Decat/100CELL/200CELL for F8 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Decat/100CELL/200CELL for F8

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by bluesunday, Mar 25, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bluesunday

bluesunday Karting

Oct 10, 2020
    Dubai, United Arab Emirates
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I can confirm I have no CEL issues whatsoever after installing my exhaust on Tuesday. With Novitec Techtronic OBD module. Did over 600km so far, travelling between different cities and hit 1/4 mile contest where I did few runs, no CEL.

The smell is almost unnoticeable to me, I kinda like it. Was afraid it's going to be a nightmare. Unless I am in a traffic and have windows rolled down, I won't even notice. My wife has no objections, even though she's usually quite sensitive to all the extraneous smell coming out of the car.

I am going to post an update soon with some videos

2. nickbains26

nickbains26 Rookie

May 16, 2019
    Bay Area, CA
    How’s the exhaust been so far? I’m also debating going catless or with sports cats. Since you didn’t tune the car, did you notice any power loss in the low end?

3. Mayed1113

Mayed1113 Rookie

Dec 10, 2021
    Full Name:
    Majed
    Guys,
    I installed Novitec exhaust with valve regulator... Now I regret to have the valve as the exhaust sounds not that much loud anyway.. Now I was thinking to go louder with cat delete, but I'm afraid from smell... I really hate these smells... Can you advise how bad is the smell?

The other option Novitec sport cat with 100 cell.. Did anyone installed this?
    How is the sound and smell for 100 cell novitec?

4. cpiguy

cpiguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2007
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Arnie Friedman
    I just installed the same system with 200 cel cats. Smells not an issue.

5. Mayed1113

Mayed1113 Rookie

Dec 10, 2021
    Full Name:
    Majed
    200 cell novitec or other brand?
    I believe novitec got only power cat with 100 cell only

6. Snaponjackson

Snaponjackson Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 19, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS INDIANA USA
    Full Name:
    Chris Jackson
    I am not really sure why. I did it this way but I have Novitec flap regulated mufflers with Fabspeed 100 cell cats. I have the tectronic yet I still get check engine lights but they come and go. I also sometimes get a cat overheating warning. Also comes and goes at random. I love the sound of the car but would like it to be a little louder. I am thinking if I switch to catless pipes. It will be a little louder and fix the cel problem. Any thoughts on this one?

7. Tomnguyen

Tomnguyen Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 7, 2016
    OR

Thats wired, I never got the check engine light since I installed my nor over heat during summer run at all. Maybe because I did the cat-less cel tho

8. Spar7

Spar7 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2008
    SGP
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I went with Novitec valved system, 200 cell cats, their valve controller ( so i can keep it open or closed when I’m creeping back home ) and the obd techtronic to get rid of CEL if any ( haven’t popped up for me and i would like to keep it that way )

Volume wise pretty decent not as loud as my Lambo though. Definitely much better than stock. BUT im more interested in a deeper tone am thinking of keeping the same set up but swapping the muffler for the Tubi, only seen the same 1 video on YouTube.

Anyone else here running Tubi?

Ivan Drago likes this.
  9. Ivan Drago

Ivan Drago Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2021
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Ivan Drago
    Any videos of your system?

Cigarzman likes this.
  10. goachild2000

goachild2000 Karting
    BANNED

Jul 20, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Shardul Mehta
    You all do realize that the OBD2 unit just clears the CEL in milliseconds when it is triggered. This also clear all the adaptions in the system so most likely the emission monitors will show not ready all the time.

11. 05F430F1

05F430F1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2005
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Don't those OBD2 things just clear the light so you don't see it?? I mean, it doesn't fix the problem, the car is still not working properly right? It still has mechanical and/or electrical issues but the scanner thing just turns off the lights so you don't know it. Kind of like sweeping the dirt under the rug. The car is still being damaged by the exhaust change right? Backpressure, temperatures, fuel mixtures, condensation, valves, carbon build up, ECU, GPF and catalytic converter clogging or lean etc.... aren't all those type of things just out of whack when you change from factory set up and the little scanner thingy just turns off the lights so you can ignore them? I probably sound like an idiot but I just can't make logical sense out of a thing that turns off CELs just to hide problems.

mdrums and AD211 like this.
  12. todd cloud

todd cloud Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Todd
    this is correct

13. 05F430F1

05F430F1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2005
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Oh wow, it is? Even an idiot can be correct sometimes, apparently.

I DO REALLY want to do something my F8 exhaust and I’ve seen two things that interest me on here. One was a list of like 4 specific parts from Novitec that supposedly work without issue whereas any other combination doesn’t and the other was a recent post about a valve controller that keeps the stock valves open without issue but they haven’t tested on an F8 yet— I’m still waiting for the day when there is a definitive option that runs perfectly without issues and sounds amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

14. Ivan Drago

Jul 14, 2021
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Ivan Drago
    Not this ****ing conversation again

250boano likes this.
  15. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Banned conversations going forward:
    458 vs 488
    Voided warranties
    Sound vs looks
    Tracking time differences under 1 min
    Exhaust mod scare tactics
    OEM battery failures
    Others?

mdrums likes this.
  16. Ivan Drago

Jul 14, 2021
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Ivan Drago
    Every account is allowed to ask, but you can't keep asking every month if you aren't going to make a decision.

TADD = Todds Against Decatted Driving

AD211 likes this.
  17. Ivan Drago

Jul 14, 2021
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Ivan Drago
  18. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    wish f8 had the 488 exhaust set up,having a gpf on the f8 was very disapointing wonder how long that part last too

MANDALAY and mdrums like this.
  19. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Yep that’s is the issue 100%.

488 for the win! ;):D

MANDALAY and AD211 like this.
  20. 250boano

250boano Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2022
    Europe
    Full Name:
    DD
    I know dozens of F8s with Novitec systems on them. They run fine, they don't "damage" the car.
    Everything is reversible, the cars do not break.

Get 100-cell.
    Decat is too loud and gives backpressure warning error lights which flag a CEL and aren't cleared by the Tectronic.
    200-cell is too quiet.

Life is too short. Do what you want. They sound AMAZING with an exhaust, I don't know a single person who regretted it, but I know lots of Todds who are missing out on a buttload of fun.

05F430F1 and Ivan Drago like this.
  21. 05F430F1

05F430F1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2005
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Honestly, I don’t even know what 100 or 200 cell means, don’t know where to get it done, don’t know how much it even costs, don’t know what’s involved with removal of a whole rear bumper etc to put it in, don’t know what electronic gadgets need to be installed along with the exhaust pipes; really don’t know anything but I often think it would be nice if it sounded louder— but I DONT WANT that crackling and popping type exhaust like my AMG GTC was— was fine for that car but Ferrari should be a smooth, high pitched, high tech F1 scream sound like my F430’s were or better.

22. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Cells in a catalytic converter (cat) are a honeycomb looking structure made usually of platinum, pladium and rhodium. The honeycomb looking cells are counted as 400 cells per sq inch. So a cat with 100 cells is more open allowing more exhaust to flow through. Stock oem cats are usually 400 cells. When you put a low cell count cat on the sensor down exhaust stream picks up more exhaust gasses and triggers a check engine light.

Remember an engine is an air pump… so when you increase air flow past what the cars ECU can adjust the air to fuel ratio you need a tune to basically fix that issue. More air less fuel is called lean and at a point you will burn up a piston. Fuel not only ignites the spark with the incoming air but also cools.

The loud pops crackles you hear on “tuned” cars is mostly because the tuner has dumped some raw fuel ..basically delayed fuel cut off when the throttle is closed and that fuel ignited going into the hot exhaust because it was not fully burned in the engines cylinder. For some reason people think this sounds good. I don’t get it either. You hardly hear this popcorn machine sound on properly tuned race cars.

05F430F1 and AD211 like this.
  23. 05F430F1

05F430F1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2005
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Thanks Mike, that was awesome.

24. 250boano

250boano Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2022
    Europe
    Full Name:
    DD
    here you go man - that shows install of the rear silencer.

also this - that shows you downpipes on a 488, almost identical to F8.

this pic is a good example of standard vs sport cat internals:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

05F430F1 likes this.