demo GTC4Lusso T or 2012 FF | Page 2 | FerrariChat

demo GTC4Lusso T or 2012 FF

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Mike Chawla, May 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    FF/GTC4 is a GT that is designed for high speed and long-distance driving. If that is the type of driving you do most of the time, IMO V12 fits it better than anyting else. For lots of city driving, the T will likely be more suitable with its higher low end torque and slightly lighter weight. For me, it is unquestionable the V12 because I spend most of the time at highway speed, and around a thousand miles per trip.

Mike Chawla likes this.
  2. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    On Thursday last, my wifes cousin and I spent an entire day testing the F12, 812 and Lusso V12 in that order. Spent between 1½ to 2 hours with each car. Note that the cousin here is an FF owner, so that is a very familiar car to both of us.
    If you want to replace the Panamera with a Ferrari that needs to tick the same boxes, the Lusso is a good choice. However, as for a sports GT, it left us both feel rather cold. We are both huge fans of the FF, as it's a great blend of soprty performance as well as a nice GT, but I found the Lusso to have gone too soft for my liking. Yes it was a V12 and it sounds spectacular, but cruising down the freeway, I found myself thinking that I might as well could have been in a Panamera or the like. Seeing that you have an 812 coming, I'd say that the Lusso is not a bad deal, unless you want the same type of sporty feeling. The neat thing about an 812 vs a Lusso is the fact that they do things so differently - but that's also a bit of a downfall if you like the sportier "Ferrari" feel. The Lusso interior is a nice improvement for sure. Both the FF mentioned here, as well as the Lusso we drove that day, had Analine leather. But I think the Lusso has better seats, and a more updated feel to the interior - a bit like the 812 over the F12 in this regard.
    Our biggest surprise was when we started to push the Lusso. Then it kind of all fell apart. Too soft, too much roll and bounce. So all in all, I'm a big fan of the Lusso interior and especially the way they have decreased wind noise, but as for pure driving pleasure and fun, the FF is the better car for me.
    Another concern is whether or not you will find the FF interior a bit dated when you get your 812. The 812 interior is simply a stunning place to be, and to me, like the rest of the car, it seems like a vast step up in design and "feel".
    None of us have driven a Lusso T as of yet, but during our Lusso V12 drive, we actually debated if the better FF replacement would be a Lusso T with a Novitec engine tune and Novitec suspension. It's lighter and I don't really feel like the 4wd is that important.
    At the end of the day, only you can make the decision. To me, the Lusso is kind of a hard sale as it does not feel quite as special as the FF, F12 and 812. But if one already has an 812, the Lusso might be a viable option as a softer four seater. If I were to only choose between having a Lusso and an FF, the FF is probably what I'd choose.
    To beat the 812 is hard - and as far as the FF, F12 and Lusso go, don't even try. It's a car that really have left me wanting more. It's been a while since a car gave me a sensation of just wanting to keep on going, and just push. Just such a complete package. Handing the keys over to that one, was not easy :)

Will your dealer not let you drive both the FF and Lusso T? Talk to them and see if that's possible. Spend an hour or two in each car, that will really make it easier to get a sense for the cars in question.

The Lusso has set itself apart by quite a margin compared to the FF, F12 and 812, so it's really hard to compare them as they offer so different experiences. You need to drive them to find out what works for you.

BigGenerator, -K1-, Bundy and 3 others like this.
  3. Outrun

Outrun Karting

Similar to my experience. I spent time in the Lusso, f12 and FF and went for the FF as the more engaging to drive. I liked the f12 however with small kids, it was always an outside bet. The tech is nice in the lusso but the depreciation has already happened for the FF so that’s also a factor. I’m lucky to have perhaps the highest spec car delivered in the Uk so that also helps!

As did the Novitec exhaust....

uhn2000, otakki, ANOpax and 1 other person like this.
  4. Mike Chawla

Mike Chawla Karting

Dec 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mike Chawla
    I am back with one more questions friends,I read this today about FF, can an owner comment on this experience please, thanks so much in advance

The same buyers might also frown with quiet frustration at the normally exemplary gearbox’s occasional hesitancy at high street speeds. Left to deal with very light throttle loads in its auto mode, the F1-DCT occasionally misjudges the shift between first and second (and back again) as it juggles the engine’s colossal latent energy with your requirement to trickle between traffic lights.

5. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Mike,

My reading of the paragraph you’ve highlighted is that it came from a British review. The ‘high street speeds’ refer to the UK ‘high street’ shopping venue, not a fast street speed.

My suspicion is borne out by the reference to the 2nd to 1st auto shift. I don’t usually suffer a problem with it but I did notice it as I drew up to a halt on an uphill section of road leading on to a highway the other day.

Given that Bangkok is largely flat (like the Netherlands) you are unlikely to experience this often. The shift is clunky as the engine management system gooses the throttle at a crawling speed and drops you abruptly into first gear.

The shift only feels clunky relative to the smoothness of the rest of the DCT box. Relative to the F1 boxes of yore (in the 612) it feels about the same.

Mike Chawla likes this.
  6. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    #31 635CSI, Jun 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2019

The gearbox and its software on the more modern Lusso have of course evolved and dealt with this. Mine is exemplary around town (and on fast roads too). I suggest you test drive the Lusso both in and out of town, especially somewhere you can appreciate its agility and delicacy of touch.

deltona likes this.
  7. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    My FF has a switch that lets you quite the sound for the neighborhood

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Mike Chawla likes this.
  8. Mike Chawla

Mike Chawla Karting

Dec 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mike Chawla
    Oh wow thats amazing,does it come with car or is it something we must install from oustide,if so can you help guide me about this,this is great news as i am worried about the big v 12 haha

9. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    my FF has no issues in daily driving environments.
    you can either add a switch (much cheaper way) which allows normal valve open close operation or add a novitec ECU (much more $ way) and tailor the manettino setting - on mine i have comfort set to oem and sport is open all the time.

Mike Chawla likes this.
  10. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Mike, can we ask if you have had a chance to drive these cars yet?

Mike Chawla likes this.
  11. Mike Chawla

Mike Chawla Karting

Dec 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mike Chawla
    yes I did test drive 3/4 cars 812 T and Lusso v12, FF i will get a chance later this month when I am swiss i will rent for 1-2 days and feel FF out before making a decision whether to sell my Panamera 2017 for either Lusso T or FF

this is my experience and feel:

I drove 812 and i have one coming so thats amazing v12 for me

Lusso v12 is very very different to v12 812 ,the car is set up very soft and feels like more body roll(beautiful ride luxury car feel and when kick down glorious sound) , however the T feels better than Panamera but the turbo engine is still giving me doubts,the T also feels more sport than v12 Lusso in my opinion the suspension feel. if I didnt have 812 coming i would probably surely go for Lusso v12 for engine sake as i love the feel of NA much more ,I used to have boxster 981 which was NA it feels even better than the new Panamera turbo somehow even thos all the numbers torgues etc is better on paper,I love the feel of NA in the sense it goes exactly as you press the gas and feels natural

812 is crazy awesome cars from my tests(handles like a dream wherever i point the steering inch to inch) ...now for the practical family one i will either keep panamera or change to T or FF still undecided will test FF final time and conclude this

Thanks for asking sir
    Mike

12. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Thanks for the update Mike,
    Nice decision to have to make.
    A good weekend to you

Mike Chawla likes this.
  13. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
    noticed that FF's that have been for sale are becoming sparse as the weather warms up

14. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I bought the car used and it came with it

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Mike Chawla likes this.
  15. Mike Chawla

Mike Chawla Karting

Dec 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mike Chawla
    Today I rented Ferrari FF and drove it from Geneva airport to Montreux, OMG what is this car, IMHO this is better than Lusso 12 and Lusso T,I am so convinced to go back home and turn Panamera 2017 into this one if the deal is still there.Apparently, there are only 5 FF in Thailand totally.
    The Interior also very nice I am surprised by 2011 era is still admirable as new, so amazing
    I will try to post some pictures of my rental car tomorrow/day after, its black exterior and black leather.

Some more thoughts on FF, even in comfort mode the engine feel and sound is fulfilling, and we all know what happens in sport mode it's super!

the car has so many characters,one is comfort but nice feel drive still, sports mode sporty and aggressive, and manual shift another experience and lastly even bumpy road works and made my wife happy haha

I will have around 4-500 km to do in the next 2 days, trip from Montreux to St Gallen. So I will get to know FF more and excited about this.

And on a funny note first day in switzerland, I was speeding nicely beyond speed limit and no issues but I got a ticket for wrong parking haha

Way2fast, Bundy and otakki like this.
  16. Mike Chawla

Mike Chawla Karting

Dec 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mike Chawla
    Hello so in the last minute i decided to go for Lusso T after driving again and the newer feel and sharp agile steering(also feel of car is sportier than FF) had me,so i put down the money today and will have the demo delivered to me next week(i live 700km norht of bangkok thats where the official ferrari is and they say they will come with delivery ceremony haha i dont know what that means)
    my 812 also went stage 30 they said so that will probably be 2-3 months away

My question is did you receive your T and you also have FF 812 etc,how do you like your T so far,I didnt feel any turbo lag luckily in my one hour experience the other day,would love to hear about your T :)
    Mike

PS i also ordered a very nice HRE P104SC 21" front 22" rear in "Polished Bronze" to go with Rossa Corsa paint,will share wheel pic in a moment its really exciting :)

17. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Hi Mike, congrats buddy! I am soon to post a wonderful delivery experience of picking up both the LussoT and 812 SF at the same time, was nuts how the timing worked! I am living in a bit of a dream right now with both those cars, very happy. I do love the T very much, its such a great get up and go car. It also has a bunch of the great new ADAS features and those are just super cool. Its very smooth and sporty at the same time, with all the creature comforts of a modern day sedan. It goes from soft to crazy with very cool pops and girggles in the exhaust. I spec'd it to be a keeper, its very loaded, and I am glad I did hope to have it around for a very long time. Your wheel upgrades sound amazing, very aggressive and slick! Enjoy man.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

mclaren slr, ANOpax and Mike Chawla like this.
  18. Mike Chawla

Mike Chawla Karting

Dec 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mike Chawla
    super color and spec, congrats to you as well :) great to hear you are happy with both and enjoying yourself with them, below is the wheel and color i chose I am trying my best to go light weight so i dont effect unsprung weight and all the set up around the wheel so i could change my mind to all 21 tomorrow and make the tyres lighter as well so not too wide and heavy thinking 255/30 R21 and 295/30 R21, researched bit based on Co Pilota advise and totally agree with him and will be mindful about the weight so I don't lose the punch break and acceleration feel :)
    let us keep in touch and will post both my cars together before year-end, looking forward to seeing your post about delivery, please do show us your collection together :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

uhn2000 likes this.