everyone here is uninformed, so don't assume it. Know what this is?

I'm through with this thread.

13. randall

randall Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Portsmouth, VA
    Full Name:
    Randall

How is this an anti-semite? There's no room for ultra-PC ******* either, so why don't you get lost?

14. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    You quoted my entire post for a stupid, hysterical one-sentence response? Wow, what a retard! And I am not going anywhere, unless you run this board. In which case, feel free to ban me.

15. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    SRT Mike, I like the way you write and present your points. But you are basing your reasoning on two incorrect premises.

One: Iraq was a threat.
    Never, not once. If anything is a threat to your existence, then of course you should preemptively destroy the threat. But Iraq considered the US an ally until the first Gulf War, and never, ever had the means to attack it. After the first Gulf War, its military capability was less than that of Honduras. Not a threat to anyone. And it never, ever tried to recruit terrorists to fight the US on its behalf. So why do all of you Americans keep harping on the non-fact that it was a threat and posed a real, credible, imminent danger. Where do you get this from? It's simply not true.

Two: Muslims hate everyone else and want to rule the world.
    Some extremists preach violent world domination. Some of them even have followers. But to say that all Muslims believe this is beyond ignorant.

16. rcallahan

rcallahan F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 15, 2002
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Bob Callahan
    Art,

I haven't been shot at (at least I don't think so) but I was bit on the arm at a Stones concert in Oakland by a crazed girl high on acid. Does that count :)

17. randall

randall Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Portsmouth, VA
    Full Name:
    Randall
    "So why do all of you Americans keep harping on the non-fact that it was a threat and posed a real, credible, imminent danger"

Not all americans feel this way. About 30% feel Iraq was never a threat to the american way of life. The other 70% watch Fox and understand that Iraq was on the verge of having intercontinental ballistic nukes and was gearing up to attack us.

18. Ontogenetik

Ontogenetik Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    zjpj

>What the hell are you talking about?

"Derrida" whispers - The basic question has not changed since Greek antiquity. If knowledge is expressed in a private language within each mind, how can it be shared, how can it be made public, and how can it be verified as being the same in different minds?

>Everyone would disagree that keeping a closer eye on Germany would have stopped WWII?
    >I can't think of anyone who wouldn't agree with that.

The pronoun I.

Are you suggesting Iraq = 1939 Germany?
    I do recall that US entitled the invasion of Iraq, Shock and Awe.

May care to keep a closer eye on that mirror that specializes
    in exporting misery.

>This is the second time you have posted this link on FChat.

Repetition teaches people that repetition teaches people

>Don't post it again.

Is that an order or a polite request?

>To begin with, it's absoltue rubbish

Prove it, in the absence circular gestures.

>The final paragraph is the clincher: "While lauding the capture of Mr. >Hussein, experts caution that the War on Terror is far from over, noting >that Osama bin Laden, James Baker and George W. Bush remain at large."

polite suggestion -> Luxury is attention.

19. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast

20. Ontogenetik

Ontogenetik Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Loneliness comes with the unity of brain function.
    Hope, with brain growth to wholeness in maturity.
    Love, with the most intense form of reaching to connect.
    Hate, with the desire to destroy that which threatens unity from outside.

21. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast

22. ART360

ART360 Guest

Bob:

Tell the truth: you bit her because she wouldn't give you any of the acid. And it wasn't the Stones, it was the Grateful Dead!

Art

23. ART360

ART360 Guest

Arguments with the current Israeli government don't equal anti-semitism. Period. I don't agree with Sharon, I think he's a war criminal. I lost an entire side of my family in the camps in WW2. I'm certainly not anti jewish, but very much against current Israeli policy. By the way, so are about 40 - 50% of the Jews in Israel. Cut the BS and deal with the issues.

Art

24. Ontogenetik

Ontogenetik Karting

Nov 2, 2003
  25. Dave Radu

Dave Radu Karting

Nov 20, 2003
    San Jose, Ca
    Full Name:
    Dave Radu
    zjpj

Your picture of the medal says it all(I'm humbled). I don't think many know what it is or what if stands for.

We really don't know what freedom is until we lose it. I DON'T PLAN ON LOSING IT.

I suppoort my president and my country. I make no excuses.

This is my last post to this thread.

Dave