Detailers: pick one! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Detailers: pick one!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Ricambi America, Jul 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

I have an addiction, and I'm just going to face it head on.

This afternoon, with $14 burning a hole in my pocket, I bought my first bottle of Meguires NXT Tech Wax. OH MY GOD. With a proper applicator and microfiber towel, the gloss is simply outstanding. It properly filled some tiny little lint scratches and looks like glass. In fairness, I didn't pull the car into the bright outside daylight -- it was just too hot outside -- but in the garage lighting (which is pretty good), the finish was great.

So, I broke down and spent some money. From what I can tell, NXT Tech Wax might be my new favorite. Anyone else try this stuff?

-Daniel

2. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Daniel,

Congrats on making a final choice. I've been trying to decide which route I'm going to take also. I was strongly considering NXT also. If you use this product, is it difficult to remove if you want to go back to the traditional 3 step Mothers' products or similar?

3. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    thanks for the comment on the NXT wax. I have been wanting to try it also. anyone have any comments on colors other than red for this product?

4. lawwdog

lawwdog Formula 3

Dec 4, 2002
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Sunny,

I have read this thread and the other thread you linked to. You seem to be the authority here. So can you simplify for me? I cannot e-mail you according to your profile settings.

Scenario:
    I own 97 355 Spider - Carbon Black Metallic.
    17K Miles - Garaged - Covered - Driven in Sunny 80 - 90 degree weather
    High speed buff with glaze approximately 4 months ago.
    Washed every week/ every other week with

Finish now dull looking - Fine line scrathces from micro fibre towel

Please give me you recipe with $ not an issue for the product that I can apply myself.

I have high speed buffer and orbital at disposal...

I'm confused so put me in the right direction Please

5. khughes

khughes Karting

Nov 7, 2003
    this "show & shine" deal on saturday has got everyone rubbing...........i did mine monday night, but i,ve seen that jack russell 348 and i don't think i've got a chance.

6. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Mine car is Nero (black). It looks fantastic with the NXT -- and black is about the most difficult color on the planet to get properly polished/waxed.

-Daniel

7. spyderman33

spyderman33 Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    MIA/ATL
    Full Name:
    Julian
    I have used Zaino, Mothers, Zymol, 3M, NXT, etc on my black NSX-T...

This is the best combo I have used so far.. Meguiars Paint Cleaner (Step 2) and NanoWax with Microfiber towels to remove.. The results are amazing.. Reduces the micro scratches and swirls by at least 90%...

Looks awesome but doesn't hold up well after rain, etc..

Good luck.

8. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    This is why.... you schedule your car with the 'detailer' to rejouvinate the shine. ;)

9. markcF355

markcF355 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmeckelstan
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Hope your weekend went well. Sorry I didn’t catch this thread earlier. 3M makes a product called show wax that is available at auto body supply companies. It is simply fantastic. Makes the car look like wet glass. The only problem is it stays ‘wet’. If you leave the car sit outside dirt and pollen in the air will stick to it. NOTHING makes a car look better than this stuff.

10. spyderman33

spyderman33 Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    MIA/ATL
    Full Name:
    Julian
    They sell the stuff at PepBoy's.. FYI

11. markcF355

markcF355 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmeckelstan
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thanks. The last time I bought the stuff (10 years?) you could only get it at auto body supply places. These days I use Pinnacle Souveran wax. Costly but worth it.

12. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    Frankly, i think the differences in a high quality carnuba wax are less than the particular skill and effort you spend on preparing the car, and applying the wax. As to the best "cheap fix" once the car is done, i like the Wurtz Zebra Spray- i used it to prepare the black barchetta for the R & T shoot (after the Pateraks hand polished and waxed the car). It does not leave any film- in fact, its great for cleaning glass, as well. You order it from the manufacturer's distributor (the one i know of is located in New Jersey, but there may be others). I've never seen the product on a retail store shelf.

13. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Mario,

I just came across your post since I don't browse often enough to keep tabs on the threads I post in (subscription option would work, eh?).

If you have fine line scratches, without seeing the paint up close or with several close up pictures in direct sun and/or fluorescent light, I'll assume half your swirls are in the wax/protectant and the other half are in the clear.

A through wash followed by a non-aggressive quick clay job and then use a a dual action polisher on moderate speed with a light swirl remover paste or a moderate swirl remover paste to take those swirls out and remove the product you have on there already.

If you want to add pop to the metallic, take your time and apply and remove a coat of glaze, something along the lines of a Meguiar's #7, Omega Glaze, or Mother's Finishing Glaze (the three that immediately came to mind). Finish with your favorite wax/polish product or pure wax/protectant product.

I take the short way out and combine the swirl remover and glaze/polish steps using Meguiar's #9 applied by buffer at low speed and removed by hand. I used to do it all by hand. The buffer has allowed me to neglect my finish a little more in exchange for its ability to remove swirls in the wax layer or from the clear itself. I would estimate the swirls my car accumulates are 85-90% in the top protectant layer, otherwise, I would remove the swirls as one step, glaze, and then protect.

The more metallic in your finish, the more zing a glaze will give. Mine is bursting with metallic flake already, next to a solid black finish, mine appears grey. If I'm in paint purist mode, I'll glaze it and then layer wax on top for the desired effect for better reflection.

Wash, clay (or skip if its better than glass smooth), remove swirls, polish, then protect. I'm working on a couple cars this weekend, its a shame your up north :(

Sunny

e-mail: [email protected]

14. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    I thought I should "man up" and post some pics. I spent my first 3hrs with my dual action polisher on my own car on Sat for the first time and looking forward to making it perfect. There are a few super fine swirls that a little more time with the DAP will make short work of. I enjoy working on other people's cars more than my own, what can I say.

Sunny

P.S. Pixel/Bandwidth gestapo held me back to 640x480. :D

P.S.S. Posting pictures in a garage and/or in shade is for wusses. It produces great reflections but doesn't tell the whole story. ;)