[DFW] Anyone interested in a dyno day? | FerrariChat

[DFW] Anyone interested in a dyno day?

Discussion in 'Texas' started by GrigioGuy, Mar 5, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    As I mentioned in this thread :http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9768 I took my car to a local tuner here in Lewisville for a run on his Dynojet. It's not a fancy place, but they are serious car enthusiasts.

Would anyone else be interested in getting together on a Saturday in April or May to make some dyno runs? The owner of the shop is more than willing to open up for an exotic group. The costs should be reasonable -- he charged me $45 with air/fuel when he opened specially for me; an open dyno day the previous week was $40 for 3 runs with the fuel/air.

Matt, do you think the Pantera group would be interested?

Thoughts, anyone?

2. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
  3. GhostRider

GhostRider Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2002
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I know I would. The Pantera club has been talking about doing a dyno day as well, but we'd been thinking about holding off until a couple of guys get their cars back together. But count me in for sure, and I'll try to get others rounded up once a date is set.

4. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    I'll definitely be interested in May... assuming I've received my Stradale and had time to break it in (which won't take long) before the date you pick.

5. F328 BobD

F328 BobD Formula 3

Mar 17, 2001
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    BobD
    Matt, I think I know one of those guys. :)

6. GhostRider

Dec 20, 2002
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Haha, yes, you do! He is still claiming he will make it to the annual gathering in Vegas next month, but he is going to be cutting it close. I hear he finally got his body back from the paint shop yesterday.

7. 348 spy

348 spy Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2002
    LEWISVILLE
    Full Name:
    JANO
    tillman count me in.

8. 4Webers

4Webers Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    I'm in too.

9. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    could we find a place with a 4-wheel dyno, too?

10. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    The only place that I know that has a AWD dyno is Forced Induction Systems in Mckinney.

http://www.fi-systems.com/

11. future328driver

future328driver Formula 3

Dec 10, 2001
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Ken Thomas
    I would love to dyno my E55. Can it cause damage to the car?

12. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    I don't know of any, except maybe for the one listed above. This facility only has the 2 wheel dynojet.

Spoken like a lawyer :) As with anything else interesting in life, there's risk. You're running the car to its redline. It could blow up. The straps might fail and launch the car off the rack. A tire could shred and kill everyone within a 3 mile radius....

Realistically, the main danger is that there's already something weakening in the car, and that the runs on the dyno will cause that weakening to become visible. If the car has safe tires, enough oil and cooling, it should be fine. There were 4 huge straps on the lower A-arms on my car (the only place to tie it down) and a big wheel chock bolted in. That car didn't move at all. The owner of the place ran it on the dyno, and he handled it with kid gloves.

13. mdoan300

mdoan300 Karting

Nov 14, 2003
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael
    And would you believe it that the owner of FI Systems, Jason Lochhead, owned a yellow 355 prior to his WRX obsession? :D

Michael.

14. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    I looked at the calendar. Given that we definitely want Brian's car there, as well as the Pantera folk, and we don't want to run into the Poker Run, how's early June sound? Shouldn't be too hot by then. If that's OK, then I'll bug the owner and see what he says.

15. F328 BobD

F328 BobD Formula 3

Mar 17, 2001
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    BobD
    He's had his Pantera for 20+ years and I think the smile on his face is bigger now than when he bought it. Can't wait to see it when it's done. Did I hear he's shooting for 400 hp??? We'll see.

16. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Pictures! We want pictures!

(I dig the Panteras!)

17. GhostRider

Dec 20, 2002