Debt in Dubai | FerrariChat

Debt in Dubai

Discussion in 'Middle East' started by mattymouse33, Jun 23, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mattymouse33

mattymouse33 F1 Rookie

Oct 25, 2004
    We'll set aboot ye!
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Hi all,

Last night i was arranging flights to Asia via Dubai for my fiancee and others and i found out that there is a possible outstanding debt from 5 years ago in Hire Purchase Agreements of around £3000 relating to some music equipment. It unfortunately arose as my fiancee bought her bum of an ex-boyfriend certain things, they split up and he never paid off the bills that he agreed he would, she returned to the UK and he followed 3 months later, having sold the equipment to pay off his outstanding rent.

I have to add that she was an air hostess and based there.

Can anyone tell me what the implications could be? Is it that small a debt, it would just be wiped off or would they raise actions and pursue? She hasnt heard anything of it since but then again she hasnt been back to Dubai.

Sad and stupid situation to be in but the ex who ive met, well he's an idiot and she regrets all of this obviously.

Thanks for the help,

M

2. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    First, debt, in any Arab country is considered very, very serious.

I know, for a fact, that in Kuwait, even if you are just passing through with connecting flights, there is a huge likelihood she will be detained by the police, and held until the debt is satisfied and any sentence rendered 'in absentia' served.

This is not something you want to mess around with. She's on the hook for it, and if she steps foot in Dubai, even at the airport, will likely have to pay her debt off completely, plus any penalties, plus interest, and perhaps go to jail.

Mike

3. BANANA

BANANA Formula Junior

Apr 21, 2007
    #3 BANANA, Jun 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
    She will be arrested (but I do not think she will spend the night in jail) and have her passport confiscated and will have to pay the debt before she gets her passport back.

My advice is either avoid Dubai or be ready to pay off the debt, face some hassle and miss your connecting flight.

Regards,

BANANA

4. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    +1

5. marky1

marky1 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Go Via somewhere else. You would be mad to even risk it.

6. crcs

crcs Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 18, 2009
    Burlington Ontario
    You should also think hard about entering a marriage with her.