DeTomaso P72 - prototype. | FerrariChat

DeTomaso P72 - prototype.

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by staatsof, Sep 27, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob

Looks very Spyker like inside.

3500 GT, Mang and BJK like this.
  2. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    This shot reminds me of the Jaguar XJ220 because it's so long. It's the right color too!
    [​IMG]

3. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Retro but Best looking car by far
    Too bad it’s unobtanium
    And yes could use a more exotic motor

4. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Who was behind making these and was there a stated objective. I've several of these in different color. Or ... maybe just two that have been repainted several times?

5. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

Some group in Hong kong I read once, they bought the name and came up with the car. Its a comercial enterprise.

6. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    The drivetrain sounds very rough, race car like. I have to wonder if it's a real effort? It looks pretty and all but I doubt it's feasible to make that into a legal road going car so then what's the point?

7. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    If your car has a bare resemblance to something historic and you make less than 360 total per anum then there is a loophole in terms of DOT crash testing etc provided you run an epa compliant powertrain. Thats how the newer Morgan Plus 4 and Plus 6 come in, the numbers are low enough and they dont need DOT but have epa powertrains installed here.

The detomaso I suspect is running ford v8 power for this epa compliance reason, plus there is a historic connection to detomaso and ford v8, the cammer is a modern motor if not a bit heavy, and the price is right. Idealy a car that looks like a p3 Ferrari prototype ( I think there was a pinfarina p3 show car that was really close, had a corgi model as a kid) should run a v12. But where are you going to find a epa compliant v12, dont see ferrari or lambo supplying them.

8. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

Always thought this would be a good way to go, but alas not epa.

https://www.mercuryracing.com/engines/automotive.html

the new z06 motor is a great idea too, but it will be years before chevy sells those if ever.

i could say its hard to put amass market motor in a +1mill or +2mill car, but pagani has been doing that for years, although we might argue an amg 12 is a different animal.

9. Santiago Montenegro

Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2009
    Caracas
  10. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT