Degreeing cams | Page 15 | FerrariChat

Degreeing cams

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by fatbillybob, May 2, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Foxie

Foxie Karting

Oct 9, 2011
    Wexford, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Sean Murray
    Got ya covered !

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Nino1964

Nino1964 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2015
    North Georgia
    I definitely recommend replacing the stock cam pulleys with a nice updated version. The oem dowel type pulleys were difficult for me to use. I purchased a very nice pulley set from Dino parts Germany. I also purchased their ignition system. The ignition system purchase was a huge upgrade to drivability and performance.

Foxie likes this.
  3. Foxie

Foxie Karting

Oct 9, 2011
    Wexford, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Sean Murray
    Yes, I got mine from Superperformance. Very well made and drilled all round for dowels, just like the cams (Catcams ) they also supplied, and threaded dowels.

Nino1964 likes this.
  4. Foxie

Foxie Karting

Oct 9, 2011
    Wexford, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Sean Murray
    Well all the cylinder head repairs are complete on my '78 GTS, and the block/gearbox are all assembled, with a new bearings and a set of hi-comp pistons. I've checked the TDC marks for both banks, and they are marked exactly correct. So now I'm ready to refit the heads and time the cams.

On all I've read here it seems the alignment marks on the cams are used to initially set them up in a ball park position, and then the dial gauge and degree wheel used to get the adjustment exactly correct.

My problem is the new set of Catcam hi-lift cams do not have any alignment marks. They do have wrenching flats. I could check the front lobe max lift position with a dial gauge, and mark this on the cams.

I have 40 years experience setting up Lotus -Ford Twincams, where to get into the ball-park the crank is set at TDC, and the cams are fitted with the inlet & exhaust lobes on No. 1 cylinder pointing out, and then fine adjusted with the dial gauge and degree wheel.

Because the 308 has the cams sets are 90 degs apart, I was thinking of fitting one head first and getting this adjusted. Then I could set the second bank at TDC and fit the second head/cams and then get these right.

What do people think ?

5. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    You don't have your old cams to look at so you could put approximate assembly marks on your new cams in about the same places?

Foxie and flash32 like this.
  6. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Like Steve says, look at the old cams and mark the new ones in approximate positions... good enough to start with.

Foxie and flash32 like this.
  7. Foxie

Foxie Karting

Oct 9, 2011
    Wexford, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Sean Murray
    That's good thinking !

Am I correct in thinking ALL 4 cam marks should be lined up when No. 1 cylinder is on TDC compression, not just the rear bank ?

8. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    All four.

Foxie likes this.
  9. Foxie

Foxie Karting

Oct 9, 2011
    Wexford, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Sean Murray
  10. Foxie

Foxie Karting

Oct 9, 2011
    Wexford, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Sean Murray
    After some more searching , I found this, co-incidently, fromCatcams, the company which manufactured my new cams. They don't mark the cams, but on enquiring, they supplied data sheets for the cams which include figures for lifts at TDC.

Problem solved !

http://www.catcams.co.uk/acatalog/Cam_Timing.html

11. Foxie

Foxie Karting

Oct 9, 2011
    Wexford, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Sean Murray
    Getting ready to set the cam timing. I had cut out the centre of a degree wheel to stick it on the front face of the crankshaft damper when I had a better idea. As the damper is a nice cylinder, I thought why not mark it off in degrees ? One dressmaker's measuring tape later, when fitting it was 445mm, but with the tiger glue it came out as exactly 450mm ! One degree = 0.8mm
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    theunissenguido and Foxie like this.
  13. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    The math would drive me nuts....

tbakowsky and Foxie like this.
  14. Foxie

Foxie Karting

Oct 9, 2011
    Wexford, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Sean Murray
  15. Foxie

Foxie Karting

Oct 9, 2011
    Wexford, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Sean Murray
    I am now ready to start assembling the heads and cams on my 1978 308. I plan to fit one head first, and degree the cams by setting the specified lifts @ TDC. I plan to do this one side first, fit and set the belt on that side, and then fit the other head and cams.

Have people here used this method ? Does anyone see any problems with this method ?

16. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    FWIW I’ve always installed both heads, then the cams on assy marks. Set cam degree from there.

Foxie likes this.
  17. Foxie

Foxie Karting

Oct 9, 2011
    Wexford, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Sean Murray
    My new cams are from Catcams, and do not have assembly marks.

However I have found their degreeing instructions, which involve setting the valve lifts at TDC with the cam pulleys loose, and then fitting the locating dowels. The pulley flanges have dowel drillings the full circumference of the pulley flanges.

waymar likes this.
  18. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Again you can probably Mark the cams by comparing with the old ones