Delayed dome light illumination. | FerrariChat

Delayed dome light illumination.

Discussion in '360/430' started by Some Guy in the sky, Oct 23, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Some Guy in the sky

Some Guy in the sky Formula Junior

Sep 19, 2018
    I have an interesting situation with my dome light on my 360 coupe that I am wondering if anybody else has seen. The first symptom is that the light does not illuminate immediately when the door opens but is delayed from a few seconds to almost a minute before it turns on. The second symptom is a delay in button reaction. I will push one of the buttons on the light and a delay (sometimes long sometimes short) will take place before the light turns on or off. It seems that there is a large amount of electrical resistance somewhere. I can't image this is a good thing and I need to probably get it fixed. Has anybody seen this before or has any idea how to dig deeper to figure out what is wrong?

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Strange. Does it have a standard lamp?

Although the light off delay is handled by the immobiliser ECU, pushing the overhead dome light button completely bypasses the immobiliser electronics. It's the immobiliser which processes the inputs from the door open switches, but not the overhead dome switch.

Does the spotlight do the same thing?

3. Some Guy in the sky

Sep 19, 2018
    Thanks for the input. Lamps are standard. On door open the light comes on when it wants to. And lamp button push the light comes on when it wants to. I am not sure what a spotlight is.

Qavion likes this.
  4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
  5. Some Guy in the sky

Sep 19, 2018
    Thanks for the clarification, I just assumed the whole unit was the dome light. Yes both the dome light and spotlight behave similarly when activated via the button.

6. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #6 Qavion, Oct 23, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
    This may be hard to diagnose. The dome and spot light is provided with power from fuse 70 behind the left hand seat. The same fuse supplies power to:

cigar lighter
    glovebox light
    door lights
    OBD2 socket
    Park light switch on centre console.

Do you have anything plugged into the cigarette lighter or OBD2 port?

The dome light and spot light have a common earth which, again, is attached to numerous devices. The earth can be found under the dash (and may be hard to get to)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Here's a link to my latest wiring diagram for some of the circuits (if you know how to use one of those)

https://www.dropbox.com/t/7DsIyQN4ObfJHHmN

Link expires in 6 days.

Note that 360's sometimes have different fuse numbers. Check your Owner's Manual for the correct number.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Just for info... It is unlikely to be a fuse issue.

Some Guy in the sky likes this.
  7. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Sorry, made a few last minute edits to my last message.

Also... some of the clock circuits also use fuse 70 power. Is it behaving normally?

8. Some Guy in the sky

Sep 19, 2018
    I have never taken the cigarette lighter out and have no idea what kind of condition it is in. I should probably look at that. Also I don't have anything plugged into the obd2 port. I think I might have to check out that ground as a winter project. I am starting to dig into this because I am starting to notice alot of subtle electrical issues that for the past 3 years I just chalked up to paranoia (I drive the car rarely, like once a month). For example I took a drive yesterday where I noticed that the clock was reset as well as the radio (I had to reenter the radio number) and I had not used the trunk power off switch in over a year. This has happened periodically since I have owned the car even though I have the battery on a tender and the battery is a newer (2 years old) interstate battery. This mixed with the strange light behavior has to be something bigger. On top of that my turn signal dash light burned out earlier in the year. I hoped it was the signal relay and I replaced it with a scuding relay but it didn't fix the problem. Because the relay was not the problem I reinstalled the old one (which looked like brand new from a soldering standpoint.)

Qavion likes this.
  9. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    It could be something as simple as a sticky switch. Have you looked at it?

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

10. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I would have thought that a dash turn light would be an LED.

As both left and right turn commands illuminate the same icon, I was wondering if there is a diode or two in the circuit to prevent the left and right signals interfering with each other.

I have a diagram for the turn system, too. I added some hypothetical diodes some time ago.

https://www.dropbox.com/t/iW1PETfH7ehswjmx

Link expires in 6 days.

The hazard/turn module is shown in green.

11. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Interesting.

By the way, do both your door open lights work (on the doors)? Do they illuminate immediately?

12. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Which switch?

13. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Most dome lights are activated by a switch in the door jamb.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

14. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    True, but the switch on the dome light itself bypasses the passenger and driver door jamb switch circuits. During automatic operation, the earth for the light circuit is provided by the Immobiliser ECU (in response to door position, engine starting and timing circuits). During manual operation, the system relies on a fixed earth under the dash. Also, the spotlight wouldn't be affected by door switches.

But, now that I think about it, that logic seems to suggest it's not an earth issue, but a power issue. The symptoms are the same wherever the earth comes from.

Thanks for the inspiration :D

Some Guy in the sky and Need4Spd like this.
  15. Some Guy in the sky

Sep 19, 2018
    The car is not near me at the moment and I am going to have to verify that both doors behave in the same way. I think I should figure out if the results are seen with both engine off and engine running. I will try to get that data by next week.

16. Some Guy in the sky

Sep 19, 2018
    I was finally able to get in the car last weekend. Of course all of the light problems I had described above were not present this time around. I did perform a ctek battery reconditioning last month so I wonder if the problem was from a weak battery. I will keep an eye out for the reemergence of the problem.

Qavion likes this.