Dear 458 & 997.2 GT3 RS owners | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Dear 458 & 997.2 GT3 RS owners

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by HairyAsHell, Mar 10, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ilko

ilko Karting

Aug 20, 2008
    To keep the conversation going, have you guys seen this?

:)

2. Kent Adams

Kent Adams Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 11, 2020
    #27 Kent Adams, Mar 17, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2023
    I always cringe when I hear the letter Z, pronounced as Zed. :mad:

3. axlesofevil

axlesofevil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Love this video. Unsure why they didn't put the 458 on the track though. Did the owner not want them to? Would the 458 lose too bady?

If I had the cash a 991.2 or 992 GT3 6sp would definitely be a stable mate with my 458. Both excellent cars.

4. ilko

ilko Karting

Aug 20, 2008
    458 was a dealer car. That's probably why they didn't take it to the track.

5. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    The rest of the English speaking world cringes when it is pronounces as Zee...

Gary Sandberg and Eatpies99 like this.
  6. axlesofevil

axlesofevil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    But it rhymes!

Q R S T U V
    W X Y (and) Z

7. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK

English alphabet (okay, Roman), English rules! By "English", I mean that it originated in England. :p

Eatpies99 likes this.
  8. Kent Adams

Kent Adams Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 11, 2020
    #33 Kent Adams, Mar 17, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2023
    How do you pronounce Zoo? Zeod?

Is zenith pronounced zedenith?

Zip is Zedip?

Zucchini is zedchini?

9. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK

You are deeply confused. The letter is called "zed". It is pronounces as "z" (not "zed", nor "zee").
    What is zucchini? Ah, you must mean courgette.

Eatpies99 likes this.
  10. HairyAsHell

HairyAsHell Rookie

Aug 4, 2022
    Full Name:
    Adeeb Md
    Speaking of Corvette...I did consider the new Z06 at one point when they first announced it. But it's funny how they used the 458 as the benchmark and yet, the 458 is still the better car over a decade later. Yes, the corvette is cheaper MSRP but its not a Ferrari. Not even close. Its a bigger/heavier car and a bit over-styled.

I'm really at a loss right now cuz I still remember playing NFS HP2 and always choosing the F50 just based on how it looks. A Ferrari always spoke to me on an emotional level. But being a driver, I've always enjoyed driving a manual over paddle shift. There's no getting around that. I mean, if there was a manual 458, there would be no question in my mind which one I'd get despite being the more expensive car to maintain (although I'd probably do my own fluid changes). But the reality is, Porsche are practical, reliable and makes some of the best manuals and the GT cars are where it's at. Not to mention the fact that Porsche is the only brand pushing for driver's cars and keeping the combustion engine alive with their synthetic fuel investments. Having said that, I was never really into the design of Porsche especially the 911. Only design that I did somewhat appreciate was the Cayman and that is also why a GT4RS is still on my radar as it would be the last Cayman with a NA engine. That intake sound is just insane. But sadly no manual. I did consider a 991.2 GT3 but at the price, I'd rather get the rarer 997.2 GT3 RS. A Gallardo 5.0 manual and/or a 360 was also something in my mind at one point.

I know I know... these are all not necessarily practical items and hence I should make my decisions based on what I feel in my heart. My heart says that I'd feel special every time I would take out a 458 but no matter what, but it would not give me the full driving experience that my heart desires which would be the 3 pedal experience. Whichever car I'd get, it would be for infrequent daily for running errands into town a couple of times a week with the rare track use. For me... if I was going to spend the money, the perfect car has to tick 3 boxes... sound, looks and 3 pedals.

11. Andy348

Andy348 Formula 3

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Andy
    What are your thoughts on a gated F430? With all the competition on the conversion front, you can easily buy an F430 + swap it for less than a 997.2 RS / 991.2 GT3

12. HairyAsHell

HairyAsHell Rookie

Aug 4, 2022
    Full Name:
    Adeeb Md
    It was also something in consideration but I prefer the front end of a 360. I've looked in the conversion possibilities as well but haven't found a place in the EU that would do such a conversion.

13. Pastaboy1980

Pastaboy1980 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2023
    Rolling Hills
    Full Name:
    Fra
    I had 2011 gt3 rs that i put 30k miles on as daily driver very fun car. I love my F8 as a short drive car, not good for road trips as the car is to delicate. My gt3rs was a tank the ferrari more of work of Art.

05F430F1 likes this.
  14. HairyAsHell

HairyAsHell Rookie

Aug 4, 2022
    Full Name:
    Adeeb Md
    was it the 3.8 GT3 RS?

15. DOWORKFCAR

DOWORKFCAR Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2016
    I agree with others stating get what you truly want and are comfortable with. A 458 and 997 GT3 are extremely different…I actually don’t find many things to compare. Last weekend I had the F430 and my buddy’s GT3 out. Both are amazing cars but extremely different. Try to drive both and see what you are looking for. If manual is must, you know your answer then. Be aware that the 997 GT3 trans is very engaging but notchy. Clutch is heavy but communicative. Both cars have their faults and will need maintenance to address. Research on Rennlist as well.

What would I choose? The 458. With a proper exhaust, it is a very exciting road car. But I’m a Ferrari guy who also enjoys Porsche. Maybe get both! (Cayman R and F430:p)

Enjoy the hunt!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

HairyAsHell, Pastaboy1980 and 430jm like this.
  16. 430jm

430jm Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2017
    Atlanta

17. bkniep

bkniep Karting

Dec 31, 2008
    St Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Bill Kniep
    I am fortunate to run an Aqua Blue 7.2 3RS and an NART Blue 458 Speciale. I can't speak exactly to the 458 Normale but I'll add my 2 cents. Both of them are in the exact sweet spot for their respective marques.

This particular RS (2010,2011) is, for me and many others, the absolute high point of 911 development. The perfect sweet spot of connection, size, speed, sound. Everything 991 and after may be faster, but the sense of challenge and connection in this generation is the best there is. The market reflects this and good 7.2s are now into the mid 300k range. a very low mileage Aqua/Red car just became the first of this generation outside the 4.0s to break $400k. EVO magazine called this exact car the greatest drivers car of all time! Tiny production numbers really help here. Fewer of these than Speciale, let alone the 458. I have seen Ferrari owners refer to Porsche 911s as Porsche Corollas (as opposed to Carreras), but I've never had a lot of patience for that attitude.

The Speciale finished second to the Porsche in that EVO article and there really isn't a speck of difference in the driving pleasure of the two. Porsche feels like the end of an era and the Ferrari the beginning. of a new one, as if they were a full generation apart. The Ferrari glides over bumps, the Porsche thumps. When you make this choice, you are really choosing how hard you want to work for your thrills. I don't enjoy the attention the Speciale gets as much as some do. But it is essentially the perfect supercar. Newer Ferraris are faster, but the Speciale is, for me the greatest modern Ferrari.

You pays your money, and takes your pick....

Finlander, HairyAsHell and Twosherpaz like this.
  18. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    After you get all your replies here go over to Rennlist.com and ask the same question on the 997 GT3 forum.

HairyAsHell and RoadRonin like this.
  19. Pastaboy1980

BANNED

Mar 31, 2023
    Rolling Hills
    Full Name:
    Fra
    yes red white 3.8

20. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    I have two 997.2 3RS and a Speciale and a 458CH. Since your question is base 458, I would not select that. The 997.2 3RS all day over a base 458.

The Speciale? Glad I don’t have to decide. End of the day I’d perhaps select the Speciale but I have two 3RS so then again, maybe not. Road feel in the ‘11 3RS is sublime. The Speciale perhaps I select the Pista to drive more often these days.

21. emmholla

emmholla Karting

Dec 15, 2018
    I'd base my decision on how much attention I care to deal with on a day to day basis. With the Ferrari putting around will be an event and illicit lots of attention. The Porsche not so much.

It is for this exact reason that I swapped my Lamborghini Huracan 610-4 for a 991.2 Turbo S. I can put around in the Turbo without anyone really batting an eye and that was the draw for me. I bring the 488 when I don't mind garnering some attention.

You can't go wrong either way. Make a decision soon and get to enjoying as we aren't getting any younger.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

HairyAsHell likes this.
  22. Pastaboy1980

BANNED

Mar 31, 2023
    Rolling Hills
    Full Name:
    Fra

The 3.8 is a great car, cost much more than a 458, now.

The gt3rs is nothing like a gt3, its a car thar gas perfect balance and steering feel like a skate board but slower straight

23. HairyAsHell

HairyAsHell Rookie

Aug 4, 2022
    Full Name:
    Adeeb Md
    Thanks for all the great responses people. I keep going back and forth between a 458, 997.2 3RS and a 991.2 (which was actually suggested by the people at Rennlist) due to its daily usability compared to the 3RS. Now I just need to test drive them all to see which speaks to me

24. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    I have a 458 and just sold my GT3 992 manual. I loved the GT3 and here's the but.......it was really more of a track car. Precise steering and a lot of punch were its positives. A little too rough riding for normal daily driving IMHO. The 458, on the other hand, is just an exciting drive every time you get behind the wheel. The perfect balance of horsepower joined with a dual clutch transmission that feels engaging like a manual without the fuss. I did replace the GT3 with a Porsche 911 (991.1) manual which is so much more suitable for the daily drives. No regrets.