Degreeing cams | Page 11 | FerrariChat

Degreeing cams

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by fatbillybob, May 2, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    A poor substitute for proper timing methodology.

Measuring max lift and hoping it is the lobe center when the factory method (lift at overlap) is actually easier. I forgot, those guys in Maranello are idiots and have no idea what they are doing so their method should just be ignored.

Some dips##t do it yourselfer always knows better.

2. Robbe

Robbe Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2013
    The Netherlands
    103 degrees inlet lobe centreline is calculated as follows:
    Inlet opening at 16 BTDC (WSM info)
    Inlet Closing at 42 ABDC (WSM info)
    difference TDC and BDC =180 (duh)
    So total duration is 16 + 42 + 180 =238
    Middle is half of the duration, so 238/2=119
    As Inlet opening it is noted in degrees BTDC, and the middle is ATDC , we want to know in ATDC degrees, so we have to distract 16.
    119 - 16 = 103 ATDC
    Same method for lobe centre line exhaust.

3. Robbe

Robbe Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2013
    The Netherlands
    You are crossing a line here, a pity.
    I have never said that the centre lobe method is better than the valve lift method. As frankly I have no clue if that is so. I know what the WSM says, and of course Ferrari is right that the valve lift method is correct. But do they say that any other method is for d*psh*ts? No sir.
    I appreciate your time and help, but name calling is not really helping.

Foxie likes this.
  4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I wasn't talking about you.

Whoever told you to do it that way was off base.

If you had read the book and done it their way it would have been done long ago. There exists no reason not to have done so.

Instead you chose to reinvent the wheel and by happenstance only you have not bent some valves......hopefully.

5. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Robbe, measure valve lift per the WSM - it's really that simple. Be sure when you measure the lifter that the indicator is dead nuts parallel to the lifter axis.

6. Robbe

Robbe Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2013
    The Netherlands
    Ok, will do that tomorrow as you all keep saying that, so I better listen. I had very little time this evening, so I just checked it by the simple centre lobe method to see in what ballpark it is.
    The marks are 26 degrees off on the cam, and the position of the centre lobe line was off 27 degrees . I did not have time to check it a few times, but it strenghtens me in the theory that my cam on the 1-4 is indeed some 26 - 27 degrees off.
    To be continued tomorrow , work then done totally by the book (WSM)

7. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I hope you are not slapping valves into the pistons as you rotate the crank...

8. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    #258 fatbillybob, Oct 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Robbe,

I wrote this thread as part of a companion thread “setting up cams”, iirc. There are several ways to find TDC and several ways to degree cams. There is no best method anymore than there is a best pizza.

Here is what we know as fact. If you setup cams to the marks your car will run just fine with no damage assuming it is an unmolested OEM Ferrari motor. That goes for 100% of Ferrari motors. Don’t confuse yourself with all the other noise. This fact is undisputable and while you do your timing functions you should be keenly aware of the proximity of these marks. If something is way off you are wrong.

Choose a TDC method. There are reasons for using a piston stop. There are reasons for using a dial gauge. There are reasons for using the highest lift of the dial gauge with crank in the driven direction as “TDC”. Consistency is more important than method.

Chose a timing method. In this example I wrote years ago there were reasons for choosing the verification method I choose which works for 348’s as pictured. There is no disputing that and you can see that at TDC the marks are close if not dead on. This is not the only way to time a 348 motor.

I play with more V-12’s now. The 550 maranello could be done in a similar way but the 550 WSM tells you to do it differently than the 348WSM. It took me quite some time to figure out the bad translation from Italian to English in the 550WSM. It is the Ferrari way and I do it that way on 550’s. But I always verify my proximity to assembly marks as I work. Those are critical reference points. They keep me from doing something stupid.

The 355 is a special beast. Cam timing vs. just cam set up is important with this model because of all the issues with headers, valve, guides, burning up cats, mixture control issues and all the issues that make the 355 what it is. There are a lot of consumer acceptable Ferraris set up on assembly marks and called good. The 355 should not be one of those.

It seems to me you are confusing yourself. I am confused by what you are doing and what you are seeing because I'm not there. Keep the assembly marks clearly in focus relative to TDC as you work and it will reduce your confusion. Go back and read my thread on "setting up cams". You might understand more about what you are supposed to see like all 4 cams lining up with all 4 cam caps and crankshaft at TDC. Last tip is about pulling the cog pins as needed. I used to use a tool to pry the pin out then reindex. It was sort of a pain. For the last few years I have been using this delrin faced USAG mallet. A gentle tap on a cam lobe fore or aft will position the cam shaft very slightly so the pin can be pulled with just your fingers. A gentle tap will also aid in reindexing on the cog hole you want.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Robbe

Robbe Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2013
    The Netherlands
    #259 Robbe, Oct 15, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
    Fatbillybob and the others that have contributed,
    thank you for taking the time to help.
    I will take the 355WSM and do it all over again, hopefully already tonight. Will double check those results by using the other methods as well. Should give nearly the same readings, otherwise I will have to start over. But I do not expect that as I have consistent readings sofar.
    By the way, the engine is still on its old belts, I am only checking if it needs degreeing.
    As it ran before I pulled the engine, I am sure that the valves are not hitting the pistons...
    Before I take the old belts off to degree any cam, I must be 100% sure what is wrong, me or the car. And just setting up to factory marks is always a possibility, but indeed it is better to properly degree them, as the factory did.
    Thanks for the delrin mallet suggestion, will try to buy one over here.

In the mean time, could someone please try to answer this question: When one cambelt has jumped a tooth and the other has not, would a 355 still run more or less normal? (on some cars you do not even really notice it (some loss in power), on others they run like sh*t.)
    As that would explain this whole thing with misaligned marks only on bank 1-4, but not on 5-8 (as those are perfectly aligned when you look at the Assemblers marks on the REAR of the cam, just checked)
    If I was not able to decently find TDC on nr 1, then the markings wouldn't have lined up perfectly on 5-8...

10. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    No, it will run like **** and a slowdown light will eventually come on when that bank will be shut down and you can barely drive up the flatbed tow truck.

11. Robbe

Robbe Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2013
    The Netherlands
    #261 Robbe, Oct 16, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
    Ok, went to work yesterday. I printed out the WSM parts that describe the valve lift technique.
    As I read that on the rear of the cams there are Assemblers marks stamped into it, and on my right bank the exhaust cam lines up 100%, I best try it first here.
    Connected the dial indicator to the bucket, set dial to 0 and turned CW till I got 2.41 mm lift. Degree wheel shows 1 degree. Should be TDC, but close enough. Great!
    To verify I used the lobe centreline method, and that came off 2 degrees. Also close enough I think, as that method is less precise. So bank 5-8 intake is ok.
    Then the exhaust. To be honest, I did not completely understand the WSM on that, should it be lift or remaining lift? As it has to be on a closing action, and then you can only positively measure remaining lift when started at 0. Never mind, the centre lobe method also showed 2degrees off, and this cam has 100% lined up markings on the rear.
    So no worries here.
    Now I know that my TDC findings are correct, time to turn to the troublesome bank of nr 1-4.
    Rear marks do not line up, front marks do not line up. So what is the result with the valve lift method on the intake cam: Instead of seeing TDC on the degree wheel at 2.41 mm lift, I see that it is 16 degrees off (compared to TDC). Ok, so it is off, but that is not that much as I feared.
    Centre lobe method, now it is 28 degrees off. Hmmm.
    Ok, tonight do the 1-4 all over again until I get consistent readings on 1-4. Consistent readings off that is...
    My conclusion sofar is that as I get factory spec results on bank 5-8, my methods and routine are most likely correct. And if that is so, the 1-4 bank is not near factory spec and should be corrected. A lot. To be continued.
    To moderators, I can imagine that this is polluting an excellent posting, my apologies, maybe you can split it into a new thread?

12. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Just keep one thing in mind: The lifter travel does not equal valve travel. The lifter will stoke some amount until going solid, which at that point it will start to move the valve.

13. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Let's not confuse the issue. This has noting to do with setting the timing. Timing is based on, as per the WSM, movement of the lifter (bucket, tappet, or what ever other name you choose to call it).

14. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    Ok a simple question, when you are at TDC for #1, where are your cam assembly marks for all 4 cams? Sorry if u have already posted this but I couldn't find it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    Remember Im not a pro. One other simple thing to remember, turning the motor anti clockwise is ok when finding TDC (piston rise). Because of tensioniers and slack that is taken up with backward rotation of engine, it's not ok to spin the motor backwards when aligning cam marks, unless you overshoot the marks anti clockwise (I use at least 90degrees. No data on this, just me), then proceed clockwise again to your target. Also I personally always check and re-check cam timing without any anti clockwise engine rotation, after a couple of full clockwise rotations. Remember Im not a pro.

16. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    All four cams will be lined up with the first cam cap notches with #1 at TDC.

17. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Robbe,

It seems like you are starting to understand what is happening with Ferrari's cryptic methodology evidenced by your ability to be very close on 5/8. It is not inconceivable that 1/4 be way off. The front assembly marks should be very close to the desired cam spec. The rear marks were put in at the factory after factory timing procedures were done. The rear marks are inconsistently placed from what I hear. IMO it is impossible due to parallax errors and the precision afforded by the cam cog vernier and bucket lift timing method to rely on the rear marks despite being more precise than the assembly marks. I have posted about that in this thread on earlier pages. It might be more possible on a 355 because the engine comes out for direct line of sight vision. On a 550 it is impossible. You can repin 2 cog holes away and not see the marks move. Still it is easy enough to go through the timing procedure since it is a fraction of the time it takes to pull the motor anyway. As a test I would pull the 1/4 cog pin and dial it close to the assembly marks. Hand rotate the engine to ensure no bad contacts. Bucket lift time again and see if you are now very close to target timing. I bet that you will be very close. If that works then just pull old belts and tensioner and reassemble and time the motor and you will be done.

Interesting sidenote is if your 355 can run being 16* off. I don't know. I have never seen one that bad but i don't verify timing before dis-assembly. I have had arguments before with 355'ers. I think there are a lot of poorly running 355's but the car is so strong owners get fooled despite some with failing guides, holes in headers, and assembly marked timing. I think a minority of people really know how great a 355 can run. It would have been interesting to know what smog numbers the car was blowing before and after too. I'm hoping that with corrected timing that your 355 runs like a different car to you. Report back here when you are back on the road and let us know.

18. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    That's my point. Is this in fact true for him? If so then both banks should be close and he couldn't have things as muffed up as he thinks (assuming the original assembly was correct whichnis a whole other can of worms).

19. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    FBB - I know you are very experienced and you can, and have degreed circles around me, but I had this problem with my 360 with those rear marks. I thought they may not have even been there. Despite cameras, and lights I couldn't see those freekin marks. The cam cap had a easily visible ~1mm thick mark, and the cams themselves had a scribed mark the thickness of a hair that I couldn't see because line of sight was obstructed. I ended up taking impressions of the marks with my kids play dough. Worked fantastic, and I was able to get a great look at it from the impression. I was even able to save the original positions, and compare them to those after I was done degreeing by saving my play dough impressions.

20. Robbe

Robbe Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2013
    The Netherlands
    Ok, last posting for now. Things are going well. (will report further once engine is back running in the car)
    I checked and rechecked by all 3 methods , how far off both LH cams were, and it was 22-24 degrees. And as said the marks did not line up on this bank, not on the front, not on the back, on also some yellow paint on the cam pulleys did not line up. Looked like 2 to 3 teeth off.
    So I loosened the tensioner, removed the old belt, turned the exhaust cam the one way and the inlet the other, et voila, all markings were in line on all fronts (while at TDC of course)
    Time to verify then. Inlet valve lift at TDC is 2.43, or at 2.41 it is 1 degree off. Lobe centre line was 105 instead of 103, so close enough for now.
    Exhaust cam , same story, 107 instead of 110, so only 3 degrees off. Much better!
    All markings on the whole engine line up now, and all checks are ok in all sorts of ways.
    I am convinced that I have rectified someone's previous service mistake with this
    The only thing I now have to do is effectively degree the cams once the new belts are on.

Tried already to loosen the cam pulley bolts, but these are really stuck, and can't get them loose, not with heat and an air gun. Any ideas? Like it is rightey loosey instead of leftey loosey?

21. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Impact wrench. You should have removed the cams, put them in a vise, and used impact wrench to loosen the bolts before you install them back,

22. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    #272 fatbillybob, Oct 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Sounds like you are progressing well Yeah!!

Lefty Loosy works. 2 ideas one people hate but have been doing for 35 years. Put matchbook covers under the cam journal caps hand tight to prevent journal cap damage will hold cams without damage so you can remove cam cog bolts. It is also how I torque that bolt keeping stress off the belts after my timing procedure is done. Pictures might be in this thread or the companion thread. Some people will just airgun the bolt home but I like to know I torqued it properly. Some will torque against the belts and be just fine. A Promechanic said that here on the Fchat pages but I can't remember who or where you will find that reference. I'm chicken and will continue to pin the shafts. Second you can remove the shaft and hold it wrapped up with some rubber pads in a vice and torque the bolts off. Use NO heat on camshafts!!! When you replace the shaft O rings do NOT use RTV. The shafts have oil in them and you don't want the RTV to end up fouling oil returns etc. Here is a nice mess from the last professional mechanic.

23. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    I took the cams out, rapped an old belt around the cog and my hand and used an impact wrench.

They loosened right up.

24. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    That works too. You can put the old belt in the vise which is around the cog. Hold the tail of the shaft for support and blast the nut off. I forgot about that way.

25. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    If you break a cam cap - game over. Time for a new head. I would not suggest putting anything under the caps. Use cam locks to lock both together then they cannot rotate. Problem solved.