DEPENDABILITY RELIABILITY? | FerrariChat

DEPENDABILITY RELIABILITY?

Discussion in 'McLarenChat.com' started by SL%%, Mar 3, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SL%%

SL%% Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2008
    Hello friends,

Just want to ask on how is the reliability and dependability of McLaren? Can you share your experience? Appreciate it, thanks....

2. tame

tame Rookie

Jun 22, 2007
    Connecticut
    2018 720S I have driven 2,000 miles - always starts, always runs -

3. Booker

Booker Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Miami 2018

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
    It seems newer mclarens have really stepped up their game in terms of reliability

4. Night life

Night life F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007
    The city that rhymes with fun in Canada
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    I owned 2 so far and both are fantastic, most issues are small electrical gremlins that fix them selves, great cars.

5. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Staten Island, N.Y./ Sea Girt,N.J.
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    2020 720S Spider with 7,000 Smiles and not one problem, except a Windshield.

Joe

Booker likes this.
  6. 2cargarageuk

2cargarageuk Rookie

Apr 7, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve Houlder
    570S Spyder and now a 720S Spyder, 10,000 miles - and far fewer issues than my AMGGTR tbh.... I changed dealers and the service is now excellent - so if you can buy one

7. abedh

abedh Karting

May 12, 2013
    Woodinville
    Full Name:
    Abed Husseini
    I have owned 2 McLarens so far, a 2018 570 Spyder and a 2019 720s.
    Mechanically I have had zero issues with the car.
    On all other fronts McLaren is a quality control disaster.
    My Spyder had all sorts of electrical issues, from problems with stereo system muting itself, to doors not opening and car not starting unless I did a magical dance with the keys so they get recognized.
    On the 720s the story is not any better.
    I have over 9000 miles on her, bought new at the dealership. I have had a windshield replaced, and 3 glass door roof panels replaced. I have had parking sensor fail. The stereo occasionally likes to reset itself at the most inopportune times. I have had the drivers door hinge replaced. The paint on these cars is total ****, so thin that if you sneeze wrong you will get paint damage.
    Sometimes when I am in the car the key fob is not recognized to start, so I have to move the key around near the steering wheel for it to recognize. What the hell is the use of a wireless fob if it doesn’t work wirelessly?!?
    All that aside, it’s an insanely fun car to drive, I just wish QC was better. Thankfully my car spent the better part of 3 months at the dealership during the fall and winter months getting its issues resolved vs. the driving season.

Angry Pinchy likes this.
  8. wings

wings Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    This is why I will not buy a McLaren. They need to improve reliability.

9. Night life

Night life F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    Reliability is just fine, it is electrical gremlins that 99% of time fix themselves just like a computer turn off turn back on. I have had many Ferrari or Lambo or even BMW do same or worse. Thats why Ferrari-chat was created to connect ppl and solve on going issues with their Ferrari's LOL

Booker likes this.
  10. wings

wings Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    Then there was the guy who had to have his quarter panel replaced except McLaren sent him the wrong one and he wait to wait for another??? Then the 3 cases of windshield cracking because they made the windshields to thin to save weight. Now we have electrical gremlins. What else is out there? No thanks.

11. Night life

Night life F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    Ok well you're obviously an expert since you own one :rolleyes:

wildkalabaw likes this.
  12. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
  13. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Just had my 600LT in for its first service. Found a defective water pump that had to be replaced. For the Italian car fans who are McLaren critics, pump was made in Italy.

cavsct94 likes this.
  14. bob mccarthy

bob mccarthy Rookie

Jan 6, 2013
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Robert C McCarthy,Jr
    I have 6600 miles on my 2016 650S spider. Not one mechanical issue. Only disappointment is the IRIS system, it does what it wants to, whenever it wants to. And the rapid depreciation of their cars.