Delay Tolerant Networking in onboard telemetry systems | FerrariChat

Delay Tolerant Networking in onboard telemetry systems

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by jthillik, Jun 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jthillik

jthillik Rookie

Jun 18, 2004
    Hello everyone,
    I am assisting research in Delay Tolerant Networking at the University of Waterloo in Canada. DTN is concerned with how to address architectural and protocol designs arising from the need to provide interoperable communications within environments where continuous end-to-end connections cannot be assumed.

One of the attributes of DTN technology is that it enables network devices to buffer communications data while disconnected from the network, and to automatically transmit that data when the device rejoins the network. A recent article has highlighted how Team Ferrari is using this technology to transfer onboard telemetry from vehicles to pit-crews during races.

I have been searching for technical contacts to discover more details of the use of this technology in F1, but have not found any sources of information. If you are involved with the use or development of this technology, my research group would appreciate the opportunity to discuss it with you.

Sincerely,
    Jeremy Hilliker
    jthillik at uwaterloo dot ca