(DFW) Old Pics from Green Valley Raceway | Page 11 | FerrariChat

(DFW) Old Pics from Green Valley Raceway

Discussion in 'Texas' started by DIGMAN52, Apr 2, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CHEVYAFX

CHEVYAFX Rookie

Oct 8, 2013
    I ran across this website while looking for infomation and photos from
    Green Valley Raceway. I have the Tiger II 65 Chevelle Altered Wheelbase
    Drag car which was built and run in Texas back during 1965-1967.
    Did not realize the Green Valley Raceway had a road race course also.
    Always looking for more photos and information about the Tiger II.
    Attached is a link from the H.A.M.B website that some may enjoy,lots
    of pictures from Green Valley(mostly Drag cars,some sports cars)

Famous Texas Tracks, Cars, Stories and SpeedShops - THE H.A.M.B.

John Wiley

2. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    Great link there John ! Looked through those stock cars to see if any of my buddies cars were in there. We were more '68'-70 racers. We had shirts printed up for the Hillcrest High School Street Racer's Club. Christmas tree lights on the front. Forest Lane every weekend night. Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end !

3. Altered59lark

Altered59lark Rookie

Nov 12, 2013
    Yes does anyone have any info and pics of the 55 chev called boogie rat that ran back in the day there?

4. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
  5. yb360

yb360 Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2004
    WA
    Full Name:
    John A.
    #255 yb360, Dec 29, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2013

Wow! I just stumbled onto this thread for the first time. I don't know how I've missed it for as long as it's been running.

I own a Shelby GT350 R-Model, 5R002. It was the first R-model built by Shelby and was the prototype and engineering car that they used to test components for all of the other R-models built after that. This car was first raced at Green Valley, TX on February 14, 1965, driven by Ken Miles as a team car for Shelby American. There are a few photos of this car running in that race that have been posted previously within this thread. (car #98, with all 4 wheels off the ground in some images) The photo above, in the post that I'm replying to shows 5R108 leading; with Jerry Titus driving my car 5R002 following. (Green Valley, February 1966) Titus won the practice race on Saturday, then Rodriguez won on Sunday (as you've stated above). It was long thought that Titus was driving the second Shelby American team car 5R001 when he ran at Green Valley in 1966; however, we've recently discovered that he was actually driving 5R002 and not 5R001 in this race. I'll spare you all the details as to how we confirmed this for now, but if anyone is interested, I can share that a bit later.

My car was sold by Shelby American as a used race car to Bill Clawson in Michigan about a month after the 1966 Green Valley race. He ran it successfully for the 1966 and 1967 seasons in his region, then he sold it to Russell Fish in Austin, TX. Fish ran it in the Southwest Region of the SCCA in 1968 and 1969, and won the division championship in the car in 1969. He normally raced in TX and LA; however, I've been told that he occasionally ran it outside of the area also.

I'm looking for photos of this car when it ran at any of the Texas / Louisiana races in 1965, 1966, 1968 and 1969. I'm also looking for confirmed racing results for SCCA BP races for 1968 and 1969. (anything that shows Russell Fish and his racing results specifically in 1968 and 1969) I've been told that when Fish ran the car, it was white with blue stripes, and generally numbered "31" on the side; however, I believe he also ran with other numbers, particularly in 1968.

We know that Fish won BP in the following races in 1969:

Green Valley 2/15-16
    Green Valley 6/21-22
    Austin Dragway Park 5/4
    Conroe Airport 5/18
    Chennault Air Base 6/1
    San Marcos 8/31
    Downtown Austin 8/2-3
    Galveston Airport 7/6

We are just finishing the restoration of this car and we're trying to gather as much historical data and as many period photos of it as we can.

If anyone is able to help me out, I would greatly appreciate it.

My direct email is [email protected] .

Thank you all in advance!
    John

6. yb360

yb360 Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2004
    WA
    Full Name:
    John A.
    #256 yb360, Dec 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. yb360

yb360 Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2004
    WA
    Full Name:
    John A.
    #257 yb360, Dec 29, 2013
    jamesdouglas1436 likes this.
  8. yb360

yb360 Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2004
    WA
    Full Name:
    John A.
    #258 yb360, Dec 29, 2013
    Here is a photo of Russell Fish driving 5R002. I'm not sure which track he's at in this race. (Sorry for the poor quality of the image, I don't have many of Fish driving.)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    John, that is some amazing history there. Thanks for sharing this with us !

10. texas1962

texas1962 Rookie

Apr 11, 2014
    My step father bought a new 69 Chevelle SS and back then I guess if you had a helmet and good brakes you could run like the big boys. I remember, I think it was the Green Mamba and the Lava jet cars would melt cars during the day of racing. Please don't hold me to what the cars were (might not have been mamba but I was only 10 and that's a long time ago) but they sure were a blast to watch! Great memories of Green Valley.

On another note, my real father was one of the first drivers to run rail cars at Yellow Belly Drag Strip (remember that place?) and in 1967 his brakes went out and he went off the end of the strip and I guess there was a wall in the ditch/creek ( once again, this time I was only 5 so please cut a little slack on details ) and he was killed instantly. His name was Johnny Barnes. RIP dad.

11. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    sorry to hear that, almost 50 years latter. RIP.

12. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    Sorry to hear about this crash at Yellow Belly and your loss. They had a very bad safety record there, and a tough crowd to boot.

Those Jet Dragsters were amazing to see and hear. Just the compression of the air when they they were preparing for a run was enough to get you covering your ears. Art Arfons had the Green Monster at Green Valley a bunch of times.

Always loved the wheelie cars as well, Little Red Wagon, Hemi Under Glass, and all those that followed.

13. RACERX4100SG

RACERX4100SG Rookie

Nov 18, 2014
    For anyone who is still looking at the great pics of Green Valley and the ones of Monk King Pontiac. The pic that is labeled monk king and 3 people or as follows. On Left is Monk King. On the right is Ken Risk the driver Monk selected to drive his cars to many Championships and the little guy kneeling down is Ken's Son GARY. (That's me) lol. Dad is now 85 and still going strong. I have raced all my life and have won multiple division championships along with 2 Nhra national event wins in SuperGas. Those were great days.

14. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    Any old pics from those days? Let's see some of your cars please !

15. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    Just saw this post on Facebook about the first Shelby Mustang victory in Trans Am racing at Green Valley on Feb. 14, 1965.

I was at that race with my neighbor, the advertising agent for Amalie PRO Racing Oil.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=4218089643058

Cool stuff. Hope the link posts.

16. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    Saw this today in our DFW Ferrari Club newsletter. Great article and follow up by on of our local members who saw the F1 racing of the 60's and 70's in person.

This paragraph caught my eye, about Green Valley.

Graham Whitehead only drove in one F1 race, the British GP in 1952 for Alta. I didn’t know him but I did know his brother Peter who drove F1 for Ferrari. Then just under that 275 GTB photo there is mention of Moss (always my hero) who won the TT race at Goodwood (which I watched with the elder Livermore), I love the comment that Moss won listening to the race commentary on his car radio. He repeated that in circa 1984 when there was a small race track in North Richland Hills, I believe it was called Green Valley Raceway (?). Moss was an entrant as was Carol Shelby. Moss was driving a Ferrari GTO entered by Don Walker (NOT the famous Rob Walker with whom Moss won numerous F1 races). Well Stirling won his race with his left arm resting on the window ledge and, you guessed it, listening to the radio. That was quite possibly Sir Stirling Moss’ last race. After the race, I was speaking with Moss and I invited him home to dinner. The intent being that I wanted him to accept some sponsorship from my company and Moss was always looking for sponsors. But things, including dinner, didn’t work out. Don’t remember why.

17. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    Found these pics from 1963 SCCA Racing at Green Valley.

Etceterini Cliff Reuter Jerry Melton SCCA Green Valley Texas 60's Photos

And 1965 Race. Including a couple of pics of Shelby, and the first Chaparrel.

Etceterini Cliff Reuter Jerry Melton 1965 SCCA Green Valley Texas Race

And from the 1966 race. This may have been posted earlier. Too lazy to look.
    This was the race I was at as a 14 year old kid.

Etceterini Cliff Reuter Jerry Melton 1966 Green Valley Texas SCCA Races

Some shots from after it closed down.

Stephens & Venables Dragster Restoration by Rip & Natalie Wiley

Between the drag races and the SCCA stuff, I spent many great days at the Valley, and going down memory lane is very therapeutic.

jamesdouglas1436 likes this.
  18. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    #268 DIGMAN52, Jul 10, 2015
    Great article in Sports Car Digest about my favorite era of racing, the mid to late 60's. I was in my early to mid teens then, and was slot car racing a Cox GT 40 and Chaparral at the local track. My parents had an account at the local pharmacy, and I was going through a lot of car magazines of all types. Was a drag guy as much as a sports car guy, but going to Green Valley with my neighbor, and the Amalie PRO Racing Oil team got me hooked.

I saw the Trans Am cars of the day, but never saw the Can Am cars until they raced in the historic's heat at the 1983 F1 Gran Prix in Dallas. Those Lola T 70's, Chaparral's, and the McLaren's were cooler to me than the open wheel cars of the day. Those intake trumpets, and exhaust systems were things of beauty ! I did get to visit with Jim Hall at his office, and later at the Oil Museum where his collection, during a Texas 1000 Road Rallye back in 2005, and finally got to see these beasts up close.

Here's the link about the Sebring race back then.
    1965 Sebring 12-Hour Grand Prix of Endurance - Race History & Photos

19. 61409

61409 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 18, 2009
    McKinney, Tx(Dallas)
    Full Name:
    Pat
    Digging through the website and I stumbled onto your photos of cars at Green Valley. I actually now own the 1965 Dodge 426 Hemi blue with yellow stripes and Crager mags. If it's possible I would like to give you my cell phone and if I could get a copy of it that would be great.
    Pat, 214-585-7756

20. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    #270 DIGMAN52, Aug 10, 2015
    If you car is the one in this pic, unfortunately it was a scan of a faded color 3" x 5" photo from back in the day. Wish I had stored them better.

Let me know if it is another car. Post of some pics from back then if you have any.

21. 61409

61409 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 18, 2009
    McKinney, Tx(Dallas)
    Full Name:
    Pat
    Digman, i happen to own the 65 Dodge in your list of photos. Any chance you can respond, I would like to get a copy of the photo from you.
    Thank you.

22. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    Great visiting with Pat today about his Dodge and the rest of his collection. I put a bug in his ear about getting our local FCA group out to see them sometime, and am very hopeful.

He was a Ft. Worth drag racer, who knew all the Dallas dealers who were racing then as well.

We need to get this guy out to an event soon !

23. 426matt

426matt Rookie

Sep 7, 2015
    #273 426matt, Sep 7, 2015
  24. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    anyone have pics of the Blue Goose? raced at Paris Drag, not sure how much around DFW. thanks.

25. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    Rob, I googled it and didn't come up with anything that looked to match. Any idea of what the car was ?