Design critique Bizzarrini HT5300 Strada: ass your opinion | FerrariChat

Design critique Bizzarrini HT5300 Strada: ass your opinion

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by bitzman, Dec 20, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    LOL - "ass your opinion"...

I equate it to an invite to "Poke the Bear"... but OK, I'm an opinionated person:

To me, the Bizzarrini has always appeared to have a broken frame making it sag in the middle - that unhappy center dip isn't a feature of any other Giugiaro designs. I question the facts in the article. And I question the author's motives.

Wallace Wyss is an experienced automotive author and thoroughgoing enthusiast. The article was written whilst he was painting two Bizzarrinis. Is it a surprise he concludes their styling is a "tremendous tribute to Giugiaro", even though his article clearly finds faults?... I conclude any artist has to earn their living, and self-promotion is part of that work.

..but here enters some unclarity: Lists of Giugiaro designs do not include the Bizzo Strada. Historical references don't attribute the Bizzarrini Strada's design to Giugiaro. One reference I found states the design was by Bertone and "influenced" by Giugiaro, but even Bertone doesn't list the Bizzo Strada as one of their designs... I do not see a clear answer. If its design origin is unclear, why risk your journalistic integrity by bringing Giugiaro into the mix, and why not critique the design for what it *is*, not WHO did it - unless you find more value in mentioning Giugiaro's or Bertone's name, than you do in fact-checking.

Mike Gulett injects some solid objective commentary.

The Iso Grifo is unquestionably an iconic Giugiaro design.

Cheers,
    - Art

2. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    The center dip did always bother me, but I realize if you want low-slung it's gonna be sort of sway back. I was shock to find the same a-to-b-pillar in the Titania, a one off done in '65 that seems to steal much of the Strada GT5300 but only one was made.

Article here Another Mystery Car: Titania Veltro GTT 1500 - **********.com

I was more shocked in some Italian version of a site like Wikipedia that it credited someone else with the Iso Grifo A3L/A3C/StradaGT5300 shape "Piero Vanni, a close friend of the engineer Bizzarrini, who had drawn the first sketch on a blackboard. The sketch prepared by Vanni was brought to Modena at Piero Drogo’s Sportcars, who made a steel wire mask and then built the bodywork." So I will be on the lookout to see if there's more mention of Vanni.

But if Giugiaro is not claiming it then who did the A3/C sketch in Giugiaro's style and signed it with his name?
    I think Giugiaro claimed the Bizzarrini early in promoting Ital Design's part of his design portfolio but even though I found many flaws you have to admit that for a 1967 car (the year of the one I portrayed) it blows most old cars off the map. In fact I wouldn't want to see the flaws improved by any resto-modder because there's too much chance they'd screw it up. I'm doing another painting of the A3/C but don't know if anyone wants to see a design critique since it's the same basic shape.

All the best,
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

71Satisfaction likes this.
  3. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Thank you for posting a copy of that design sketch. I am in no position to doubt that signature is Giugiaro's.. so as far as I'm concerned, it's his design and I thank you for teaching me something new today. And I'm not wholly against the Bizzo's design - just that one feature. There are certain moods, certain pictures, and certain videos which really show off its lines from the nose over the windshield, and around the rear to the under-tuck.
    - Art

4. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Still my favorite car to paint--saw this one as first I saw on the street since they had a class at Pebble Beach for them or so years ago,
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    The 1900GT ‘baby’ Bizza was the looks winner in my ass opinion :cool:

rdefabri likes this.