Design Critique of Roma spyder--anybody gpt picture of rear spoiler deployed? | FerrariChat

Design Critique of Roma spyder--anybody gpt picture of rear spoiler deployed?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by bitzman, Mar 18, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Design Critique:The 2024 Roma spyder; somehow it seems a tad Porsche...

When Ferrari brought out the Roma coupe awhile back it was a refreshing new direction--for it was not festooned with race-like accoutrements like hood scoops, side vents, spoilers in stilts, and other "boy racer" stuff that would be almost embarrassing on a car meant 100% for the street.
    The car is almost Jaguar-like, but of course much more lithe and lightweight than Jaguar's current sports car.
    It would be too much to hope for they would fit a V12, to make a soyder recalling the 365GTS Daytona Spyder but the 3.9 liter V8 rated at 612 hp. (with 561 lb-ft. of torque) is no slouch. It gets the car up into the 200 mph (320 km/h) mph territory you expect from a Ferrari.

As in the coupe an eight-speed dual-clutch automatic is the only transmission.

It is nothing short of amazing this lean spyder is a four seater but then again I haven't seen it pictured with rear passengers. I expect "child seats" might be an accurate description of the rear seats.

The new roadster breaks new (or should we say "old" ground by bringing back the soft top--after it looked like open air enthussiasts were going to have to accept the metal and plastic retractable hardtop as the successor to the soft top. There is something charming and :"old world" about a canvas top, especially in the contrast between the matte surface of the cloth and the glistening paint of the body.
    One thing they stuck to on the roadster is the chromeless grille--instead it is still the body colored gridework like on a stone wall--unusual even among Italian cars.
    Here's my take on the design, going from pictures (at this time I don't think they've reached the US)

FRONT Glad they are sticking with the chromeless grille as it gives them a path outbound from the almost seven-plus decades of shiny bright metalwork grilles.

SIDE The styling is very traditional as far as the canvas contrasting with the shiny finish. In side profile, the rear fenders swing up to minimize the view of the top when retracted. But the upsweep of the body side aft of the doors is distractingly large, not as subtle as the shape of the Jaguar E-type roadster with the top down..The rear seat headrests seem to stick up higher than the front seat ones. Maybe they would be less noticeable if they didn't have the "fairings" behind them. On the lower rear, from side view, the flat black trim detracts from enjoying the "purity" of the side view (so do the rocker panels but not so much) Couldn't the wrap around part of the lower body be body colored on the side?

REAR Here's where it takes an odd turn, almost Porsche 911-like since the Porsche 911 is also available with a cloth top . The black portion on the rear deck recalls the grille of the old air cooled 911 roadsters.
    The active rear spoiler is not shown deployed in press releases so it may be this dark section of the rear deck. I'd prefer it be body colored to avoid the Porsche 911 look, After all the Porsche 911 cabriolet is a mere $118,000 car. Why have your $280,000 Ferrari look like a much cheaper car?

In sum, Ferrari.is wise to offer a variation on the coupe
    because it gives them a "way out" from the heavier looking front engined cars like the Portofino that they already offer--a new direction so to speak, one aimed at a wider audience in the luxury car world (dare I say one "more sophisticated"?). I even think it appeals to a different market--those who want a Ferrari for the driving pleasure and engineering but don't want that "boy racer"/"Look at me" impression conveyed as much as some of their other models do. It is, in a word, more discreet.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Opinions anyone?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

KS_California and vcappp like this.
  2. DavidPutty

DavidPutty Karting

Jan 19, 2020
    Del Boca Vista
    Wish it had a manual transmission like a 911

Dewinator, ryalex and x z8 like this.
  3. Snewton94024

Snewton94024 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2015
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Steve Newton
    Pretty sure you can order the grille in chrome or any other color if you like.

4. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I don't think the originl designer envisioned it that way--he was trying to break away from the 100-year old Auto Industry Iron Rule--a grille has gotta be flashy, this way it's more minimalist, there to do the job but not there to be flashy. I noticed two ads on the net for aftermarket rear spoilers for the coupe so maybe there's some worry the stock aero doesn't work hard enough. By the way here's a Ferrari factory video showing the spyder top deploying and the car on the road, though it still doesn't show the rear spoiler deployed, though I now know it has three stages of deployment.
    https://www.ferrari.com/en-EN/auto/ferrari-roma-spider

5. SVanDyck

SVanDyck Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2021
    Full Name:
    Joe Michaels
    I actually like the painted grill.

6. speedcat

speedcat Karting

Jul 26, 2011
    AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    John
    Maggio23 and vcappp like this.
  7. speedcat

speedcat Karting

Jul 26, 2011
    AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    John
    Maggio23 and vcappp like this.
  8. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Simple fix for spoiler is to make it body color to blend in

vcappp likes this.
  9. vcappp

vcappp Rookie

Aug 25, 2021
    Does Ferrari allow it? Online configurator does not show the option to make the spoiler same body color.

10. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    In the side view, surroding the exhaust pipes, of what significance is the black plastic? Covering a safety bumper? I was just wondring what can be removed so the side can be all body color.

11. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    Not every Ferrari is great. The new Roma spider looks like a new Mondial. Very awkward.

dolphins08430 likes this.
  12. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    Still detest the nose treatment…….

Alpintourer likes this.
  13. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I wouldn’t be surprised if the body colored grill design gets more adopted across their range. Makes the grill “disappear” into the body. Then when the EV shift starts to take place the lack of a prominent grill will be a classic “Ferrari design feature.”

95spiderman likes this.
  14. Sushistar

Sushistar Karting

Jan 20, 2018
    Berlin
    red27 and Dewinator like this.
  15. SLC4S

SLC4S Karting

Jun 21, 2022
    Full Name:
    Nate
    Yeah they allow it, its called ordering the car in Nero :) then the spoiler is body color.

16. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Looks like the Portofino M is going away.

I’m glad to see Ferrari going with a soft top, and IMHO the Roma is their most attractive car.

I don’t think there’s much potential for confusion with the 911 cabriolet - the nose and side profiles are quite different, as are the tail lights. Porsche has always had a distinctive front end treatment,

(As far as $118,000 for the 911… good luck finding one for that.)

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

17. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    It has a "Hunchback" that is very Porsche. To me it interrupts the otherwise flowing lines of the car.
    Plus. the "colander" grill is off putting. I'm not a fan.