DeMuro on which cars will go down in price, calls out special edition Ferraris | Page 2 | FerrariChat

DeMuro on which cars will go down in price, calls out special edition Ferraris

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by sixcarbs, May 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

He used to be in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MK1044 likes this.
  2. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    I don’t often watch listen to people on YouTube...too many morons.

That said he does have some valid points here. The old adage 911s are like dog pooh, one on every street corner!

As to “special Ferrari’s” how much more would you pay for a pista over a f8? At the moment specials are coming along at such a rate his point about no longer being special I think is valid.

Time will tell.

3. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    If Chris Harris says it, I'll listen. Any other YouTube idiot I don't care about. If you actually use that advice/opinion to buy a car.. then it has value. Nobody actually bases a decision on his YouTube videos.

BOKE, PaulK and eyeman1234 like this.
  4. Natkingcolebasket69

I’m not a fan but he is far from being an idiot. Rmbr, whether u believe it or not her gets 10k from
    Google/YouTube every million views...and he gets a lot of views...

eyeman1234 and Boomhauer like this.
  5. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    It's true that when everything's "special"...nothing is.

However, I don't get the "overabundance" of old Porsches argument. Porsches in general, yes. Old ones, not so much. I live in NH, not CA, but I hardly see them anymore.

Personally I don't think, given the relative cost of things, that $50K (the $65K he mentions is high) is way overpriced for a decent 80s 911, considering the average price of an average new car today is what, $35K? They were undervalued for a long time (I bought my '86 for less than $15K) in the same way that nice 328s were undervalued at $35K 10 years ago. Blue-chip investment they're not, and while the market has plateaued, barring something unforseen I don't think we're going back to where we were 10 years ago.

Texas Forever likes this.
  6. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I'm not sure who is qualified, take me for instance I have made at least 23% a year every year for the last 11 years on the stock market and beaten almost every supposed expert. Yes my mind sees things normal minds don't and I study P&L's, but I am no expert I know more about a lot of other things. Cars, real estate, art, stocks, all speculation, and all a matter of opinion. Unless Doug is giving me the money to buy an investment (which I would never buy a car as, that is just not smart money folks), I will stick to making my own decisions. As for Doug, I am not what qualifies him as a reviewer but since most people by nature are followers, if you get a big enough group of people who follow you, others just tag along. Hmmm reminds me of some other unqualified people with a following (lemmings anyone). Okay the older I get the harder it is too keep my real thoughts in check. I'm going to go invent something, think I need a break from forums for a while.

BOKE, paulchua and Texas Forever like this.
  7. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    Over in Vt, on any sunny day I will see at least 3 porsches maybe more. I'm not sure if that's overabundance, but it makes them popular in my opinion. And as with any make or model of car, the best kept and maintained examples will bring the most in resale. The only thing you are guaranteed to see (and hear) more of is countless motorcycles with zero exhaust systems going full throttle.

8. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    I think Doug has more of an influence then we would like to admit. I think he might be partially right about some of the special edition Ferrari's from here on out since they will be making way more of them but the older ones should and probably will be safe. That's kinda sad because cars like the Challenge Stradale were pretty large improvements over the 360 and honestly one of the cars id love to have and drive but im afraid if i had one id be afraid to drive it for fear of de-valuing it. And at the end of the day it is just his opinion and I question how many of the folks that watch his videos could actually afford one of the "special" editions anyway.

Boomhauer likes this.
  9. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    Haha yes the bikes get to be a bit much - I work 10 min from Laconia, and bike week is almost here...

I see tons of Porsches around the big lake here as well - but they're almost all new. Only seen 3 air-cooled cars, though, since the snow went away, 2 911s and a 993.

10. beng

beng Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2006
    RSF, California
    Full Name:
    Benjamin Galdston
    I can barely get through three minutes of his videos. His presentation is grating, his voice nasally, his mannerisms are neurotic (watch his arms), and he repeats the same phrases over and over again. I cannot comprehend why anyone would permit him use of their classic or exotic but I also cannot understand why anyone would listen to his uniformed, idiotic drivel about the “quirks” of Italian car-making or the market for any car in particular. But, he seems to have an audience so what do I know >>>>

11. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Not only unqualified , it’s unwatchable. Best ,Kirk.

BOKE and Corsair66 like this.
  12. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    What would make him qualified?

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  13. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    to me, hes like the Mick Jagger of car youtubers...his voice is weird and all that pouting and mincing around the stage is pretty far from cool, but its his style and it keeps your attention. Its entertainment. If back in the day, Mick would have sat on a stool and actually just sang, I mean, really sang, noone would know his name...same with a guy that sits calmly and speaks in a slow monotone for 10min about cars he likes. enthusiasm and passion and a bit of knowledge go along way in a video.

that said, I agree with a lot of what he says...the Porsche frenzy is mind-boggling to me. The exotic special editions get less interesting with each new model. and I don't get the appeal of the cheap plastic 90s Japanese cars, fun as they were back in the day, the brands just don't carry them well. Lexus LFA anyone?

14. Natkingcolebasket69

Exactly- he is just like us a car enthusiast. I’m no more qualified then him...u can dislike him but he is a smart average Joe who is getting success;)

Boomhauer and I'm 360 Canuck like this.
  15. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Some of demuro’s stuff is repetitive or even annoying, but in general he offers a lot of coverage of whatever car he is reviewing and at least he sticks with something and does his thing.

I cant stand hoovie who just goes around buying a new used car every week (seemingly) only to complain about how its so expensive to own and then he resells it. Its fake as hell and painful to watch.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  16. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Ah, what the hell. Stay and start slinging some mud. You haven't lived until you've been banned from FerrariChat.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  17. Natkingcolebasket69

I recommend yslish if u want to be banned quickly ; the man assesses bans faster Than one of the Kardashian’s pop a new kid.;)

18. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

#43 Cigarzman, May 28, 2019
    Last edited: May 28, 2019
    A person who has actually bought and sold these cars for years would qualify in my book. Not hearsay , woulda , coulda , shoulda , yada yada. Best , Kirk.

Sidebar , I have lost money on every car I’ve ever owned. Although the experiences have been worth it.

BOKE and Texas Forever like this.
  19. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Look..I'm not much of a fan of his either. But he has driven plenty of "dream cars". And has immersed himself in the world of cars. So I would give him a bit of credit for that. I think he owns a Ford GT if I'm not mistaken.

He has built up a pretty good platform of auto experiance behined the wheel of many cars, so I think it is very qualified to cast his personal opinion..just like we all do in the fields we are familure with.

20. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I just guess we have different opinions. :)

BOKE likes this.
  21. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Take his "driving impressions" and compare them to why any average driver or 16 year old kid would say in the same car. "It's fast" "The clutch is heavy" If you said anything about how the car drives (think Harris and understeer into the corner, then talk about braking, etc.) in a meaningful context above what something someone who knows nothing about cars.. that might make someone qualified.
    Take a 17 year old girl who would rather be texting her friends in the back of an Uber.. who legitimately DOESN'T like driving. She hates it, but she does it to get to her job as a restaurant receptionist. Then get her into the same cars. Record it. It's the same youtube video. Only, she's going to be hotter. "Qualified" is different to many people but in my eyes providing meaningful insight and feedback beyond what literally anyone will say kinda defines it in my eyes.

Themaven and BMW.SauberF1Team like this.
  22. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The guy is pandering to his market. And it's making him money. Good for him. Not too many people have the attention span to listen to a person talk about the detailed functions of the variable cam timing system in a Maclaren. They just want to know how fast it is and how many heads it turns, and what colors are available.

23. Zachman

Zachman Rookie

Jun 13, 2012
    I Say, "Opinions are like orgasms... Mine is more important than theirs, I don't care IF they have one." ;)

EastMemphis, vrsurgeon and Nospinzone like this.
  24. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    Theres something honest and relatable (at least for me) about his reviews. Hes not trying to be a car snob or collector. Hes an everyday guy with a background in cars (I think he worked at Porsche) and he relates to people who don't have access to great cars and gives them insight into them. He doesn't have Nick Masons bank account, or Jay Lenos time to fuss around...or vice versa. More "qualifications" would make him less relatable, for me. I cant relate to someone who 17 exotic/collector cars. I would not use them the same way or appreciate the same things from them.

Frankly, Im growing tired of all the car snobs talking about how "analog" their underpowered car with 12 computers in it is. Its like reading wine reviews. after awhile, they all say the same things that sound like ********. "...hints of vanilla and lavender..." gtfo...

25. Frontv12

Frontv12 Rookie

Aug 31, 2016
    Interesting comments about whether he is qualified:

- worked at a F dealer during the 360 model run into the 430 run...
    - spends his career in the garages of both collectors and single ‘special’ car owners..I would guess he doesn’t just take keys and film - he talks to said owners about what they have owned and what their friends and fellow collectors own, and why.
    - has 2.8 mil subscribers on his main channel and 476k subscribers on his ‘More Doug’ channel
    - gets over 1 mil views of his reviews sometimes within 1 day

His Style may not be for everyone but his opinion certainly has a basis since he spends what seems like all day everyday talking to exotic car owners and filming their cars. Seems like an alright guy as well. Good start to the conversation.

PS - I don’t get the 88 911 for $60k thing either
    - humbly states at beginning he has not done hard and detailed research and this view was his learned opinion

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app