dex-cool coolant for 550 maranello | Page 2 | FerrariChat

dex-cool coolant for 550 maranello

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by dersark_painclinic, Nov 4, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    FWIW I have been using the prestone dex-cool equivalent. It says approved by MB etc, dont have a can handy now or id read it. I probably would have never tried it if I would have heard all the rubarb. I was thinking of switching to Evans but since I have been a guinea pig on this I was waiting for some of you do do that. It sounds like a miracle coolant, but then again you know what they say if it sounds to good to be true....

2. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    I wouldn't touch Dex-Cool with a ten foot pole. I've seen with my own eyes, what it does. IT SUCKS!!!!!!!!

REMEMBER, quick fixes are for now, not forever - and we pay dearly for "the now"

3. SpannerMan

SpannerMan Karting

Nov 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Erik Rathmann
    I have been a professional mechanic longer than Dex Cool has been around, and would like to throw my two cents in.
    I don't care what motivated GM to start using it, political, economic, enviormental, etc.
    All cars that use it are supposed to get the supplemental pellets (ground walnut shells). The pellets seal the pores in the aluminum castings. Saturn cars used a then-new casting process that has poor cooling system sealing. I have seen Saturns freshly flushed (!) with coolant seeping out of the sides of the cylinder head. The pellets leave a film and buid-up on the radiator cap, in the coolant bottle, etc. My experience showed this as normal.
    I have seen thousands of cooling system problems. Most of them caused by corrosion. My opinion is that Dex Cool was marketed as extended life coolant, and it isn't. Neglect, poor workmanship during repairs, and customer denial (emotional or economic) seems to have helped GM cars eat themselves from the cooling jackets out.
    I treat Dex Cool like any coolant, if it has been in the car (any car) for a year, it needs to be flushed. I like the pellets. (they taste great) (joke) On a vehicle that has had regular service, the pellets seal the tiny seeping leaks that lead to radiator core replacement. On a car that has been neglected, or continues to be neglected, the pellets turn into an evil sludge.
    I agree with sticking with manufacturers recomendations.
    I like the BMW coolant because it is blue. Blue is cool.
    There is no replacement for regular competent care.
    And-RUST NEVER SLEEPS....

4. dersark_painclinic

dersark_painclinic Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    I called almost all ferrari dealers across US. They use Shellzoon conventional antifreeze the basic one. Some recommends BMW coolent Also checked BMW and MB dealers they are orange in collar and made her in US for them. finally which one you choose, G05 or you go with BMW/ MB or just use shellzone. final advise please.