Defrauded by private party seller. Seeking attorney in the SoCal area. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Defrauded by private party seller. Seeking attorney in the SoCal area.

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by zakiu, Mar 17, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Used cars - the worst commodity to buy or sell. Someone always feels upset somewhere down the line.

This guy just sounds butt hurt, maybe the radio doesn't get the oldies channel or something?

By the way, outright accusing someone of fraud in written form - in the U.K. I'm pretty certain that itself is slanderous, and could be prosecuted in court, so this privacy bs is exactly that, BS

2. zakiu

zakiu Rookie

Jul 31, 2016
    #27 zakiu, Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    There is no BS here. I am seeking an attorney and providing minimal background information that is quite obvious. Are you providing an attorney, or are you just trying to harass / troll? I have received support from other members and do not welcome your hostility or demands.

I tried but he refused to be transparent and has gone into hiding.

3. Julian Thompson

Julian Thompson Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 25, 2016
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Julian Thompson
    I'm very sorry to hear this. Good luck resolving your problems I really hope it can be fixed outside of the legal system because from my limited experience of it normally the only real winners end up as the lawyers themselves - everyone else seems to end up out of pocket and bruised by the experience.

4. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I understand that the seller hasn't provided the title in spite of his ad which stated he had a "Clean New York State title in hand." Certainly that is an issue of concern. I would think that would be Fedex'd to you well before the car even arriving.

Also, apparently the car was not as described. I am curious what would it cost you to make the car conform to what you expected?

5. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Once you involve attorneys, that's to be expected.

6. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    And made several public accusations. I wouldn't talk to someone either after that. This is going to get expensive.

7. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    Seems like the original poster just was asking for a legal referral. Not sure why that sound cause a storm.

It would be nice if more information was provided about the failure in paper work and condition though.

8. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Really, the responses here are surprising to you?

Its because it was for a transaction that was started on F-chat classifieds and between two f-chatters (thus one is being accused by the OP). It certainly adds to it that the OP has made negative assertions on a long-time member in three threads. I actually think the response has been measured by f-chatters.

9. zakiu

zakiu Rookie

Jul 31, 2016
    Such language! I don't know what to tell you other than that I think you're exceptionally rude.

To be honest, I've probably been using online forums since before you knew what an online forum was. Circa 1994 or earlier via BBS. Judging a book by its cover is very rude behavior, especially from a supposedly sophisticated group such as fchat, especially knowing as little as they know about the actual facts of the scenario. Lots of unwarranted assumptions, accusations, and finger pointing and not a whole lot of fact-checking.

This is not a thread about a car for sale, nor is it a discussion thread of any characters / parties in question. It is a thread that is simply looking for an appropriate attorney who is local and experienced. Simple stuff! Please stay on topic.

10. GLS12

GLS12 Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2011
    Occupied VA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Not clear what facts folks are supposed to have checked when all that appears to have happened is an accusation was made without any specifics. But maybe I missed something...

11. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Very interested to see if this is truly a CEL issue as mentioned in the other thread. If it is:

1.It's stupid, a waste of time, and the seller would save himself a ton of trouble by just paying for the correction rather than fooling around with a sue-happy sap with no knowledge of cars and decided to post a non-specific accusation. FYI, I'm sure anything posted here could be used if this actually finds it way int a lawsuit.

2. The buyer doesn't sound like someone who should be owning an exotic car if a CEL causes this kind of reaction. What happens when this thing needs a $3k+ standard service? Someone else's fault because they didn't tell him how much it would be?

3. It's still stupid.

12. Zakiu-is-A-Tool

BANNED

Mar 20, 2017
    Just wanted to stop by solely to say, you sound like a real tool! I bet you spend most of your life complaining and feel like everyine is out to get you. Making serious accusations all over a public forum, without providing any basis or facts, is in the poorest form possible. Despite your phony baloney indignation, regardless of what the facts are, you are a tool and I hope ypu get exactly what you deserve. Enough said.

13. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Buying a used Ferrari is like winning the lottery----

----in reverse. :)

14. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I agree.

How about starting here-

15. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming

Them's some impressive bonafides!

We are so lucky to have you here to tell all of us how to behave. You are adding so much to our forum. Please do continue to tell us what is, and is not, acceptable as the Al Gore of forums.

16. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

#41 348SStb, Mar 20, 2017
    "Takes time to get the title?" "Months?"

From a private buyer?

This is nuts.

I have bought dozens of cars from private parties out of state. I always receive the title day after funds have been cleared. No ifs, ands, or buts. Sometimes I'm present to collect the title myself in advance of the car's shipment. The Buyer owns the title the moment he hands over the dough.

1) Buyer requests in writing (via email) for copy, front and back, of title
    2) Seller sends said copy
    3) Buyer states in writing (via email) the terms of the deal, which require that the title be sent via overnight carrier with tracking number the same day on which funds have been cleared
    4) Seller agrees and states this in writing
    5) The same agreements are delineated in Bill of Sale
    6) Buyer receives signed and notarized original Bill of Sale before sending funds. This is the Buyer's protection
    7) Buyer sends funds
    8) Buyer receives title the next day

Period end of story. It doesn't take months to receive a title from a private buyer.

If we are talking about a lien with a lien release, Seller is responsible to have the lien released with his own funds, borrowed or otherwise - not with the funds of the Seller. Lien should be released in advance. If the Buyer relies on the good faith of the Seller to properly execute lien release, he takes a significant risk, which he is entitled to do. The risk is assessed by the Buyer through his judgment and experience.

Original poster:

Good luck in this ordeal. I hope it will not taint the enjoyment you imagined when you decided to take the plunge and become an F-car owner.

17. Kaivball

Kaivball Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
    Where is my pop-corn when you need it...

Kai

18. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

This is a very smart post. Good job. If people could focus on the topic at hand and refrain from changing the subject or introducing irrelevancies or conjecture, the world sure would be a better place.

19. Kaivball

Kaivball Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
    Accusing another Fchat member publicly of fraud is hardly irrelevant.

And then claiming privacy rights is a non-sequitor.

Kai

20. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

#45 348SStb, Mar 20, 2017
    Wrong. He didn't accuse anyone here on this thread. And he didn't claim privacy rights. Your analysis is a non-sequitur (check your spelling). He stated smartly that he is not going to confirm or deny information in advance of a potential legal matter, which is just about perfectly wise - and quite considerate. That doesn't have anything to do with his rights. His rights are not under attack.

He asked for an attorney reference. Plain and simple. What color underwear he is wearing, or did wear, here or in another place past or present, is wholly irrelevant to this thread.

The original poster has been bullied. I do not join in the bullying.

21. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    The apparent failure of the seller to produce the title is the odd part, particular since ad clearly states that "Clean New York State title in hand". Is withholding the title in response to the accusations of fraud/misrepresentation?

22. stevenwk

stevenwk F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Steve
    They can help if you fail to get a response on this forum.

www.calbar.org

left side of page to referral services.

23. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H

Steve, that won't help. Apart from the nasty accusations, this whole thread is a waste of time. Zakiu bought the car in NY from a NY seller. He has to get a NY lawyer to sue in NY. Good luck with that! California lawyers are irrelevant (thank God!)

24. zakiu

zakiu Rookie

Jul 31, 2016
    #49 zakiu, Mar 20, 2017
    My briefs are orange. Sorry to everyone in advance that they are not fly yellow or rosso corsa! 348SStb, your posts are appreciated.

Thanks, I really appreciate it!

I am glad you came to this conclusion. Please save your time and stay out of it.

25. stevenwk

stevenwk F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Steve
    OP was merely asking for a referral for a lawyer in the LA area with knowledge of Ferrari culture, fraud, etc.

That's what I provided if no one chimes in.

Whether or not one sues in one jurisdiction or another, or can, is a different question.

I am not providing the OP with any advice on civ pro or rules of venue.

Thanks.