Devaluation of Portofino after a year | FerrariChat

Devaluation of Portofino after a year

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Jackalope, Nov 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jackalope

Jackalope Rookie

Jun 24, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jackalope
    Expecting delivery in a few months of a Portfofino. Assuming I decided to sell the car in say a year with about 5,000 miles on it , what type of a loss would I be taking. My total price on car before taxes is $250k. I am a new Ferrari owner so not sure what to expect as far as depreciation goes. Thanks!

2. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I'd guess around $210k in a year with 5,000 miles. Might be better than that though, since it seems like 1 year old California T is still around $190-200k with that mileage. Big price spread on Cali T's right now, $130ks to $250k+. And it seems that Portofinos can get crazy $$$ with options.

3. Golden Steed

Golden Steed Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    This is why I've been saying that 2020-2021 is the time to buy. If you get it pre-owned you can knock off a fat wad of depreciation and still get years of warranty service.

F2003-GA likes this.
  4. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I am not going to try and predict what a car would be worth after a year, but it will depend upon a few things, color, options, and how many are out there for sale at the time you want to offer yours. That can alter the cars price 10-15%. As someone who looses amazing amounts of money when I go through cars, I can give you a bit of advise be prepared, you will loose the tax (along with the insurance charge), and if you get 200K for the car in a year (and you do not have any accidents or paint repairs), and you drive it for 5K miles in a year, the cost per mile to own the car is not going to be pretty. That's why I never think about those things, or even think of what it will be worth.

socalmaserfan and 09Scuderia like this.
  5. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Not saying your story will be like mine but I lost $65k in one year on a new $240k Cali T HS. Depends on how popular the Portofino is I suspect.

6. Jackalope

Jackalope Rookie

Jun 24, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jackalope
    Hah this is exactly my struggle. Because what you said above is the likely scenario for me. I am torn between getting a 2017 or 2018 used Cali T HS and driving that for a year then moving to a used Portofino. I imagine the Cali T would lose value as well but not as much as the new Portofino. I am a first time buyer so I am sure Ill have fun in a Cali T as well. Def a catch 22 for me, I can afford the Porto but at same time am focused on $ etc.

7. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    My Cali 2017 T HS is still for sale at Ferrari of Tampa for $189k. I didn't notice much difference in the driving or acceleration between the HS and Portofino. The HS sounds way better than the regular Cali T although maybe not quite as good as the Portofino did. The styling of the Portofino is definitely better but if you are focused on value then the Cali T HS would be your best bet.

8. Cali from CT

Cali from CT Rookie

Jun 27, 2018
    Naples, FL
    Because it's a one year old new model, I'd venture to say your depreciation hit will be around 22% or $55k if you trade/sell to a Ferrari dealer. Dealer would therefore pay you $195k and list to sell at $210k ish. New car buyer takes the biggest hit but you should do relatively well because it's the Portofino and, I'm told, demand is strong.

9. tommygun64

tommygun64 Karting

Mar 24, 2018
    Europe
    Full Name:
    A.
    I believe you cannot compare the new Portofino of 1 year in the market to a new California with like 5-6 years in the market. In the first case you will have very few cars in the market and a waiting time of 1 year to get a new one. And raving critics about a very beautiful car. Low supply, very big demand. In the second case you had lots and lots of available cars in the market. And as i understand, not that raving reception. Certainly much greater supply and arguably less demand.

I believe we have seen a somewhat similar case the first year the 488 went into sale. If I remember correctly, you could find a lot of 458s on offer, but not so many 488s and the prices for the latter were very high. And mind you that the difference between 458 and 488 was not that as between California and Portofino.

At least that is the way I see it and of course it is all speculation.
    Hopefully I will manage to go through with my purchase of a Portofino and hopefully I will not have to worry about depreciation. If things don't go south I plan on keeping it as much as I can. :)

10. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    Tommy is correct...comparing the Port to the older and run out Cali T is not wise. We have a CT and a Port coming in the spring. The Port is a significant move up from the CT and the orders reflect that. Our dealer has sold all their spots for almost 2 years. Want a new Port you have to wait for 2020. Did the CT sell like that? I don't recall.

11. WLFerrari

WLFerrari Karting

Mar 17, 2017
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    I agree with your view. A lot have been said about buying the car a few years down the road because the original owner will have taken the crux of the depreciation - but he also had the pleasure of configuring the car the way he wanted it as well as being the first owner. If being the original owner is not important, then you should buy used as the price will reflect that.

12. Golden Steed

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed

Maybe this is the Cali in me talking, but isn't that what custom shops are for?

13. WLFerrari

WLFerrari Karting

Mar 17, 2017
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    I gather that you don’t buy new - that would give you the pleasure of configuring a new car the way you want. Custom would do what you are talking about but that would likely be on a used car. Having said that, people do modify new cars as well with options not available from the manufacturer. No right answer, to each their own.

14. Golden Steed

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    I'm still kinda new around here. I have to keep reminding myself that to Ferrari enthusiasts, "authenticity" is very important. Customizing seems to be frowned upon, as the value of a car is tied to it's factory configuration.

I come from Mustang and Corvette land where customizing is expected. Mild culture shock is to be expected.

MelbourneCarl and BlueC2 like this.
  15. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    40 to 50k excluding sales tax

Twosherpaz likes this.
  16. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Certainly I have seen modifications become more acceptable on the forum, but not in the way you would see in a Corvette. I am on Ferrari #7 (out of those two I built myself), I don't really see a big difference in one way or the other, and I am not known for my patience. I do agree there is no right answer, and I have said this many. many times over the years, no one needs a car like a Ferrari, they want it. It is not a logical purchase, and trying to put a dollar value on ownership is not going to work. If you do need to, it is probably not the right thing for you to do.

tommygun64 likes this.
  17. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    you won't have too much downside. I think Ryalex is right, end of 2019 sale you might be out $40k at most, maybe a trade or solid retail sale only $25k out. I then agree with Shotgun that 2020-2021 will be the gotcha zone, but not bad as the 2016-2017 T's. The market should be around $200k +/- after 2020. Cali T will be $140-150k then too.

I disagree with Ryalex on the Cali t sales, Jennie had one of the last ones made awesome spec with HS and 1,500 miles. It was near IMPOSSIBLE to sell even wholesale a year ago before the Portofino was out. 75% of dealers and independents didn't even want to touch it for low as $165k because they had too many. I think the asking prices now have a larger margin to market than any other Ferrari except maybe the FF/Lusso line. There are probably a few solid retail sales $175-185k, but just keep in mind all the inventory those few buyers have to pick from. We struggled, but ended up great trade value through Ferrari Ft. Lauderdale, part of it we took the GT3 for $5-10k above haggle market.

In closing, I know many disagree with me, especially everyone with a Ferrari Portofino, but it is a 4th generation California. I don't care what Ferrari tries to market it as or vested owners wish for. It is an amazing car, with especially better looks.

553 HP vs. 591 HP: Cali 30 to Cali T had larger jump.

Same engine: F154 BB vs. F154BD: Cali T had a more revolutionary engine change, Portofino barely even evolutionary.

Dimensions: 179.9" vs. 180.6" and 75.2" vs. 76.3"

The Portofino does have a 30% stiffer chassis and lighter which besides the looks, is one of the biggest advantages. For whatever reasons those that have driven both are pretty mixed about the improvement in handling. I will reserver judgement, but our Cali T with HS handled so much better all around that the Cali 30.

The litmus test is how evolutionary was the model or complete new one, if you call the Portofino a completely new model, then I won't argue with you if you consider the 30 and T new models too. I prefer to just call them new generations.

ScottS, wrs, Golden Steed and 3 others like this.
  18. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    J
    are you saying that in 2020 while the Portofino will be down around 200k but the California T will recover to 140-150k? Or do you think depreishiation is gong to be flat on the Cali t over the next few years as these are the prices the 15-16 models are at now. Or did you mean the 16-17 Cali T would be in the 140-150k range?

19. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Portofino will be mostly $200k +/- final retail ($220k asking), but Cali T will drop from current $165k to $140-150k. You always have to look at models in relation to each other, Portofino will be +$50k over Cali T +$25k over Cali 30 +$25k over Cali when it mostly settles out.

20. Golden Steed

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    I don't think this is a bad thing. Look, from the door handles forward, the Cali T is an effing beautiful car. It's that bug-eyed and bloated rear end that did it in. Well, the Porto fixes that flaw and throws in 40 horses. It's also probably the best sounding turbocharged car in the world, owing to integrating the turbines with the exhaust manifold.

The other thing is, regarding horsepower, do you care about the warranty? If you've got cash enough to live without it, it's important to note that Ferrari de-tunes it's cars to slot them into tranches. Fabspeed's forthcoming ECU (2020?) will get this thing to 7 bills and sub 3 second 60 dashes for sure. Now you're talking F12 numbers.

So look at the overall: if you buy this thing pre-owned you can work your way into a sub 3 second GT Ferrari Spyder for less than a quarter million. A car that will look sexy, sound great, have every modern amenity, It's looking more and more like the steal of the century. If you can live with 3.1 seconds to 60, you can keep the stock ECU and the warranty. Now we're not just talking about a steal, but a real value buy (as wasteful recreational expenditures go, anyway).

tommygun64 and rob lay like this.
  21. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    Yeah I understand what you are saying now, actually prices on the t are getting low enough I’m eyeballing the 15-16 models now since I prefer the interior more and the wife agrees that she likes the t a bit more as well. Prices on all California’s right now are kinda dropping and I can only attribute this to a combination of winter months and recent Portofino release. Even some authorized Ferrari dealers have some really nice prices on California’s. Figure if I’m gonna jump onboard sooner will be better then later.

22. WLFerrari

WLFerrari Karting

Mar 17, 2017
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    I think if you were to get a 2017 model, the pricing would be definitely sub $200 and perhaps $190 and maybe even lower. That should get you one with less than 1000 miles. Great Christmas present! And I would expect prices to be even lower in the early spring 2019 as more Portofinos will be our and in the midst of winter.

23. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    The original plan was to be searching for a car now, but an opportunity to purchase an apartment complex presented itself a few months ago and all funds allocated for “recreational” spending went twards that. I knew going in it would mean short term penny pinching but open the door to more secure financial footing for “recreational” spending in the future. There is the off chance that perhaps next fall I can indulge on a car, unless something drastic happens before then.

24. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Exactly

25. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002