Detroit-area-PPI-shop recommendations? | FerrariChat

Detroit-area-PPI-shop recommendations?

Discussion in 'North Central - USA (MI, IN, OH, KY, WV)' started by gcalex, Dec 26, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Hi All,

So I'm looking for an Enzo-Era-savvy shop to do a PPI on a car at RM Sotheby's Blenheim, Ontario, Canada, offices. My understanding is that Blenheim is an hour and change across the border into Canada from the Detroit area.

If the shop is close by, I suspect that RM might be willing to bring it over, but my guess is that someone from the shop will have to go over and look at the car there; my understanding is that a lift is available on site, but whoever looks at the car should bring any tools that they would need for at least a compression check.

I know about Rock's Automotive Restoration, but it looks like it would be a 6-hour round-trip to have someone from there look at the car, and I was wondering if anyone knew of a good shop that was a little closer.

All thoughts greatly appreciated.

Cheers (and Best for the Holidays),
    Alex

2. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    you might be able to hire chuck capella and have him to the car...

jm2 likes this.
  3. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    Cauley Ferrari is in West Bloomfield, ~ 1/2 hour from Detroit. They do top-notch work.

jm2 likes this.
  4. fiatosca

fiatosca Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2013
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Full Name:
    Bob B
    Chuck Kapala in Birmingham would be my first choice

jm2 likes this.
  5. TBigs

TBigs Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2010
    NW Ohio
    Full Name:
    Terry
    I hear good things about Terry Myr. From what I understand, he's as good as they come. Should be a good bet on Ezo-era cars.

RM is fully equipped. No first hand experience, but they have looked after my relatives' cars for decades and do world class work.

6. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    is terry still in jail ?

jm2 likes this.
  7. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    no

8. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    That is great news. I have always wanted to meet him. He was the mechanic on my dads old Ferrari. I contacted him years ago just as he was about to throw all his old records away. I wouldn't have been able to find the serial number of the Dino if it weren't for him. Is he back working on cars?

9. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    the last I heard was that he was indeed again working on cars, but I was not able to verify that.